Cr170 and 4 bar map upgrade- what’s needed

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
I have read both sides, need a tune, do not need a tune… I have read map needs a tune…. Not reading anything black and white.

Cjaa- currently on a stage 2 tune with the need for a new turbo. Looking to Installing a cr170 soon- I have read that I need to re-establish the actuator with vcds, but other than that turbo will run fine with a stage 2 tune. Is this correct or no?

4 bar map sensor- can I install without updating the tune?

Last edited:

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Thank you for clarifying this for me.

I’m sure many are thinking “search” and unfortunately there are many posts that contradict…
Maybe for CR there is not enough info, not many passed the limits of 3bar sensor. If you search for PD engines, the subject is very elaborated everywhere. Long story short, you shouldn't install any other sensor without software adaptation. They are working differently (different curve) and for the same real pressure, the ecu sees something else. This is valid for other pressure sensors, like Rail.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
No, it will go into limp mode right away when you start the engine and will not make more than 5-6psi. Also for a normal cr170 you don't need a 4 bar map sensor. My cjaa is tuned for a 4 bar map and the mechanic didn't install the 4 bar map. When i started the engine it was turning on into limp mode right away. I ask my mechanic if he installed the 4 bar map and told me his assistant did and i had a feeling they didn't and i was right. Found the 4 bar map lying around the shop and i looked at him and say so? :cautious:
You can install the upgraded metering valve for the cp4 it doesn't need a tune or anything and the car will feel better of course if you are going cp3 is not worth it. GM Genuine Parts 12641035 Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve here is the metering valve from Amazon is the same one Darkside sells for almost US$100 more.

Last edited:

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)
No, it will go into limp mode right away when you start the engine and will not make more than 5-6psi. Also for a normal cr170 you don't need a 4 bar map sensor. My cjaa is tuned for a 4 bar map and the mechanic didn't install the 4 bar map. When i started the engine it was turning on into limp mode right away. I ask my mechanic if he installed the 4 bar map and told me his assistant did and i had a feeling they didn't and i was right. Found the 4 bar map lying around the shop and i looked at him and say so? :cautious:
You can install the upgraded metering valve for the cp4 it doesn't need a tune or anything and the car will feel better of course if you are going cp3 is not worth it. GM Genuine Parts 12641035 Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve that's the one Darkside sells for almost US$100 more.
This metering valve is currently unavailable. Do you know anywhere i could buy one?
Darkside hpfp metering valve costs about £170 delivered to Ireland which is far too dear..

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Last edited:

clannnabanna

TDI
Golf 1.9tdi (mark 5)

Would this item fit my Seat Leon (1P) mk2 CR170 (CFJA oval port) 2.0 16V tdi?
Is it exactly the same as the one darkside sell for over £150? Does this add another 5bhp to my car?

Thanks

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG

Would this item fit my Seat Leon (1P) mk2 CR170 (CFJA oval port) 2.0 16V tdi?
Is it exactly the same as the one darkside sell for over £150? Does this add another 5bhp to my car?

Thanks
Would have to compare the back side where the numbers are to that one. It looks the same... IDK if when i put the GM one in my TDI stage 2 it added power but it felt better for sure... happier.

Last edited:

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have read both sides, need a tune, do not need a tune… I have read map needs a tune…. Not reading anything black and white.

Cjaa- currently on a stage 2 tune with the need for a new turbo. Looking to Installing a cr170 soon- I have read that I need to re-establish the actuator with vcds, but other than that turbo will run fine with a stage 2 tune. Is this correct or no?

Where'd you find this about an actuator adaptation? I'd heard about the 4 bar MAP sensor and the turbo, but nothing about having to calibrate the actuator.

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
Where'd you find this about an actuator adaptation? I'd heard about the 4 bar MAP sensor and the turbo, but nothing about having to calibrate the actuator.
Stevenson told me to ensure calibration was performed as soon as the turbo was replaced.

This was the video I used.

The 4 bar map- there is no way, until I have the front of the car pulled off for some other reason….. no Way is that getting swapped out… total pain to just get to…. So I stopped.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
For people who ran the GM metering valve, Was there any notable difference? What is the overall purpose of that?
The GM metering valve have 20-25% more flow than the stock one. According to what i read it fills the fuel rail faster than the stock one. No tune needed and it does make a bit of a difference. I felt the engine started faster and after 3k rpm i felt like a nice little kick in power. The car felt better while it was stage 2. Nodoby have dyoned the car before and after installing the metering valve so no one can say how much power it adds.
According to Darkside ( Increases on the 2.0 engine are milder with only 5 or more lbs of torque and 6hp at the top end. With further mapping greater increases will easily be had, especially at lower RPM's ) but don't take that as 100% sure. Anyone with a cp4 i recommend installing the GM metering valve if it's tuned better.
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/cp4-hpfp-metering-valve-upgrade.html

If you are installing a new turbo if it comes with the actuator maybe you have to do it or maybe don't. If you install a new actuator then yes it needs calibration. For example my Xman cr170 didn't need calibration because they calibrate the actuator. I asked another person who installed the Xman cr170 and he told me didn't have to do anything to the actuator. Dosen't hurt to do the actuator test to confirm is everything is right. To calibre the actuator you need the specials tools to do it. You don't need a 4bar map with a cr170 from what i know. Ask your tuner to see if they reccommend one for a normal cr170. Malone reccommend me a 4 bar map for my Xman cr170.