What did you do to your MKIV today?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
From what I understand the Valeo manual starters have an extra tooth on the gear. I have one in my '02 ALH and it sure does crank nicely.

And yes, some more info on this 220A beast... :)

Douglas

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
From what I understand the Valeo manual starters have an extra tooth on the gear. I have one in my '02 ALH and it sure does crank nicely.

And yes, some more info on this 220A beast... :)

Douglas
Yes, they have one extra tooth and are 2.0kw instead of 1.8kw. They are also made with windings instead of permanent magnets and the front drive support is a needle bearing instead of the bronze bushing like the Bosch ones have.

As far as the 220 amp alternator. I learned that the audi q7/a7 etc tdi alternator mounts the same as the 4 cylinder cars, but just has a LIN controlled regulator which the computer can control instead of the ignition controlled with sense that the mk4-mk5 cars have. I saw that the regulator mounting was exactly the same as the regulator on the mk4/b5 cars with the Valeo alternators. I was able to install one of them in the 220 amp beast and it worked great! Previously I had only been able to do up to 180 amps using oem components, but now I can do the 220 ones. Its not cheap because of the core cost, but its oem quality and plug and play, which is what I was after.
I have seen way too many of the aftermarket high amp ones, which are often even higher amp, but they aren't plug and play and don't have a clutch pulley and so are very noisy as well. I wanted something different.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Whew! Washed and waxed both the wifes Avalon and the Wagone. Mine got the actual wax, orbital buffer. Cleans up well. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Picked up a set of steelies for my son's '11 JSW (he hates alloys) and grabbed another set of 15" steelies for my GSW. 8 wheels and tires fit in the Wagon, no problem.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
The plugs I got from IDParts have held up well for the last year and a half, they seem to be different from OEM and maybe two different types of material but still look new after two seasons of road salt.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I will refrain from posting all the crazy new beetle pics I have acquired over the years....
Although that would be a great thread to start. "post your favorite beetle" thread.
I found some missing plugs under the rockers... where to get one?

pretty much anywhere online you can find those. Or a parts yard for sure.

That's pretty neat, We have 2 beetle ute's up here. Would be fun to do on a cheap beat up gasser.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
After being MIA for a couple of months due to my formerly broken left arm, I finally changed out the turbo in my 2000 Golf. Put in the turbo from mom's 2005 BEW wagon that I'm trying to sell, plus the darkside intercooler and piping, and then loaded up another custom Podtronics tune.

The Podtronics tune involved hammer modding when the engine was at operating temp to close to 1.35v, and also changed IP timing to a hair above advanced (per my tuner's suggestions). The car definitely has more pep than before, but we're keeping it somewhat detuned because of my clutch choice. I won't be driving this car, and it'll eventually get a clutch rated in the 275-ish range, so I don't need it to be a torque monster like my other cars (hence also keeping the stock ALH intake mainfold).

Eventually, I'll put on another revision, but I'm also packing up for vacation, where I get to change another member's timing belt on their ALH. I actually really like doing timing belts (except on cars that have had severely deferred maintenance, where I need to use a dremmel to grind off seized harmonic balancer bolts, because some $#@$ decided they needed to be torqued to 80 ft lbs).

When I come back from vacation, I'm hoping to change the clutch in the same car with a VR6 (so I can finally replace that leaking rear main seal that the P/O lied and said they changed), and I think my last upgrade for a long while will be another LSD on my second 2002 Golf.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
@pkhoury, you need to buy a set of extractor sockets, the kind you hammer on that go around the outside of the bolt head. They work good on allen head bolts as well as normal hex head bolts.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
@pkhoury, you need to buy a set of extractor sockets, the kind you hammer on that go around the outside of the bolt head. They work good on allen head bolts as well as normal hex head bolts.
You mean 12 point metric sockets? I've used those before. Nothing was getting these bolts out, but a dremmel worked, and I was able to pull the harmonic balancer and then screw out the threaded portion. I've only had this happen on two cars, but why people tighten them so damn much, I don't know.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Not 12 pt. They fit around the head and have reverse "teeth" that grip so you can remove. Work on stripped or completely round heads. Just need the correct size.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
My sunroof has been broken longer than it worked. I never really cared that it didn’t work since I never used it. Well, after 11 years I decided I would care and I checked the fuse. Sure enough it was burnt out. :cool:

Replaced and now it works perfectly.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
You mean 12 point metric sockets? I've used those before. Nothing was getting these bolts out, but a dremmel worked, and I was able to pull the harmonic balancer and then screw out the threaded portion. I've only had this happen on two cars, but why people tighten them so damn much, I don't know.
Idk either. But check out what Zak99b5 posted. Never had them fail me.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
My sunroof has been broken longer than it worked. I never really cared that it didn’t work since I never used it. Well, after 11 years I decided I would care and I checked the fuse. Sure enough it was burnt out. :cool:

Replaced and now it works perfectly.
Lol just like the cruise control on my old farm truck, didn’t work when I got it and I never cared but now that it is my daily I started looking at getting it working, and sure enough those things work better when there’s actually a fuse in place 😂

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
What did i do to my mk4 today? I got bad ideas for it

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
After 400,000 miles and 23 years, the rearview mirror in mine has developed a loose ball couldn't and wiggles around whenever you drive over anything rough.

Instead of looking for a direct replacement, I just picked up a gentex auto dimming mirror with homelink and a compass. Now I just need to attach the mirror button and fish the wires into the headliner...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
My sunroof works much better since I removed the fuse. It no longer randomly tilts 2mm on the highway, just enough for a WTH is that noise moment :oops:
lol I’ve got two cars do that…..sometimes just sitting in the driveway by themselves .

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
My sunroof works much better since I removed the fuse. It no longer randomly tilts 2mm on the highway, just enough for a WTH is that noise moment :oops:
Hmm yes, I can see how that could be a problem!
I used to wish I’d found a Jetta with a sunroof, after a few years of reading about these cars here, not so much lol

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I’m have the gentex as well. Homelink is awesome.
The annoying part is that I don't think my current garage door opener has a homelink compatible receiver.
I'm going to have to find a appropriate homelink bridge receiver to be able to use it at the new house.
It worked at the place I was renting previously, but the Passat sun visor I have in the car is falling apart, and the repair parts for that homelink transmitter are NLA.