MN Chat Thread

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
The latter. That being said, you should verify that your car does indeed reach 190F when driving down the road. I've seen a bunch of CJAA and CKRA thermostats opening prematurely (or stuck open).

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
The latter. That being said, you should verify that your car does indeed reach 190F when driving down the road. I've seen a bunch of CJAA and CKRA thermostats opening prematurely (or stuck open).
Using my obd2 reader, it registers at around 170 and some change. Under heavy throttle it doesn't really budge to much from there though. The vehicles gauge itself shows 190. Would you suggest I swap out the thermostat or is this pretty normal?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
yeah swap the tstat, be sure and get the tstat that has a rubber seal inside it and no bleeder hole

the gauge reads 190 for a very wide range of actual temperatures

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I'm in the same spot Bunny. I think mine is opening when it shouldn't be at times. Going to replace it this spring. Hopefully I'll get better heat in the winter after that. Several times when its pretty cold I would be going down the hwy pull off onto a side road and suddenly feel the air vent heat get colder. This is with the full radiator blocked off. Hoping that will give me better heat next winter.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
I'm in the same spot Bunny. I think mine is opening when it shouldn't be at times. Going to replace it this spring. Hopefully I'll get better heat in the winter after that. Several times when its pretty cold I would be going down the hwy pull off onto a side road and suddenly feel the air vent heat get colder. This is with the full radiator blocked off. Hoping that will give me better heat next winter.
Yeah I noticed my heat is nothing like what my gti was putting out. Figured it was either the heater core or the tstat. Supposedly the heater core is covered under a warranty. Gotta make a trip to a dealer and see.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It is also a diesel, but they still have decent heat. Then again I only know the 1.9 feel, so a jsw may have way better heat. I know that it makes a surprising amount of difference if you throw in a lower temp tstat. Someone I know did in a 4.0 cherokee, and the thing had terrible heat after that and you could barely get the heat going after that. Everyone complains about them things always running so hot (about 210) but if you put a 160 in it it stays cool.... just terrible in the winter that way.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
It is also a diesel, but they still have decent heat. Then again I only know the 1.9 feel, so a jsw may have way better heat. I know that it makes a surprising amount of difference if you throw in a lower temp tstat. Someone I know did in a 4.0 cherokee, and the thing had terrible heat after that and you could barely get the heat going after that. Everyone complains about them things always running so hot (about 210) but if you put a 160 in it it stays cool.... just terrible in the winter that way.
Wonder if someone did that to mine or it's just faulty now.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Wonder if someone did that to mine or it's just faulty now.
Not likely. I've never seen a car in which someone changed one. Especially on that new of a car. Most people never change them unless it completely fails or they send it in for a heat problem. Either way not likely. The guy I know only changed the tstat in the jeep because he thought it was stuck closed because it would overheat at a light. I changed the fan relay (fan wouldn't kick in which was a dead give away) and it was fine.

I'm sure Greengeeker has done quite a few though:D

Last edited:

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Sounds faulty. I'm used to seeing them max out in the 165-170F temp when they're bad. Should go straight to 190F and stay above that. CKRA's higher yet.
Sounds like a spring project to me. Gonna do my timing belt before my trip to Florida in April. Guess I'll add that to my list for the week.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
I had the same issue with mine, new stat fixed it. It still takes from the Cloud to Clearwater for full temp though in Below Zero F.

DieselBunny, have you thought about FrostHeater?
Is that like a block heater or something else?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Is that like a block heater or something else?
Frost heater. They are great for warming your coolant in the winter if you have access to an outlet. Set an electrical clock timer for 2hrs before you leave, unplug before you get in the car and you are on your way with a prewarmed (-ish) engine. They work awesome as long as you have an outlet or extension cords.
I have had them in both my tdi's, don't use it anymore though because I don't have access to an outlet. When its -5 and lower their so nice to get quick warmth from the vents.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Frost heater. They are great for warming your coolant in the winter if you have access to an outlet. Set an electrical clock timer for 2hrs before you leave, unplug before you get in the car and you are on your way with a prewarmed (-ish) engine. They work awesome as long as you have an outlet or extension cords.
I have had them in both my tdi's, don't use it anymore though because I don't have access to an outlet. When its -5 and lower their so nice to get quick warmth from the vents.
I guess I'll get one when I buy a house later this year. I'm in an apartment right now. I suppose I could park it in my garage with an outlet but it stays decently warm in there.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Add some cardboard to get you through this winter.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Idk how cold it gets there, but whenever I've been through Illinois in the winter its been like no snow and 35+ in which case no you don't really need it. I block mine off for the whole winter, but really it's most helpful when its like 10 degrees or less.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta tdi in clean condition. for parts. Said he would sell the whole thing, but it needs a lot of work (busted oil pan which killed the oil pump chain/system) the hubs and struts are also missing amongst other broken things. Pretty clean for body parts though.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice. I talked to him about buying the whole car, but opted not to. Asked what he wanted for the trans and stuff but I haven't heard back. same with the head.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
here and I'm looking for a sedan to turn into a pickup...
just feels wrong to chop a wagon, even though I've got three of them in terrible condition

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
here and I'm looking for a sedan to turn into a pickup...
just feels wrong to chop a wagon, even though I've got three of them in terrible condition
car was in too nice of condition for that lol (could be ute'd though). Pretty clean, blue, and 240k . It would have been worth fixing up had he not cut up and removed a bunch of stuff off the front end. He pulled both front struts, hub's, and cut the tie rods so not even a roller at this point. Plus needed an oil pan, oil pump chain, tensioner, possible radiator leak, and maybe more. Might as well do the TB with the oil pump chain and front seal. Ended up being a lot more money and work then I have the time for and the 1500$ price tag started looking less appealing.
I'm finding that as I get older and the more I go and do the more I find myself wanting a wagon. It's on my list of "somedays"

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well. My replacement rad actually seals .. go figure. So I've got everything to get it running. Gotta stop by the dealer and get some screws. But this sat I've gotta pull the motor on my subi.. it needs a clutch and a head replaced.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sounds faulty. I'm used to seeing them max out in the 165-170F temp when they're bad. Should go straight to 190F and stay above that. CKRA's higher yet.
I was thrown for a loop this last summer regarding this. Our 2015 wrangler was sitting around 220° and I was freaking out. Turns out it's normal operating temp... The electric fan supposedly doesn't even turn on till 226°

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
A diesel Mitsubishi delica.
Not a VW, but still a very neat looking vehicle. I see it driving around all the time. I want to ask him if he could take me for a quick ride in it:D.
Those things are cool. I saw one pop up on cars and bids when I was looking for my wagon. It was real tempting but I feel like I'd have a hard time getting parts for it.