Cruise control retrofit kit

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
An A3/mk 3 wagon? You definitely caught my attention! We never got the A3 in the variant form.

The North American market A3 and B4 (B3.5) with 1Z and AHU engines came standard with cruise control and with adjustable height steering. We didn't have to add either.
A used cruise control switch and the associated harness segments from a US or Canada dismantler, with shipping, might be less costly than 400 Euro.
The shipping costs from US to DE on the adjustable column might make that more economical to source as used from within the E.U.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
If it’s left hand drive I imagine you could source the steering column from any mk3 here in the states. As for the cruise control, I think it may be as simple as plugging the new switch in… not sure if the harness is different but I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
You are correct sir! I called a stateside salvage yard and they have them for $125 w/a 3 month warranty! :) 🤙

An A3/mk 3 wagon? You definitely caught my attention! We never got the A3 in the variant form.

The North American market A3 and B4 (B3.5) with 1Z and AHU engines came standard with cruise control and with adjustable height steering. We didn't have to add either.
A used cruise control switch and the associated harness segments from a US or Canada dismantler, with shipping, might be less costly than 400 Euro.
The shipping costs from US to DE on the adjustable column might make that more economical to source as used from within the E.U.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Yes supposedly there is a green plug in the spot for the cruise control and then it needs to be “programmed” with a vcds on a computer.

If it’s left hand drive I imagine you could source the steering column from any mk3 here in the states. As for the cruise control, I think it may be as simple as plugging the new switch in… not sure if the harness is different but I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Heres the other pic they sent me. I know its the correct part, Im just not sure if it needs any more cables/wires as the retrofit kit has an extra cable/wire. He did say it came right out of a ‘96 golf tdi…same year as mine.

The other detail is that the cruise cancel switch is a separate switch from the normal brake light switch.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I’m sure you could find one in the states for a lot cheaper than that. I used to have a few of those kicking around and still might, but my stuff is still on the trailer from bringing it out west.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
yes, you can find what you need wayyyyy cheaper. those things should be a dime a dozen, i know i've tossed a couple out, probalby even have a spare, but i took a couple apart while doing some modifications and lost some bits and all that stuff is packed away somewhere. with a bentely, wiring up cruise should be pretty straightforward, just need the stalk for it and a couple connectors. i know i've got all that stuff, but also, somewhat packed away.... i'd think you could find a stalk for $40

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
The $125 above IS from the states. I’ll look around at a few more places.
I’m sure you could find one in the states for a lot cheaper than that. I used to have a few of those kicking around and still might, but my stuff is still on the trailer from bringing it out west.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Yep I’m going to see if I can find one cheaper than the $125 option. Thanks!
yes, you can find what you need wayyyyy cheaper. those things should be a dime a dozen, i know i've tossed a couple out, probalby even have a spare, but i took a couple apart while doing some modifications and lost some bits and all that stuff is packed away somewhere. with a bentely, wiring up cruise should be pretty straightforward, just need the stalk for it and a couple connectors. i know i've got all that stuff, but also, somewhat packed away.... i'd think you could find a stalk for $40

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
That’s what I’m finding out. And they’re not as easy to find as one would think. Where did you purchase the new one?

The prices on these stalks really went up. I think I paid $120 for a new genuine one a few years ago.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
His car doesn't have it, because it was an extra cost option. VW charged you for the pleasure of installing a different stalk...

-J

Lug_Nut

TDI
The other detail is that the cruise cancel switch is a separate switch from the normal brake light switch.
The cruise control cancel switch in the stalk duplicates (is parallel) to the supplemental switch at the brake pedal. This CC cancel or supplemental switch signal is sent to the ECU to drop the engine fueling delivery back to idle. I think this supplemental ECU input switch is already present even on cars without cruise control. This 'electronic' signal to the ECU is separate from the 'electric' power switch, also on the brake pedal arm, used to send current to the brake lamp bulbs.

To my understanding (..my unconfirmed belief?) the A3 and B4 ECU are cruise control ready, only the switched signals are needed to activate the function.
Note however that there are TWO harnesses required. One is attached to the stalk as shown in post #4. The second required harness is not shown in post #4, but IS shown in the kufatec link in post #1.

Last edited:

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
This is exactly my understanding as well. What is the second harness for, where does it connect? I believe this is it and could be used with the stalk in #4?

I think if I order the above harness and the stalk from the salvage yard I should be gtg.

The cruise control cancel switch in the stalk duplicates (is parallel) to the supplemental switch at the brake pedal. This CC cancel or supplemental switch signal is sent to the ECU to drop the engine fueling delivery back to idle. I think this supplemental ECU input switch is already present even on cars without cruise control. This 'electronic' signal to the ECU is separate from the 'electric' power switch, also on the brake pedal arm, used to send current to the brake lamp bulbs.

To my understanding (..my unconfirmed belief?) the A3 and B4 ECU are cruise control ready, only the switched signals are needed to activate the function.
Note however that there are TWO harnesses required. One is attached to the stalk as shown in post #4. The second required harness is not shown in post #4, but IS shown in the kufatec link in post #1.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm not sure a salvage yard will be willing to pull the harness and stalk although you might try. In the US that would be something most yards wouldn't be interested in doing.

Besides the stalk there's a short 4 wire harness that you need to connect down into the F, G1 or G2 harness. I believe the connector you're looking for in your engine harness is the 4 wire one in the lower left corner of this photo. It should have red, black / white, blue and black wires.

Steve

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
I think I posted the second harness in post #18 above from kufatec?

I'm not sure a salvage yard will be willing to pull the harness and stalk although you might try. In the US that would be something most yards wouldn't be interested in doing.

Besides the stalk there's a short 4 wire harness that you need to connect down into the F, G1 or G2 harness. I believe the connector you're looking for in your engine harness is the 4 wire one in the lower left corner of this photo. It should have red, black / white, blue and black wires.

Steve

Lug_Nut

TDI
Here's a snip of my schematic for A3 wiring showing just the cruise control switch and the connections needed.

A3 cruise switch wiring.JPG

Power from fuse 11 black with blue stripe, to black, to white, to cruise switch white.
Switch blue, to blue with grey stripe, to ECU pin 34.
Switch red to red with yellow stripe, to red, to ECU pin 35.
Switch black to black with white stripe to ECU pin 66.

My A3 schematic doesn't describe the locations where the connection points are, but my B4 schematic, nearly identical image, same connector IDs, fuse and relay block power source, has T4a in the column behind the steering wheel (once the switch is installed, that is), T4b as a four pin connector point behind the fuse and relay panel (probably the most difficult part of the option install to access), and TV5 above the fuse and relay block.

My experience with that era's VW wiring was that the harnesses were fully populated, meaning that, even if the car didn't have the option installed, the wiring at both ends was present, it was necessary to only plug in the missing pieces.
That was true for adding optional fog lamps, adding a CD changer, power seats, seat heaters, and so I expect that the cruise will just require installing the switch, connecting it to the four wire 'extension wire set' at pin-socket T4a, plugging in the T4b end of the 'extension wires set' to an existing mating T4b behind the fuse block, and connecting to the power at the "TV5" connector already present.

Upon review, I expect the TV5 connection to T4b is already present as well.

Last edited:

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Awesome info thank you!

Here's a snip of my schematic for A3 wiring showing just the cruise control switch and the connections needed.

View attachment 128088

Power from fuse 11 black with blue stripe, to black, to white, to cruise switch white.
Switch blue, to blue with grey stripe, to ECU pin 34.
Switch red to red with yellow stripe, to red, to ECU pin 35.
Switch black to black with white stripe to ECU pin 66.

My A3 schematic doesn't describe the locations where the connection points are, but my B4 schematic, nearly identical image, same connector IDs, fuse and relay block power source, has T4a in the column behind the steering wheel (once the switch is installed, that is), T4b as a four pin connector point behind the fuse and relay panel (probably the most difficult part of the option install to access), and TV5 above the fuse and relay block.

My experience with that era's VW wiring was that the harnesses were fully populated, meaning that, even if the car didn't have the option installed, the wiring at both ends was present, it was necessary to only plug in the missing pieces.
That was true for adding optional fog lamps, adding a CD changer, power seats, seat heaters, and so I expect that the cruise will just require installing the switch, connecting it to the four wire 'extension wire set' at pin-socket T4a, plugging in the T4b end of the 'extension wires set' to an existing mating T4b behind the fuse block, and connecting to the power at the "TV5" connector already present.

Upon review, I expect the TV5 connection to T4b is already present as well.