Cleaning EGR , exhaust system + ?

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
Watching some YouTube , and one of the suggested videos came up with using DPF cleaner and putting in to a pressurized spray bottle , then spraying in the intake while at 2000 RPM .
I was in the auto repair bis for many decades , and generally using easier / halfway measures --- typically would give half-assed results , and generally at best .
If anyone has done some number of head gaskets - should have noticed that many times the coolant going into the combustion chamber - and out , has done some vary complete cleaning , not always seems that it takes a fair amount of driving / heat / RPM to do the almost like sandblasting of cleaning to bear clean metal .
The real proof would be to take apart show buildup of carbon / oily exhaust etc. , put back together & then do the spray-clean and take apart - would take away from the " EASY " part a good video [ not shop , or even a garage anymore ;( ] .
But wondering if anyone has done this ?
The video seems to be an English guy , showed codes for low EGR flow , then no codes after cleaning .

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Watching some YouTube , and one of the suggested videos came up with using DPF cleaner and putting in to a pressurized spray bottle , then spraying in the intake while at 2000 RPM .
That sounds like a hella bad idea. Especially if the intake is gunked up.
I don't think there's any gain in running any type of solvent through the intake or exhaust after physically cleaning them.
Not sure exactly what you're asking but here's the main thing about cleaning the EGR and the intake manifold it's attached to:
Do not get any of the coked up oil/gunk into (or past) the valves!
Check this page:
for
Intake Manifold Cleaning 101 - Common therapy for sluggish performance. By Snowball
and
Another intake manifold cleaning .pdf by DeafBug

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
definitely no good to do something like that.. .horrrible idea.

i use an old baking tray just for things like this. put the intake manifold on it, use a screwdriver or something to get the bulk of the crap out, take my jar of old ****ty paint thinner or gas, then just scrub it out with an toothbrush or whatever, then spray out with some brake cleaner, scrub a little more, then rinse out with the hose, dry it, pour the nasty liquid remains into my outside potbelly stove. maybe takes 30 minutes aside to clean/scrub aside from the prep.