2011 sportwagen. New to me. How to tell if Deleted? NH faIL for Readiness

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi, 2011 wagen,2003 wagon,2013 wagen
New to me 2011 sportwagen. I am in NH. Car came from MA.
PO said that the vw "fix" was never done (I now find it actually was)
131k miles.

Just did first TB also it had a CEL for P2015. I fixed that with the dieselgeek machined aluminum piece.
Cleared codes.
Also accidentally killed battery.

Drove about 120 miles before inspection. No CELs.
Failed NH inspection due to EGR and one Ox sensor 'cause readiness not set.
I got a temporary 60 day pass.

I have Vag com
How can I tell if I am (hard and or soft tuner) deleted?
Inspection station are pretty strict---did not mention any missing emissions hardware.

I looked at basic settings and it looked like the EGR values were OK.
But still "not ready"

How long must I drive?

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link.... Still the whole thing has me puzzled.
Will a "non readiness" condition always either resolve or if it doesn't resolve will it eventually set a CEL?

Is there any tune or mod that would save me?
Otherwise, is the future of tuners and deleters coming to an end.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
@almus : My reading of the Tech Bulletin says that Readiness will "reset" over time unless an ECU DTC/fault code is registered that affects I/M. My understanding is that not all ECU DTCs will activate the MIL (though I would expect an I/M related DTC to set the MIL, eventually). We're seeing an occasional P2271 (08817 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich - Bank 1 Sensor 2) recently that sometimes sets the MIL right away, other times not right away, but would affect the Readiness status in any case. Our corner of OH doesn't have emissions testing, so replacing the aft O2 sensor is not so urgent (yet). --g

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the information. I must admit I did not do due diligence in investigating this car,
Given the condition and mileage (130k) I thought it a good deal (7300) for wagen with manual trans It needed TB and flap-fix; things I am good at
so I thought it a deal.

I looked at it and it seems to have the DPF system intact ---Nothing was obviously missing, but now that I have
driven it I have not noticed if the car ever goes into regen mode.

It may still fall under the VW warranty, but I am not sure how that would stand up if it turns out someone tuned it.
Again, How would I know?

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
@almus : Check the extended emissions warranty status using the VIN here: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

You wrote in the first post that you have VCDS. How about posting the auto-scan of Address 01 - Engine here; maybe some indication in the description text, e.g.:
Code:
Address 01: Engine (CJA)       Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
   Part No SW: 03L 997 030 C    HW: 03L 906 019 DA
   Component: R4 2.0l TDI G000SG  9983
   Revision: 12H08---    Serial number:
   Coding: 0050072
   Shop #: WSC 62440 003 1048576
   VCID: 2E050D932C179FAB45F-807A
   VINID: 0E69DD70745A052746049244043E0671B8

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
These can take a ridiculously long time to set all the readiness. Like, 1000+ miles sometimes.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
I looked at it and it seems to have the DPF system intact ---Nothing was obviously missing, but now that I have
driven it I have not noticed if the car ever goes into regen mode.
Re DPF regen info; maybe look at a few ECU measurement blocks:

105.2: Number of requested regens
240.2: Fuel consumption since last regen (l)
240.3: Mileage since last regen (km)
240.4: Time since last regen (min)
241.1: DPF oil ash volume (ml)
241.2: Soot load calculated (g)
241.3: Soot load measured (g)

I've noticed that a regen is likely soon when 105.2 reaches 6 and 241.2 is around 22 g. --g

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
"In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years 6 months or 54,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Oct 31, 2017 and 88,576 miles. "

So I just missed the deadline by date.

From VCDS It looks like my DPF regenerated recently (like Dr Who. But Amy Pond didn't appear in the back seat)
while I was driving. Must have been on the highway and didn't notice.

Thanks for the help and information. The 2011 drives like a dream, but makes me really appreciate the simplicity of the ALH.
I will just keep driving and hope remaining readiness codes reset..

Incidentally if EGR actual and EGR spec are in agreement, does that mean it will eventually clear?

What is EGR B ?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are two completely separate EGR systems on that engine. The "regular" version, which is now sometimes known as the high pressure EGR, and the low pressure EGR.

High pressure comes directly out of the exhaust manifold (which is part of the turbocharger) right at the exhaust outlet of the head by #4 cylinder, into a pipe, that comes around the end of the head and into the EGR valve positioned between the intake throttle flap and the intake manifold.

Low pressure comes from AFTER the DPF assembly, through a little filter tube, and into the EGR cooler buried on the backside of the block, and through the EGR valve, then into the air intake tube from the air cleaner right into the turbocharger's inlet.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Somewhat of a follow-up.

I have over 1400 miles now on the car post resetting the CEL.
According to vag com , the readiness is still not "ready" for the EGR and for the O2 sensor.
Damn....
Time to move to Florida? Or at least reg the car there?

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
I'm in the same boat, similar milage and 2011 also. When you say EGR and O2 sensor still not "ready" you're speaking about the generic OBD2 data, that's what mine reads also. The following hasn't help me yet at all but it's where i'm focusing my efforts.

If you go into 01 engine module and then click on readiness you get some different info (VW, not generic). Specifically the 4th field likely has 1010 0000 if if the same as mine. According to this doc https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10123033-9999.pdf those bits mean the following are not complete:
Bit5 Test Exhaust gas sensor monitoring (1 = not complete; 0 = complete)
Bit7 Test EGR system monitoring (1 = not complete; 0 = complete)
That document also has suggested driving to set these bits.

Bit 7: (this did not work for me)
the requirement: need 01 engine module, then measuring block 100, then 2nd field to read above 300degrees
(^it's easy once warmed up to meet that criteria, basically drive 60 in 5th gear after warmed up)
then downshift to 3rd gear 1800 rpm, 20 seconds
then Coast for 8 seconds minimum

Bit 5:
- Test run in order to warm up exhaust system (2 min. no coasting
- Leave vehicle idling for 30 sec.
- Moderate acceleration up to 2500 rpm, then quickly release gas pedal.
- Coasting phase at 3000 rpm in 4th gear (min. 10 sec.)
- Drive 30-45 min, at constant speed, (50-70 mph, 80- 120 km/h), in 5-6 th gear.

Last edited:

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
It is hard to imagine that such orchestrated recipes of driving are required to cycle the bits in this system.
I have driven the car on the highway 55 miles each way for commute into Boston for several weeks.
Around town driving as well. Probably up to about 1700 miles now. I am not sure what will happen when
my 60 day temp pass expires---what does the State expect me to do then? Junk the car?

Are there vag com diagnostics to see if EGR or O2 values are incorrect? When I look at EGR expected and actual are spot-on.
I do not see info for O2

vdubdiesel

TDI
the orchestrated recipes are designed to help the dealer techs set the readiness as fast as possible, the expectation is the general public will just have them set naturally while driving. BUT we see that sometimes takes forever.

the vag com stuff i was referencing are just a more detailed version of the generic OBD data. The government inspections use the generic but the vag com version has a little more info. Sorry i don't have the experience to know what the specific values are, but i think it's more systematic than individual reading and that's part of the problem. IF a component has a bad (outside spec) reading it should trigger a code and check engine light.

I hope you come back to update if/when you ever get readiness set. I have a drive tomorrow that i'm incorporating the 40min cycle into, I'll report back if i have any success.

vdubdiesel

TDI
no luck here. Tried very specifically to do the bit 5 cycle one a recent trip, two full attempts no change in readiness.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply. No joy here either. I think I have used 30 days (ie 1/2) of my 60 day pass.
There is supposedly a vag com procedure that you can do---I will look into it.

vdubdiesel

TDI
well took 800 miles and (maybe) some purposeful driving but i'm full readiness. I specifically drove 4 trips with 35-40 mins of steady cruise control 67mph, actually difficult to accomplish even with very little traffic. I did start each run with a warm engine and went to 3k rpm in 4th and then coast for 10seconds (run up to ~70mph then coast down to 50 before setting cruise at 67).

I also (after the first two runs failed) did an aggressive drive in 3rd gear at 4k rpms for 3mins (with cruise control). That was a suggestion from "jack" on vcds forums. Basically a cheap alternative to physically cleaning the o2 sensor. link Not sure if that helped but in that thread the poster did it and triggered a check engine light the following day, i did it and a few days later did succeed get readiness set. Does make me think it's O2 sensor related and I was thinking about reseting the sensors like that pdf posted by DrGERTol suggests as my next step. What a pain this is/was.

Glad to be done. Best of luck Almus, i will keep monitoring the thread. (i'd try the aggressive 3rd gear 4k for 3min).

Last edited:

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the update. I will be glad to burn a bunch of diesel in 3d gear to "save the environment"

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Hah... Glad you prompted me. Last I checked (daughter is prime driver) the readiness was still not "ready"
for oxygen sensor and EGR--- about 2400 miles on the clock. Plus to make things worse,
a bit over a week ago, it was crazy cold in NH and my daughter killed the battery, and I had to swap in a newer one.
I assume that removed battery resets the whole thing.
I think I am at the end of my NH temporary pass...I don't know what to do now; turn myself in to the diesel police?

CEL never came on.
Someone in this thread linked a TSB on pulling the oxygen sender lines off.... I have not tried that yet.

vdubdiesel

TDI
Yep, sounds like you start all over again with the battery swap. Pretty sure any judge (maybe police) would let you off with the full explanation. Clearly you don't want to try to explain to the police or the judge if police give a ticket. The quest continues. I have learned some tuners will set (force) readiness.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Hah... Glad you prompted me. Last I checked (daughter is prime driver) the readiness was still not "ready"
for oxygen sensor and EGR--- about 2400 miles on the clock. Plus to make things worse,
a bit over a week ago, it was crazy cold in NH and my daughter killed the battery, and I had to swap in a newer one.
I assume that removed battery resets the whole thing.
I think I am at the end of my NH temporary pass...I don't know what to do now; turn myself in to the diesel police?

CEL never came on.
Someone in this thread linked a TSB on pulling the oxygen sender lines off.... I have not tried that yet.
Did you try and follow that service bulletin while actively monitoring MBs 86 and 88? I did restore readiness with my wife in the passenger seat reading the steps one by one and telling me when a bit turned to 1 or 0, respectively. Took about 55 miles or so until readiness was restored.

almus

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you try and follow that service bulletin while actively monitoring MBs 86 and 88? I did restore readiness with my wife in the passenger seat reading the steps one by one and telling me when a bit turned to 1 or 0, respectively. Took about 55 miles or so until readiness was restored.
No I did not disconnect the O2 sensors.... Is that what you are asking? --From the "tech tip" (which emphatically states that it is not a TSB)

I would have to jack up the car and get access to the O2 sensor connections (I think???) unless I can disconnect
them from within the engine compartment(?)

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
No I did not disconnect the O2 sensors.... Is that what you are asking? --From the "tech tip" (which emphatically states that it is not a TSB)

I would have to jack up the car and get access to the O2 sensor connections (I think???) unless I can disconnect
them from within the engine compartment(?)
No I mean the drive cycle procedure in Table 2 of the bulletin.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yep, sounds like you start all over again with the battery swap. Pretty sure any judge (maybe police) would let you off with the full explanation. Clearly you don't want to try to explain to the police or the judge if police give a ticket. The quest continues. I have learned some tuners will set (force) readiness.
Some states will reset the monitors at inspection to check if any immediately go to "passed" that shouldn't to detect when they've been coded out by tuners.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Wow, glad to be in a safety only state, not emissions for my TDIs. I know the vw dealer can force readiness to set on most vw gas engines, not sure if it’s a possibility for diesel as it’s not necessary here.