Clockspring compatible?

treeedweller

TDI
12 Jetta TDI
This 2012 Jetta I bought recently—horn won’t work, high beams won’t work. Cruise control works fine. I’ve done some reading and I think it’s the Clockspring? Car had previously been wrecked at front end. I assume airbag deployed, no way to confirm.
Does this sound like I’ve diagnosed correctly?

I found a used, 30-day-guarantee part. It says it fits my car, but also says “no steering wheel controls.”As far as I can tell, this part doesn’t engage with the steering wheel controls (which I do have), and it looks the same as in youtube videos where guys are replacing it with the controls. Is this part compatible with my car?

thanks,
Keith

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
This 2012 Jetta I bought recently—horn won’t work, high beams won’t work. Cruise control works fine. I’ve done some reading and I think it’s the Clockspring? Car had previously been wrecked at front end. I assume airbag deployed, no way to confirm.
Does this sound like I’ve diagnosed correctly?

I found a used, 30-day-guarantee part. It says it fits my car, but also says “no steering wheel controls.”As far as I can tell, this part doesn’t engage with the steering wheel controls (which I do have), and it looks the same as in youtube videos where guys are replacing it with the controls. Is this part compatible with my car?

thanks,
Keith
Best way is to get part number off of old clockspring & then go from there
ran into the same problem as I ordered online & was wrong so got number off of old clockspring & called dealer

treeedweller

TDI
12 Jetta TDI
I finally broke down and investigated under the car. Found the bundle of wires along the passenger fender has been cut and spliced back together. So now I’m doing my best to decipher wiring diagrams from Haynes gasser manual and hoping they aren’t significantly different from my TDI. ☹ I’m suspicious of the brown wire from horn to a factory bundle of two brown wires may be reversed, although the way it’s sealed looks like they both may ground together.