Shuddering on 1st gear on new clutch, normal?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I just installed a valair stage 3 clutch rated to hold 400lbs of torque. I noticed that is shudders on 1st gear as I'm releasing the clutch. is this normal? I previously had a sbc stage 2 daily and this never happened.

maybe it's the clutch material?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I can't really help, but my SBC 2E shuddered for a few hundred thousand miles. It was a high force clamp like yours (with which I have no experience) so it was very grabby and didn't like to be slipped, especially when new. It I really tried I could slip it in traffic or on a hill, but there was a fine line between disengaged and full clamp. It held everything I could throw at it but the grabbiness always annoyed me as it was my daily driver for many years.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I can't really help, but my SBC 2E shuddered for a few hundred thousand miles. It was a high force clamp like yours (with which I have no experience) so it was very grabby and didn't like to be slipped, especially when new. It I really tried I could slip it in traffic or on a hill, but there was a fine line between disengaged and full clamp. It held everything I could throw at it but the grabbiness always annoyed me as it was my daily driver for many years.
yeah the material is similar to the sbc 2e as I've looked around. I read some ppl never had issues and some didn't. I'm only about 100 miles in breaking it in. Feels like my motor mounts are gonna break lol.

so after a few thousand miles it eventually smoothed out?