What did you do to your Passat today?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
CKRA are actually good engines as long as its deleted. Otherwise CJAA (golf, Jetta, JSW) has better turbo and lighter body. Passat with CKRA are too heavy and DPF/DEF plus emission mandated programming made it hard on the small sized turbos on those CKRA’s hence why they fail left and right. Delete will make it breathe better.
Passat is about the same weight at a CJAA Mk5/mk6, maybe 2-400LB heavier but it's not substantially heavier. They lightened the NMS by a crazy amount compared to previous gens.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
well i'll be, i just looked it up a 2012 Passat TDI is around 3300lbs

a mk5/mk6 JSW is around 3300lbs,

mk5 jetta is 3200LBS

mk6 jetta is 3200lbs

so yeah any weight difference is prob trim relayed not really chassis related , SEL being heavies S being lightest.

Hard to say NMS is "too heavy" and thus not designed for the extra weight.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
well i'll be, i just looked it up a 2012 Passat TDI is around 3300lbs

a mk5/mk6 JSW is around 3300lbs,

mk5 jetta is 3200LBS

mk6 jetta is 3200lbs

so yeah any weight difference is prob trim relayed not really chassis related , SEL being heavies S being lightest.

Hard to say NMS is "too heavy" and thus not designed for the extra weight.
my bad, I was referring to the 2015 Passat TDI, they are 3408 lbs. CVCA engine.

2012-14 Passat TDI on several websites kept saying 3397-3,494 lbs............

MK6 JSW's averages on several websites are 3,283 Lbs.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Well, I got home yesterday and there's a really strong coolant smell from the engine bay. There's been a slight smell after driving for a while, but this was a lot. I guess I will see if the smell goes away.

They replaced the turbo, water pump, all associated timing belt parts, head gasket and the Adblue heater.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Well, I got home yesterday and there's a really strong coolant smell from the engine bay. There's been a slight smell after driving for a while, but this was a lot. I guess I will see if the smell goes away.

They replaced the turbo, water pump, all associated timing belt parts, head gasket and the Adblue heater.
yikes.... did coolant "disappear" lately? before head gasket was done that is. if that is the case, been hearing warped heads for CKRA's lately...... hence disappearing coolant. a friend of mine mentioned it few months ago, I was flabbergasted. now I know......... they are beyond livid when I told them.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Coolant started disappearing after my 100k maintenance. The tech said coolant was weeping from the water pump, and the head gasket was bad.

I have only driven it twice since picking it up, so I will keep a close eye on it.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I took mine back to the dealership. It started losing power, missing, and then went into limp mode. Flashing glowplug light and it would not idle well at all.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
It was running like one of the cylinders was cutting out. So either no fuel, air or compression.

No news from the service department yet.

At least the Taos they gave me gets better mileage than the Atlas did.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I got it back today. Still ticking louder than it should be. It quiets when warm, but still seems loud.
The dealership said there is no coolant leak, and they found the fuel pressure sensor connector loose.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've weighed my 2015 SEL and it is 3,520 pounds with a full tank of fuel.
Omg that so heavy, I have to imagine your drive line failed shortly there after with such an overloaded car ;)

Car hit 91K, low def light came on, 2.5 gallons in. Last time we had a low DEF light was May 2021 at 69K, at that time picked up 5 gallons, added 2.5 then another 2.5 gal 5K miles later.

Def prices per gallon at the pump were 4.79, ouch! it was around 2.49 back in 2021, but I really can't complain with that sort of consumption.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
My F-250 with 6.7 diesel very reliably consumes just about 1 gallon of DEF every 1000 miles. I top it up every couple thousand miles.
But my '13 VW Passat hardly consumes any DEF at all. In the first 5,000 miles since installed the Kerma tune I could not pour more than about 10 fluid ounces to reach completely full. Before the tune it was consuming about 1 gallon every 5000 miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
our town has scales you have to drive over to check into the "transfer station". I always enjoy asking what the Alltrack weights, I think with the AWD system and junk in the car its around 3600 if not more, online says its about 3300-3400 for curb weight, my wide butt doesn't help anything.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Walked out to the garage to find a large puddle of bluish liquid under the front passenger side bumper. Determined it to be washer fluid. After taking off wheel, wheel well and removing washer tank, discovered the problem. The transfer tube had a very small crack right at the end of the nipple for the quick release attachment to pump. I pulled off the tube, trimmed the end slightly, slid a piece of heat-shrink tubing over it, then reattached and shrunk the tubing down. I used my lungs to pressurize the tank, no leaks. Reassembled everything. On a side note, while in there I did notice that the rubber dust covers for both of the parking lights (a smaller dome-shaped cover) had disintegrated in the middle. Weird.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Passat is about the same weight at a CJAA Mk5/mk6, maybe 2-400LB heavier but it's not substantially heavier. They lightened the NMS by a crazy amount compared to previous gens.
It's hard to find solid weight information for a couple reasons. All the published numbers tend to be listed as 'base curb weight' numbers which leads me to believe that it doesn't account for subtle differences due to options...so what ever the base car would be with that engine and trans, but without accounting for much else.

I also tend to think that the supplied numbers are generic because perhaps the NHTSA or DOT wants a number so they can categorize cars for comparison, so it's in the best interest of VW for instance to provide the lowest viable number possible because someone may use that as a criteria for something...who knows.

At any rate this is a list of some weights that I found (again base curb weight) provided via Edmunds under the specs. I have noticed that they do change from year to year however I still believe you want an accurate weight drive your car over a scale somewhere. My 1990 B3 TDI wagon 6MT weighed in a 3250 crossing the scale (me inside at ~200lbs + full tank and 100lbs of tools).

None of them are all that far apart, at least in the numbers reported by Edmunds. At any rate it would appear that the NMS did not actually lose a bunch of weight over the B6...and in fact may have actually gained some weight...if the numbers can be trusted.

Steve

2012 NMS 6MT TDI sedan 3360 lbs
2006 Mk5 Jetta TDI 5MT sedan 3197 lbs
2009 Mk6 Jetta TDI 6MT sedan 3230 lbs.
2005 B5.5 Passat TDI AT sedan 3450 lbs
2008 B6 Passat 6MT sedan 2.0t 3206 lbs
2008 B6 Passat DSG sedan 2.0t 3246 lbs
2007 B6 Passat DSG wagon 2.0t 3512 lbs
2008 B6 Passat DSG wagon 2.0t 3378 lbs
2009 B6 Passat DSG wagon 2.0t 3512 lbs
2010 B6 Passat DSG wagon 2.0t 3455 lbs.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
Walked out to the garage to find a large puddle of bluish liquid under the front passenger side bumper. Determined it to be washer fluid. After taking off wheel, wheel well and removing washer tank, discovered the problem. The transfer tube had a very small crack right at the end of the nipple for the quick release attachment to pump. I pulled off the tube, trimmed the end slightly, slid a piece of heat-shrink tubing over it, then reattached and shrunk the tubing down. I used my lungs to pressurize the tank, no leaks. Reassembled everything. On a side note, while in there I did notice that the rubber dust covers for both of the parking lights (a smaller dome-shaped cover) had disintegrated in the middle. Weird.
Update...turn out the crack was a chew mark from mice. Time to buy some traps/poison/etc. -whatever will work. They also chewed the coolant return line on my wife's GLE 350, causing coolant spray that resembled pumping blood from a cut artery.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
must be thirsty little suckers, decon will do that to them.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
Another update, when going to buy the traps/poison/etc. yesterday, turned car on and ABS, traction control, TPMS lights all on, no power steering or power brakes. Turns out he chewed through a 3 wire sensor plug coming off the harness. I was able to pull back the wires and reattach, all good. This happened same night as he gnawed on my wife's coolant return line!

BTW, NOT a mouse, saw him this morning -a small roof rat I think.