U.S. Comeback?

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Also, MB still makes the Sprinter van in diesel ....... and go camping! :)
I love my 04 Jetta TDI Wagon purchased in 2016 for business, and new to me in 2020, 06 Sprinter camper van project with the great MB 2.7l CDI OM647. These powerplants' high torque make both vehicles easy to drive. Jetta gets twice the MPG with 1/3 the cargo volume. Let's go camping!:)

Last edited:

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm really surprised that the BIG OIL companies haven't gone all-in on Bio-Diesel manufacturing .... one of the bigger drawbacks of all petroleum fueled engines is the carbon dioxide emissions
BIG OIL, Chevron, is onboard with renewable diesel and jet fuel. It's technology is being implemented by a smaller company to "develop “circular bioeconomy” approach to the production of renewable fuels", specifically carbon neutral Jet A to provision major carriers at SFO (San Francisco International), and surface transport diesel. Further reading: www.aemetis.com.
While I am long retired from the securities business, never the less, I want to make this disclosure: I have a beneficial long position in the shares of AMTX either through stock ownership, options, or other derivatives. YMMV

GlennGlenn

TDI
Formerly Passat
No diesel cars for sure. Last of the American ones were the Chevrolet Cruze and Equinox, and the GMC Terrain.

You can get the new inline 6 diesel in a Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade. All you need is the better part of $100K to spend. :eek:
I know this is an old post, but I got rid (buy back) of my Passat TDi and got a Chevy Cruze 2.0 CTD and put $$ in my pocket. Yes, sadly the day of the diesel car is over and we can all thank VW's debacle for that. The last of the diesel cars was the 1.6 2019 Cruze in either sedan or HB. 2018 for the Equinox and Terrain with the same 1.6 engine. My Cruze has been nothing but reliable for >100K miles and only the factory recall for DEF tank heater brought her in. It's a better built car than my Passat and is better on the road. May not look as good, but it's all around a better car.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have 3 Diesels ! 2015 VW Jetta SEL TDI bought new and then Diesel Gate 6 months later! VW paid me 8K to keep it! And a really long Warranty! I also have a 2014 BMW 328d XDrive and a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Eco Diesel! The Jeep has had some Problems but all ar3 covered by Emissions Warranties! Wouldn’t have it any other way!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I know this is an old post, but I got rid (buy back) of my Passat TDi and got a Chevy Cruze 2.0 CTD and put $$ in my pocket. Yes, sadly the day of the diesel car is over and we can all thank VW's debacle for that. The last of the diesel cars was the 1.6 2019 Cruze in either sedan or HB. 2018 for the Equinox and Terrain with the same 1.6 engine. My Cruze has been nothing but reliable for >100K miles and only the factory recall for DEF tank heater brought her in. It's a better built car than my Passat and is better on the road. May not look as good, but it's all around a better car.
From my experience the Cruze and the Passat can't even be compared size and comfort wise at the very least. Don't know why you would even come back and make a post like this. Glad you like your Cruze.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Come back? No, but VW is paying for 20 new electric buses for Charlotte transit. Heard that on the news last night.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
From my experience the Cruze and the Passat can't even be compared size and comfort wise at the very least. Don't know why you would even come back and make a post like this. Glad you like your Cruze.
Definitively agree. I would say our 2015 Passat TDI is one of the most spacious and efficient mid-size sedans in that production year.

The Chevy Cruze is in a different size vehicle category.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Come back? No, but VW is paying for 20 new electric buses for Charlotte transit. Heard that on the news last night.
IIRC there was something in the lawsuit that they had to contribute to stuff like this. Probably not something they would do on their own.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For sure VWAG is not doing this as a philanthropic gesture.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I really want one of those in a wagon body, but I am scared of BMW 4cyl's. Afaik theyve notoriously been bad for timing chains/tensioners
The chain/tensioner issue was on early versions of this engine. We didn't get it until several years after that issue was resolved.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
How do you like that BMW?
I really want one of those in a wagon body, but I am scared of BMW 4cyl's. Afaik theyve notoriously been bad for timing chains/tensioners
I love the Car I bought it in 2017 as a CPO! it was an off lease Car and had been 7 miles from my home it’s whole lease at the time I bought a Maintenance warranty for 3 k it paid for itself put Brakes on it replaced the injectors and serviced for 3 years the Car is great I don’t drive much and lost the last couple years due to Covid….love the car the Wagens are much more expensive and very hard to