EGR at TCM Failure at 109,000

Nonnee2015TDI

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Hi, my husband's 2015 VW Golf Sportwagon experienced an EGR failure last week at 109,000 miles. We purchased this car in 2017 when the cars were released to the public. VW states it's not under warranty. We have paperwork that suggests warranty is to 150,000 and dealer told us the "life of the car." From the paperwork, the car is expected to have a life of 150,000 miles. For some strange reason the Transmission Control module failed within five minutes as well. Where is the TCM located? Dealer states the TCM is located inside the Transmission, and wants $9,000 just to fix that plus another $3,000 for the EGR. Is this even reasonable? Thanks for any help rendered.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Egr definitely is covered, and yes you're within the covered mileage (although I think the coverage is 11 years and 162k miles. See here)

Contact VW support (or try contacting a different VW dealership), and if they won't budge then contact the lawyers provided by the tdi settlement (search this forum for their contact details).

The transmission is not covered with the settlement warranty:
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:
• The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation
Catalyst (DOC), the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the Selective Catalytic
Reduction (SCR) Catalyst, the dosing injector and other DEF system
components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
• The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel
injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and
actuators;
• The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valves, EGR
cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes,
and all sensors and actuators;
• The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper; and
• The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other than
those related to the transmission
$9k for a transmission module is absurd (is the vehicle even worth that much?) Get a repair quote from a few independence mechanics, and also check if a rebuilt or used module could be installed.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most M-units are around $1400, plus some fluid, then the labor is about 3 hr typically. So, nowhere near 9k... that's crazytalk.

The EGR is covered under the warranty extension regardless.

I have seen some really, REALLY shady dealers pulling stuff like this. I'd get a second opinion by someone you can trust.

I had one of my long time customers have their CKRA Passat's turbo die (very common, even before the Dieselgate nonsense), and I KNEW with 100% certainty it was bad, and instructed them to tow it to the dealer, as it was covered. They called them and said the whole transmission "failed" and that they could not do anything until they replaced it. On the owner's dime. Seriously?

Nonnee2015TDI

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Egr definitely is covered, and yes you're within the covered mileage (although I think the coverage is 11 years and 162k miles. See here)

Contact VW support (or try contacting a different VW dealership), and if they won't budge then contact the lawyers provided by the tdi settlement (search this forum for their contact details).

The transmission is not covered with the settlement warranty:

$9k for a transmission module is absurd (is the vehicle even worth that much?) Get a repair quote from a few independence mechanics, and also check if a rebuilt or used module could be installed.
Basically, this car is in pristine condition for paint, suspension, tires, and interior for a "S" model. It's always been maintained according to the schedule. Transmission service was done at 40,000 and 80,000 respectively. The most recent repair was replacement of the upper/lower sway bars in the front. There was no warning about transmission issues. I did find another transmission place to check out the car. I'll call the lawyers regarding the EGR. Thank you for the links and valuable information! You help is greatly appreciated!

Nonnee2015TDI

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
What's really irksome to me is that about three years ago I took my Mother's 2007 Passat Wagon to get the transmission repaired. The dealer said they could not do the repair, and I gave the permission for them to ship it back to Germany for the "repair." It was never repaired, and kept jerking just as badly as it had been doing when shifting. They never did the VAG on the transmission control module to reset the transmission at all when they put it back in, and they refused to work on it further after we had paid about $10,000. Not happy about that at all! So basically, I've lost faith in this dealership. BUT today, they did say they would contact VW about taking care of the EGR. We will say what the answer will be today after service said VW would not honor the warranty.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
There was no warning about transmission issues. I did find another transmission place to check out the car.
Does the transmission act up or misbehave? Do you know first hand that something is wrong with it? Maybe the dealer is taking you for a ride and maybe nothing is wrong with the transmission?

Buy a $20 OBD scan tool off Amazon (or better yet, a VCDS cable) and see if there is any error codes on the car.

Nonnee2015TDI

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen
Does the transmission act up or misbehave? Do you know first hand that something is wrong with it? Maybe the dealer is taking you for a ride and maybe nothing is wrong with the transmission?

Buy a $20 OBD scan tool off Amazon (or better yet, a VCDS cable) and see if there is any error codes on the car.
The transmission has never acted up at all until last Friday. It went into limp mode with the EGR failure, and it gave an error on the dash that there was a transmission error, and it also reported it would not go into Reverse. My Hum gave me both of the error codes that I looked up. I went this morning to have it towed to a transmission shop for a second opinion, and a different service advisor drove it up to the front to go home, and said it drove perfectly with no loud engine noise, and it would go into reverse. Another Tech did find and document the error codes and found the reported issues we told them about...loud engine noise, limp mode (not driving more than 20 mph) and failure to reverse...but today it's not doing that when they pulled it up to the front?? All of the sudden the transmission is cured? That's doubtful. The only work we have had done within the last three weeks is replacing the upper and lower sway bars in the front of the car. It makes me wonder if something went wonky when they were working on that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Heh, that 2007 Passat just needed a valve body. Very common with the Aisin transmissions of that era, I've done a bunch of those. Cheaper and easier than the M-unit in the DSG.

PeterA1

TDI
16 A6 3.0TDI
I read the court documents pretty thoroughly a few weeks ago and I'm about 75% sure I saw that the TCM is one of the covered parts under the warranty, however the transmission is not covered.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I read the court documents pretty thoroughly a few weeks ago and I'm about 75% sure I saw that the TCM is one of the covered parts under the warranty, however the transmission is not covered.
To add this, certain 09 TDI had the TCM as well the Full DSG included in the dieselgate warranty.

I think it's stupid VW not to include all TDI if VW flashed FW changes to the emissions scandal.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you find the section that says TCM is included? This is a 2015 model in question.

2015 (gen 3) warranty info.

The parts covered:
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or systems:
• The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation
Catalyst (DOC), the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the Selective Catalytic
Reduction (SCR) Catalyst, the dosing injector and other DEF system
components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
• The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel
injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and
actuators;
• The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, including EGR valves, EGR
cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes,