What did you do to your Passat today?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
hmph! dead again.

took me a while to find.

just installed 034motorsport rear sway bar, wow! day and night of differences.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
yikes! saw your posts. hope they solve it once for all.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
new serp belt and serp belt tensioner, and 90K oil change.

Did confirm the '15 are fluid extractor friendly for draining all but 5 drops from the oil pan. So no more minor weeps from the drain plug here on out. I still gotta change out the oil filter but that oil drain plug is very tight to get a nice seal even with a copper crush washer. I'll be sucking oil out from here on out.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
new serp belt and serp belt tensioner, and 90K oil change.

Did confirm the '15 are fluid extractor friendly for draining all but 5 drops from the oil pan. So no more minor weeps from the drain plug here on out. I still gotta change out the oil filter but that oil drain plug is very tight to get a nice seal even with a copper crush washer. I'll be sucking oil out from here on out.
really? where did you put the extractor tube into? oil dipstick tube?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
just did the oil change and DSG yesterday. now the car drives like if we are riding on the clouds. :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah extractor tube in the dip sick rooted around and was able to get the sucker stick all the way down so it was just showing at the top of the dipstick tube, i was able to get about ~5.5L out into the extractor (i didn't add any oil over 10K since march), and then about 10 slow drops out of the drain bolt to verify. I did have the waterfall of the oil filter but it was reassuring knowing the extractor sucks it dry.

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
When I had my ALH I used an oil extractor and it was awesome to not have to get under the car to do an oil change. On my Passat I stopped using the oil extractor and put on a Fumoto oil drain valve to make oil changes easier. If I have to get under the car to change the filter I might as well drain it that way. It's ok but I still wish they had left the oil filter as a top change deal, that was an easy oil change.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah this was the other alternative to a fumoto, this way i'm only catching the oil filter fluid in the pan. I can also use the extractor on the TSI which negated the bonus of the fumoto.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah extractor tube in the dip sick rooted around and was able to get the sucker stick all the way down so it was just showing at the top of the dipstick tube, i was able to get about ~5.5L out into the extractor (i didn't add any oil over 10K since march), and then about 10 slow drops out of the drain bolt to verify. I did have the waterfall of the oil filter but it was reassuring knowing the extractor sucks it dry.
awesome! thank you so much. I ended up nearly overfilled my 7 qt oil tray from the engine... literally 6.5L-ish estimate. it was scary. I jacked her up to level in order for the DSG service and oil change at same time hence 6.5L-ish coming out.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
When I had my ALH I used an oil extractor and it was awesome to not have to get under the car to do an oil change. On my Passat I stopped using the oil extractor and put on a Fumoto oil drain valve to make oil changes easier. If I have to get under the car to change the filter I might as well drain it that way. It's ok but I still wish they had left the oil filter as a top change deal, that was an easy oil change.
I concur, I always had an colorful language every single time I do the oil change on the 2015, with my 2014 JSW and her daughter's 13 Jetta Sedan, I sing happily lol if I knew this way back then, I wouldn't have gotten the NMS Passat in the first place and go with another JSW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rear leg room of the passat is soo worth it, with a kid now the GSW is showing it's weakness with a rear facing car seat.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Replaced #4 injector to fix a P1007 code (loss of power around 1700-2000 RPM, stumble when cold, clanking engine -all better when engine fully warm). Thanks to @eugene89us for his help.

Dealer wanted $550 (1.5hr labor +parts) plus a $150 complete diagnostic and had a 1-2 week wait (they suggested I leave the car there so it was in the queue and could be fixed when it was next in line). I was $220 in parts/tools, $200 for VCDS and 1.5hrs of free labor! Test drive after work -all good, no codes, no leaks and car runs strong and quiet (for a diesel).

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I did my engine oil, dsg, fuel and intake air last sunday. I remove the egr pipe to get better access to my oil filter. Next will be flywheel and TB.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
My Passat has been 27 days at the dealership now. It was supposed to be done last Friday, but the mechanic hurt his back.

Sad thing is that I am spending the same amount on fuel with the loaner Atlas V6 as I was with the Passat.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My Passat has been 27 days at the dealership now. It was supposed to be done last Friday, but the mechanic hurt his back.

Sad thing is that I am spending the same amount on fuel with the loaner Atlas V6 as I was with the Passat.
30mpg of regular is about the same cost per mile as 42 mpg of diesel over here too, crazy. Some stations have just started coming under $4/gal, some still hovering around mid $5s.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
31 days now. They said they are shooting for having it done today. When I asked, they had not even started taking it apart at 4:30pm yesterday. So my guess is it won't be ready.

I am getting about 23-25mpg in the Atlas, and usually got 38-39 in the Passat. Regular is $2.50 here, Diesel is still $4.00.

Update: Of course they didn't get it finished before the holiday. The tech had issues removing the jigsaw puzzle and was unable to even get it apart yesterday.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
got 2nd clock spring replaced yesterday at 121k miles. oxygen sensor failed right before we left to Tenn from Florida with 5 of us and trunk full.

came back yesterday at 130 am and made 49 mpg. impressive with failing oxygen sensor.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
oxygen sensor replaced, car purrs happily. drivability is a lot better. gf is happy to see ZERO dash lights LOL

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
31 days now. They said they are shooting for having it done today. When I asked, they had not even started taking it apart at 4:30pm yesterday. So my guess is it won't be ready.

I am getting about 23-25mpg in the Atlas, and usually got 38-39 in the Passat. Regular is $2.50 here, Diesel is still $4.00.

Update: Of course they didn't get it finished before the holiday. The tech had issues removing the jigsaw puzzle and was unable to even get it apart yesterday.
And the turbo is bad. But hey, it's under warranty.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Completely stock. I am actually in Texas, but it still applies. I am glad it's still under warranty, but none of this makes me confident on keeping this thing going long term. If it was a new car, it would be a lemon.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
CKRA are actually good engines as long as its deleted. Otherwise CJAA (golf, Jetta, JSW) has better turbo and lighter body. Passat with CKRA are too heavy and DPF/DEF plus emission mandated programming made it hard on the small sized turbos on those CKRA’s hence why they fail left and right. Delete will make it breathe better.

seahawkdodge

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I know the EPA has been cracking down on delete companies. Between that and the warranty, I have kept it stock.
If I keep it beyond the warranty period, I will certainly consider deleting the Passat. The emission systems are a major pain.