2023 TDIfest/GTG discussion thread

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I figured I'd preemptively start yet another thread, since there's only a couple of months left in 2022.

Someone suggested an East and West TDIfest. I'm all for something regional, even if it's semi-informal. I know for some of us, like myself, I acquired MORE TDIs since dieselgate (mom has a BEW, CJAA, and EA288 TDI, and I currently own 5 ALHs, a BRM and a CJAA), and always enjoy meeting other TDI owners.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
wish
fish
fist
fest
There, your wish has become a fest. Enjoy.

What HAS been done before has been summarized.
That doesn't mean that any gathering needs to be this way, but the outlines contained in that thread above can be a guide on which organization can be developed.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
wish
fish
fist
fest
There, your wish has become a fest. Enjoy.
I feel stupid - I had to read this three times to get it.

But seriously though - even if it's not a national TDIfest, I really think we all need to figure out something by way of regional GTGs at the least. More like car meets. Vendor support would be nice, but I'm not really asking for it.

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
I'd be down for a meet & road trip, depending on time & distance, etc.

Is there a member map or anything with membership statistics on location?

Reactions: Ton

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Probably not for privacy reasons, but I'm sure something could be done using google maps for those that don't mind opting in, me included.

Nice cars you have as well - mom also has a 2014 Beetle 6M, and I have a 2013 JSW 6M. Finding her Beetle was literally a needle in a haystack. CPO, 8K original miles, and she flew one way to Pennsylvania and drove it back here. Haven't even done the first oil change yet myself, though she's been daily driving it lately, so I might soon.

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
Probably not for privacy reasons, but I'm sure something could be done using google maps for those that don't mind opting in, me included.

Nice cars you have as well - mom also has a 2014 Beetle 6M, and I have a 2013 JSW 6M. Finding her Beetle was literally a needle in a haystack. CPO, 8K original miles, and she flew one way to Pennsylvania and drove it back here. Haven't even done the first oil change yet myself, though she's been daily driving it lately, so I might soon.
Dude that is great! My mom has an 02 Turbo S Beetle that should be replaced soon, but its been a great car! 8k miles, that's crazy. Worth the trip for sure.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Is there a member map or anything with membership statistics on location?
I recall seeing a map with indicators, but it was years ago and I didn't see it with a quick perusal of the likely threads (past TDI fests).
No doubt the current geographic distribution will be much different.

Residency has had not as much bearing on attendance as might be expected. An interesting venue will entice more participation from further away than a proximate, convenient, but hum-drum one.

Field of Dreams analogy: If you host it, they will come.

TheDRog

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I might be in depending on if it is during the winter and where. Springtime is probably better IMHO.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Spring/summer time would be best. More comfortable. Plus makes roadtrips alot better.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
Maybe northern Virginia close to the VW headquarters. The fest was in a motel parking lot last time I went. Virginia has quite a few TDIs. No clue how it compares to other states. Just going by the number of Virginians I see on this forum. There's a shop in Fincastle, VA that fixes TDI's. Maybe we could have a fest down there if nothing works out in northern VA.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe northern Virginia close to the VW headquarters. The fest was in a motel parking lot last time I went. Virginia has quite a few TDIs. No clue how it compares to other states. Just going by the number of Virginians I see on this forum. There's a shop in Fincastle, VA that fixes TDI's. Maybe we could have a fest down there if nothing works out in northern VA.
We did this, in 2009 or 2010, I believe. I think some folks got a tour of the headquarters.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
I'm brand new to the TDI forums but no stranger to VW meets. I'm totally down as long as it isnt when I'll be in Florida in April.

Edit: How would you all feel about doing something in like Tennessee? Or has that already been done before? Thinking maybe Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Lots of good driving roads and tons of beautiful scenery, plus lots to do there too.

Last edited:

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
East coast is too far for me (I’m in southern Wyoming) to drive. But it would be cool to fly east and then rent a used diesel BMW to drive around. Wish there was a way to do that. I guess that would be like an Airbnb for cars.
Lived in Virginia, been to Nashville but not eastern Tennessee. Would love to go there.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
East coast is too far for me (I’m in southern Wyoming) to drive. But it would be cool to fly east and then rent a used diesel BMW to drive around. Wish there was a way to do that. I guess that would be like an Airbnb for cars.
Lived in Virginia, been to Nashville but not eastern Tennessee. Would love to go there.
Last September, we spent the night in Rawlins, WY. At Cheyenne, we went south to Denver then east to Hays, KS.
The next day, we drove from Hays to Lexington, KY which was just shy of 900 miles in 14 hours. We we were finishing up a 17 day road trip to the Pacific Northwest. (Six of us in a rented Ford Excursion Max)

Anyway, from Lexington to DC is another 10 hours minimum.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yeah, they do it for electric cars, why not other ones? Though I wouldn't want some random person driving my tdi...

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I'm brand new to the TDI forums but no stranger to VW meets. I'm totally down as long as it isnt when I'll be in Florida in April.

Edit: How would you all feel about doing something in like Tennessee? Or has that already been done before? Thinking maybe Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Lots of good driving roads and tons of beautiful scenery, plus lots to do there too.
Chattanooga, TN is the place where there's a VW plant from what I understand.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Chattanooga would be a great place in my opinion! Wouldn't be too hard to convince my wife to go down there too...

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Well I am glad you all like my Tennessee suggestion. I have always had fun when I go there. Aside from when my wife and I went backpacking and it rained the entire time we were there and an animal got to our food and ate it all. But other than that its been great! lol

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
As much as I love the South for us West Coasters driving all the way to TN would mean taking over 1 week vacation unless we can do a Cannonball run of sorts. Lebanon KS is the center of the United States. Big cities nearby are Kansas City, Omaha Nebraska, Oklahoma City and Denver. Would any of these locations work?