Compressor Surge

SMITDI757

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI CJAA
First post here, Thank you for any help in advance.

Stock 2011 Jetta TDI CJAA

I recently developed a compressor surge. I noticed it the first time when it was releasing boost changing from 3rd to 4th gear. It has progressed to now I can hear it every time I accelerate and let off the throttle. The first thing I was going to try is to replace the Diverter Valve but I can not find any diagram for it anywhere. All I find is diagrams for TSI's and GLI's. Any help with the location of the Diverter Valve would be INSANELY appreciative. Or if anybody has had any luck with replacing a different part or just simply cleaning out the EGR.

smelly621

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Tacoma
There is no diverter valve on a CJAA TDI, and the egr valves don't clog anymore since diesel went ultra low sulfur. You might check for any boost leaks, or if it's actually real surge some obstruction in the intake track. Logging actual vs. Requested boost and n75 duty cycle with VCDS would also help figure out what's going on

SMITDI757

TDI
There is no diverter valve on a CJAA TDI, and the egr valves don't clog anymore since diesel went ultra low sulfur. You might check for any boost leaks, or if it's actually real surge some obstruction in the intake track. Logging actual vs. Requested boost and n75 duty cycle with VCDS would also help figure out what's going on
Update: CEL popped on the other day when taking her out to regen the DPF. Assuming that it popped when the DPF tried to regen. The codes that populated are P0401 EGR system insufficient flow upper limit reached. P2002 particulate trap bank 1 efficiency below threshold.
Is is possible the compressor is surging because of a clogged EGR filter at the dpf?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Those faults are basically saying your DPF and EGR cooler is bad. Due to the fact that the EGR cooler has sooted up and is clogged. Done a couple just DPFs and that EGR fault returns even after a regen. New Cooler is usually the case as well. But If its plugged up enough, it could cause restriction in exhaust flow.

SMITDI757

TDI
Those faults are basically saying your DPF and EGR cooler is bad. Due to the fact that the EGR cooler has sooted up and is clogged. Done a couple just DPFs and that EGR fault returns even after a regen. New Cooler is usually the case as well. But If its plugged up enough, it could cause restriction in exhaust flow.
Makes sense that it would be clogged, I was unaware that it needed to be driven extensively for it to regen. Was driving it 10 minutes a day for a couple months. Codes popped when I took it for a long drive assuming when it tried to regen.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Regens could take up to 40 minutes or so to perform and usually needs to be at a constant speed. Basically drive on the highway for like 40 minutes but it doesnt happen all the time either.