Los Angeles B99 in Mk6 TDI

twiggg

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (6MT)
Hey all, so I bought my 2011 JSW TDI maybe 4 years ago and have been absolutely loving it. No mods other than wheels, tires, and headunit and have been careful about never putting more than B20 in it. However very recently it seems every diesel pump within 5 miles of me in southwestern Los Angeles has swapped to only pump B50-B99 (I'm sure there are some here and there that are B20 but I don't have time to drive to every pump in LA traffic and trial and error which ones have <B20).

From what I've read the main concern with high bio-diesel concentrations is the oil dilution from regen injections, transitioning to biodiesel causing all the crud in lines suddenly cleaning and making there way into the filter (i.e. replace the filter when transitioning), and pre-mature DPF failures from regen. It seems all the lubricity discussions have pretty solidly landed on Bio being beneficial from that perspective and the remaining downsides are about the energy density (potentially lower HP and MPG but sounds like most accounts are in the noise of driving habits)

I had my HPFP fail about 10k miles ago at 65k (totally covered by my dealer, no questions asked, in and out in a few days from tow truck arriving at the dealer to driving home after the repair - was honestly a great experience) and I've still got a few years on my extended warranty post-fix so I'm trying to prevent voiding my warranty. I have struggled to find any information about >B20 usage on MK6 TDI's (CR JAA).

I talked with both my dealer about the recent change in what is available at the pump and they said their technicians just submit diesel testing straight to VWofA warranty folks for claim approval. I called VWofA to see if there had been any warranty language tweaks for California similar to other states with mandated higher Bio percentages and after a while on hold they said "You are approved to use any biodiesel in your 2011 TDI due to recent research into improved quality of biodiesel in North America" I asked if I could get that in writing and they said I would have to talk with my dealer, but again the dealer pointed me to them so I clarified so I am ok to put more than B5 in my car. She read back to the 5% biodiesel and I made she she understood that as written is says less than 5% not MORE than 5% and she again said "Yes any biodiesel is acceptable in your vehicle".

Not entirely sure what to make of all this and curious to hear from folks in the community. I think my plan is to just take the plunge and use B99, replace my filter, keep an eye on oil level and go from there. I am mechanically savy and while the warranty is awesome value, it will be up relatively soon and don't mind replacing my own filters/oil/etc. more often if it lets me keep driving this great car. My only other option it seems would be to sell the car because I can't refuel anywhere local to me.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Is it indeed 'biodiesel' at the pumps or 'renewable' diesel? There is a difference. R50-R99 should work just fine as the vaporization curve is similiar to regular diesel and the oil dilution will be minimal or least similiar to normal diesel.

Normal biodiesel at 50-90% will NOT work in most modern diesels, I cant see the service stations switching over to that due to vehicle incompatability.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd go ahead and try it. If your car won't run on the fuel available to you, it's time to look for an electric or gasoline/hybrid vehicle.

twiggg

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (6MT)
Is it indeed 'biodiesel' at the pumps or 'renewable' diesel? There is a difference. R50-R99 should work just fine as the vaporization curve is similiar to regular diesel and the oil dilution will be minimal or least similiar to normal diesel.

Normal biodiesel at 50-90% will NOT work in most modern diesels, I cant see the service stations switching over to that due to vehicle incompatability.
I am almost certain, I had a similar conclusion regarding R99 being ok. but the pumps say B instead of R. I'll double check next time I need a fill-up and reply back.

I'd go ahead and try it. If your car won't run on the fuel available to you, it's time to look for an electric or gasoline/hybrid vehicle.
This is my thinking as well haha

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Even B100 will run for some time. Only your oil level will rise as it dilutes with fuel causing more wear. I would imagine it is R not B.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
It will run just fine on B99..for awhile. DO NOT just try it and ruin an engine. Yes it will fill the crankcase with oil.

I have been making bio for 20years. Have hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles. There are limits however.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
It will also completely gum up the injectors, as the temperatures are too high for Bio-D and start solidifying on/in the injectors. Expect your Check Engine light to come on fairly quickly with more than B20. I would tend to believe it's the renewable diesel, not Bio-D.

Last edited:

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
It will also completely gum up the injectors, as the temperatures are too high for Bio-D and start solidifying on/in the injectors. Expect yiur Check Engine light to come on fairly quickly with more than B20.
[/QUOTE]

Myth. Not trying to start a war but that is not true with quality made bio. Have 65,000mi on a 2004PD and runs great (total miles is 300K). Pulled the injectors at 45,000mi into experiment to see what they looked like. No buildup of any kind.
Also run homebrew at B50 in a 2020 DMAX with crazy high injection pressure. Runs fine. No degradation and the DPF regen intervals are milege maxed everytime due to CLEAN burn.

The myths started when it was the wild west in regards to bio production (2008ish) and there was alot of garbage fuel out there. Yes, low quality fuel will do damage and unfortunantly did damage a number of engines. High quality bio with the proper additive package works.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Myth. Not trying to start a war but that is not true with quality made bio. Have 65,000mi on a 2004PD and runs great (total miles is 300K). Pulled the injectors at 45,000mi into experiment to see what they looked like. No buildup of any kind.
The PD is not a Common Rail engine. Different conditions in the combustion chamber, and completely different injectors. What I said has been verified by multiple people.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of the diesel vehicles on the road today are common rail injection. Seems unlikely that the gas stations in LA would be selling incompatible fuel. Probably a blend of renewable and FAME.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
The PD is not a Common Rail engine. Different conditions in the combustion chamber, and completely different injectors. What I said has been verified by multiple people

Ran a 2004 Duramax with "common rail" injection for 150Kmi on BIO. Ran fine. Common consensus is that PD injectors will also fail on BIO. What I said has been verified by actual observation and experience. Not the rantings of people that ran garbage fuel and then complained about problems. It is not surprising that there were many failures. Like i said it was the wild west as far as QC was concerned back when the "common consensus" was established. This included commercial made biodiesel fuel.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also run homebrew at B50 in a 2020 DMAX with crazy high injection pressure. Runs fine. No degradation and the DPF regen intervals are milege maxed everytime due to CLEAN burn.

The myths started when it was the wild west in regards to bio production (2008ish) and there was alot of garbage fuel out there. Yes, low quality fuel will do damage and unfortunantly did damage a number of engines. High quality bio with the proper additive package works.
You sound conflicted. First you say most modern diesels shouldn't run B50 or stronger, then you say you run homebrew B50 in a 2020 Duramax without issue. Which is it?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
CR 2.0 TDIs except the 2015 are not rated for anything other than B5.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Ran a 2004 Duramax with "common rail" injection for 150Kmi on BIO. Ran fine.
Apples to oranges. Your Duramax was not a VW CR TDI, so not a comparable engine. And if I remember correctly, the Duramax officially listed support for B20, which is quite a difference from VW's restriction to B5.

When the VW CR engines were first released, one member took a Jetta and ran it on B100 (maybe B99, don't remember exactly). He encountered check engine light errors within a couple of weeks, and as I recall had major issues within a month or two. This was someone with experience with BioD, and used quality fuel. Stop pushing your personal experience with a completely different engine as the sole truth for a VW CR engine.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Apples to oranges. Your Duramax was not a VW CR TDI, so not a comparable engine. And if I remember correctly, the Duramax officially listed support for B20, which is quite a difference from VW's restriction to B5.

When the VW CR engines were first released, one member took a Jetta and ran it on B100 (maybe B99, don't remember exactly). He encountered check engine light errors within a couple of weeks, and as I recall had major issues within a month or two. This was someone with experience with BioD, and used quality fuel. Stop pushing your personal experience with a completely different engine as the sole truth for a VW CR engine.
Correct. Lets be careful. The VW CR engines are expensive to repair, much more than the ALH and PD and part availability is very serious issue and not getting better :-(

Last edited: