2015 Golf TDI long crank first start of the day

Rochbry

TDI
2013 Audi a3 TDI
What Rochbry showed is crank sensor and it is a bit difficult to get to and replace. Still don't know if the part I posted is reliable or not? What do you think?
It is a huge pita to get to on the CBEA. Other engines it's not so bad. Mine broke when being removed and tranny had to come out and a new rear seal put in, as that's what the sensor attaches to. I did the flywheel at the same time as it was ready to change. Needless to say, it was an expensive repair.

DFDJ

TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagon SEL, 01 Jetta Baltic Green Sold at 277,500 mi,
I wonder if EXP means export? Also notice that there are 3 lines (including EXP) are XXX'd out. You could check the meaning with the dealer who sold you the part. I've never heard of an auto part having an expiration date, it's not like a package of food, but you never know.

My car has been starting right up again now that weather is again cold. Probably won't be able to trouble-shoot till spring, but still wondering if there is a way to adjust the temp at which the glo plugs turn on using a vag-com.

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
Yep no idea how to prolong preheating glow plugs with vcds. And no f**king idea why camshaft sensor is slow to run. I cannnot find any hints on the Internet. Fuel pressure and engine rmps are in a range but camshat positioning sensor shows zero while starting the engine and after a few seconds starts to response. Crasher (forum admin) refers to starer as the couse of the problem. No errors on vcds
This is accualy not the longest crank I have been struggling with. When starting the engine camshaft shows zero, engine won't start and when it begins to start up it goes from zero to above values. What couses slow response? Don't know. New sensor fitted still the same.

Rochbry

TDI
2013 Audi a3 TDI
Yep no idea how to prolong preheating glow plugs with vcds. And no f**king idea why camshaft sensor is slow to run. I cannnot find any hints on the Internet. Fuel pressure and engine rmps are in a range but camshat positioning sensor shows zero while starting the engine and after a few seconds starts to response. Crasher (forum admin) refers to starer as the couse of the problem. No errors on vcds
This is accualy not the longest crank I have been struggling with. When starting the engine camshaft shows zero, engine won't start and when it begins to start up it goes from zero to above values. What couses slow response? Don't know. New sensor fitted still the same.
Have you considered the lift pump?
You can prime it with vcds and see if that gives you a start.

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
Hello, my León 2014 1.6 clha had this same problem with only 20.000milles.

Between 2016 and 2018 I did all this with no solución:

- run with obd11 the tank pump several times before cranck with no benefits. So for me is not the problem. It sound perfect, and If It had a problem, running many times would help.

- run heaters before cranck

- I did a remap and ask the chiptuner to get more fuel in cold start

- I installed a new fuel backstop valve between fuel filter and CR pump, as It has done in old Cars..

I sold the car years ago,

but recently bought one just like it with 120.000milles, It has the same problem and getting worse.

I have tryed obd11 actívate pump and heaters before cranck, and have It all night without fuel cap as I read here but no good news

It is really desperate

tom101

TDI
Leon 150, A5 3.0
When its very cold 0-10° C and It stays all night in the street, It crancks perfect.

But inside my house, It has warm temperatures and always bad crank. Very weird

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
Tom
The same symptoms considering 'wormer' temp above 15 C. Lower than 15 no problem.
Rochbry
I did try the trick. One was fine the next day no luck. And the main problem is that it happens only on first start. No more tries during the day as it will not rehappen. I dont wanna replace any parts in blind (hpfp, lpfp etc.). One thing I have noticed recently is that when I see long crank is just 'happening' I press accelerator and it starts. But looking on my vcds scans fuel pressure is fine. On a different forum people said (uppon my videos scans) fuel was fine. One guy said that he replaced fuel returning valve (no idea if my english translation is correct) part no.
5Q0127242B and the problem gone away. This will probably be replaced in near future as it can be bought from nearly new broken car and is cheap. No more clues whatsoever.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
My symptoms progressed to almost a constant crappy idle. Changed the CPS and now the car is happy, like new

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI

Crank position sensor. DIY. Part 04L 906 433B. This is in a 2015 CRUA engine: remove the oil filter -no need to drain all the oil as the filter attaches higher than the oil pan-, also undo a bracket that prevents a good angle, 4mm allen key and that is it

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Thanks, I have a 2015 CRUA. Just changed the oil Saturday:( My long crank comes and goes, seems worse when sitting a day or two. Is the new sensor plug and play or do I need VCDS or OBD eleven?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I have a 2015 CRUA. Just changed the oil Saturday:( My long crank comes and goes, seems worse when sitting a day or two. Is the new sensor plug and play or do I need VCDS or OBD eleven?
Plug and play. I bought mine from myvwpart.com which is a dealer in Wisconsin

radiator

TDI
1.6 clha
@
pedroYUL

Did you have errors on vcds? My longer cranks appear above 15 celcius below no problem existing. Changed camshaft sensor, slightly better (happens less freaquently but still) no idea what to diagnose apart from the motor starter.
To change crank sensor is not that easy, that what my mechanic said.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
@
pedroYUL

Did you have errors on vcds? My longer cranks appear above 15 celcius below no problem existing. Changed camshaft sensor, slightly better (happens less freaquently but still) no idea what to diagnose apart from the motor starter.
To change crank sensor is not that easy, that what my mechanic said.
No errors at all stored. @Mike_04GolfTDI did log some faults that you can only catch while it happens, nothing really gets flagged in the ECU.

Which engine code do you have? I also changed the CPS in an older BRM which was not that bad either, that one was from the top, and I believe the oil filter canister and cooler needed to come out.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI

Seems to be the same as in the CRUA, almost behind the oil filter

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I changed the CPS in my CVCA today, same as CRUA with a bit more space in the Passat.

Something I do recommend is to use a mirror, I used my cellphone camera to help me aim the Allen key down the access hole

Rochbry

TDI
2013 Audi a3 TDI
I changed the CPS in my CVCA today, same as CRUA with a bit more space in the Passat.

Something I do recommend is to use a mirror, I used my cellphone camera to help me aim the Allen key down the access hole
I noticed a couple of crappy starts after the changeover. Let us know if the same happens to you.
I hope this cures your issue.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed a couple of crappy starts after the changeover. Let us know if the same happens to you.
I hope this cures your issue.
One crappy start on the CRUA, but perfect since. CVCA was flawless right away

Idk maybe

TDI
2015 VW Sportwagen TDI
I had been battling this issue with my car pretty much since I bought the car two years ago. It is deleted with the Malone Stage 2 tune. My car has had no codes.

I unwillingly replaced the $500+ parts from Diagnose Dans videos as that seemed like the exact issue I had but after a week, it went back to doing the long crank. Everything to me said it was fuel related based on how it was cranking and the nice, completely unburnt fuel cloud I would get every morning but would start fine every single time after that. My shop has an actual battery tester and the battery always checked out fine until one morning it didn’t have enough juice to make the starter do anything. I replaced the battery with a larger CCA rating and it has been starting instantly for over three months now. I also changed (1 month after my battery) my in-tank fuel pump/lift pump as well as those part numbers+design had changed too and it was a cheap and easy part to change. These parts were changed when the temperature seems to be giving everyone the most pronounced issue

Long story short, even though my battery tested good and would crank the engine over at the normal speed, the battery seemed to be the issue with my long crank. I’m not going to say this will fix everyone’s issue, this is just what worked for me and hope it can help someone else out because we all know how annoying this is with the limited information available

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Had the same result with my car. Long cranks that kept getting worse during the summer and eventually no start at all. Replaced with an AGM battery from Canadian Tire and it's been much better.

What I find odd is that there doesn't seem to be only one solution, but thanks to your post I won't try to change out the cam adjuster until the cam adjuster fault code comes back

Last edited:

brakey

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a 2014 Jetta Sport Wagon TDI
It's now at 91K miles

This is a CJAA engine and doesn't seem to have the same components (issues) as the "Diagnosis Dan's" non CJAA engines that have been described in earlier thread (I believe its the one about the Variable Valve Timing).

Ran the codes with OBDeleven and Autel professional scan tool and no codes or issues surfaced.

Been experiencing this problem on and off for the last year. Checked and changed the fuel filter (no issue there)
Replaced the lift pump under the rear seat and things started to improve. Outside ambient temp was getting colder as fall progressed however.

As outside temps started to cool the engine would start without delay. During the Bomb Cyclone that hit the Midwest (Michigan) over Christmas with temps down to 0 degrees the thing starts right up even though you can hear the starter strain with lower available battery voltage.

Made the trip to our Florida home this past week with temps now around 80-85 deg F and low and behold Long Crank times have returned with warm weather. It also will start, stumble and stall on occasion.

If I drive back to Michigan for a week I'm sure I will experience short crank times.

So with this I'm assuming this has to be temperature related but I'm not sure what the root cause is.

Besides the Temp Sensor what else monitors engine and ambient temps???

My biggest issue with these VW's is you can't find a decent factory service manual with out paying for the online service. Similar issues with MB but managed to find a full PDF for my Sprinter Van (not a very reliable vehicle)

Thanks in Advance for your input

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My biggest issue with these VW's is you can't find a decent factory service manual with out paying for the online service
If you think that $35 is too much to spend for the factory service manual for this car (along with a full 24hrs to download every manual for literally any other car VW has ever sold in North America), you may have purchased the wrong car. ;)

With that said, unfortunately, I don't think the solution to the problem will be found in the manual. I'd guess a somewhat better chance would be the solution being found by someone who fully absorbed all of the inner workings of the engine from something like the self-study training manual.

Last edited:

brakey

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Well that's a snarky comment!!
I'm a retired automotive engineer, ASE Master Mechanic, have completed multiple frame off and ground up restorations on European Sports Cars and sports sedans over the last 50 years.
Your condescending response adds no resolution to the problem others have been commenting on.
Yes $35 for 24 hours access is not considered a value!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Wink emoji tried to convey some degree of playfulness - oh well....

But - seems like a decent deal to me considering that a non-OEM manual for only that one car goes for ~$25USD (before shipping); vs. genuine factory manual for EVERY car with EVERY engine for $35.

Of course, if you want someone else to pay for the manual and then pass it along to you for free....well then, fair point - not a great "value".
(Now *THAT* was snarky!)

As for your original question: Your CJAA car is a Mk6, so you might have better luck getting an answer by searching or posting in the Mk6 sub-forum.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Yes $35 for 24 hours access is not considered a value!
What is that you hope to get for $35 exactly? Maybe some OEMs provide this for repair shops (which you would know much more about), but for the normal person $35 isn't much. What are your expectations?

During my 24 hour access I downloaded wiring manuals for 2015 Golf TDI, GTI, and Golf R, 2018 Passat SEL, 2019 GTI, Golf R, Tiguan SEL, 2021 Tiguan SEL and Arteon SEL, 2022 Tiguan SEL, and Atlas SEL. I've reference some of these wiring diagrams when doing retrofits on my 2015 TDI (adding things that weren't available in 2015).

In addition I downloaded all the shop manuals for my 2015 Golf TDI, and practically all the VW Self Study Programs for the various systems... DSG (6 and 7 speed, even though my car is a 6MT), Adaptive Cruise, Immobilizer, VW Data Bus Tech, Lane Assist, Airbag and Safety System, Wheel Alignment Basics, Common Rail Engine design, 3.0L V6 TDI Engine design, 1.9PD Engine Design, 3.2/3.6 TFSI Engine Design... to name a few.

You also get access to videos showing how to do some use ODIS and run several of the basic functions, which I also downloaded... Key adaptation, immobilizer update, blind spot monitor calibration, etc. Miscellaneous things I downloaded include VW VIN decoder cards (US and CAN), VW Tech Tip bulletins for cars from 2005-2015 (includes things like how to reset DPF Ash/Soot Level with ODIS), Special Tool catalog.

brakey

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Getting Service Information online is not a new phenomena. In the 90's MB stopped with printed manuals and I had to purchase a CD for ~$69 which performed poorly and constantly locked up. Not a good experience trying to repair a 300D.

Online Service Information is just another tool for the Parts and Service divisions to improve revenue. Dealers are required but to the average Do It Yourself repair you are locked out. For independent repair shops they have to pay a hefty fee or use independent online services such as AllData or Mitchell. These services are not cheap either. I have years of experience using them.

You mention what do I expect, well I don't mind paying for factory manuals. I have paid anywhere from 100-200 dollars for these manuals that are still available. I especially search for those of the vehicles I am restoring. $100 for an e10 BMW 2002 in fair condition is a fair price since they are scarce as hens teeth but I can refer to it daily and not have to go on a downloading spree for 24 hours.

Conversely I have ONE VW Jetta TDI so I have no need or use to download all the other VW information off that one site. Owning 1 VW for at least 100K miles you will encounter numerous issues that need to be resolved. I can't see logging on and paying $35 every time I need to get info on the repair I need to do. It just doesn't make economic sense. I can see that there is an advantage if you have multiple VW's but that's not my situation.
I certainly would go to erWin and download as much as I could if all I worked on was VW's.

I like variety that's why the collector cars I have are different marks and my daily drivers are not the same as well.

BTW I did find a full PDF version of the Jetta Factor manual online for FREE but its vin related and has info on the gas engines. So I may have to concede and spend that $35. Oh and I don't feel bad about a free download.

I have noticed a continuing theme among these Forums, "Don't ever complain about the product or engineering or you will be chastised for your remarks" Well they are not all perfect especially the German Engineers Since they never make mistakes or a wrong decision, Just ask them and they will tell you they are always right. I worked with them and for them so I have first hand experience. I mistakenly criticized the poor design of the BMW E10 fuel module on the BMW 2002 site and you would have thought that was the end of the world.

I only use these forums for help with Service Info and Fixes and Sorry I don't need to get int the minutia about the site and the product. Just looking for fixes as I do like my 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen.

Thats my 2 cents
Case Closed

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't understand your complaint. You make it sound like you have to spend the $35 every time... but you don't. Spend it one time, you can put in your VIN and download all applicable manuals, even those you aren't immediately planning to use. For one car you can have it all downloaded in 30 minutes.

Anybody can pay the $35 and get every manual that applies to their vehicle in PDF form. You can print them if you're so inclined. But you also have the PDF. So the manual will never cost you $100 after becoming "scarce as hens teeth," which is a good thing.

You're saying you understand online manuals... great! I'm an aircraft avionics/electrics tech and online manuals are the only "game" in town. You need a procedure, even one you've done 100+ times, you login and print that sucker out. Ensures you always have the most current information, which is obviously more critical than what we do on our cars. Sure, the VW part/service department isn't telling people that come in with a CEL or funny noise to just go home and pay $35 and learn to fix it themselves, that would be stupid of them.

But the same has always been true. Some people pay for all their maintenance because they don't know how to do it, some because they can't find the resources, some because they just don't want to do it themselves. But for those of us that are inclined... a bit of Google-ing and you find out that you can get all the manuals for $35. And you are upset about that 😆.