What did you do to your MK7 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I definitely find the Audi map styles easier to look at.

Does that map style similarly change on the Virtual Cockpit map display?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I definitely find the Audi map styles easier to look at.

Does that map style similarly change on the Virtual Cockpit map display?
Yup, sent right over to the AID. Don't you have Discover Pro?

If yes, you should be able to run different map styles. It's not a function of the MIB Toolbox... I mean it is, but the toolbox implementation doesn't work on a non-EU unit. Ask me how I know 😂.

Loading map styles from SD is actually a Discover Pro firmware feature. Right now I'm just leaving a (properly loaded) SD card in the second slot. The Audi map style loads from that card if it's inserted at power up. Pop the card out before turning on the MIB and the VW style will load.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
what version SD card ( nav) are you running in your MIB2, if not a secret?
I have Discover Pro with 2022 maps so the maps are loaded/stored in the unit.
It's a different map database from Discover Navigation, my car shows "Version 85"
On my system information... Navigation Database: V03959809PL0085 NAR 2022

For Discover Navigation, where you need the SD Card inserted...
The latest card would be part number 5NA919866BF - V11, NAR 2021/22

It remains to be seen if we (MIB 2 Discover Nav/Pro) will get 2022/2023 maps. We might be stuck here with MIB3 out now.

Edit: With regard to my screenshot from the quoted post. That is a mapstyles change, possible on Discover Pro. It is just the skin of the maps, but nothing do with the version (year). The underlying navigation database is the same.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I have Discover Pro with 2022 maps so the maps are loaded/stored in the unit.
It's a different map database from Discover Navigation, my car shows "Version 85"
On my system information... Navigation Database: V03959809PL0085 NAR 2022

For Discover Navigation, where you need the SD Card inserted...
The latest card would be part number 5NA919866BF - V11, NAR 2021/22

It remains to be seen if we (MIB 2 Discover Nav/Pro) will get 2022/2023 maps. We might be stuck here with MIB3 out now.

Edit: With regard to my screenshot from the quoted post. That is a mapstyles change, possible on Discover Pro. It is just the skin of the maps, but nothing do with the version (year). The underlying navigation database is the same.
Thanks,
The reason why I asked is I tried to use the 5NA 919 866 E ( V7) in my MIB2 and it didnt work, it says "the card contains navigation data" and then "navigation database is not available". I tried to swap the map file ( folder) with downloaded v11 version ( per instruction on vwvortex) and it didnt not work either. I was wondering what kind of card ( version) i need to put in there to at least see if it works

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Thanks,
The reason why I asked is I tried to use the 5NA 919 866 E ( V7) in my MIB2 and it didnt work, it says "the card contains navigation data" and then "navigation database is not available". I tried to swap the map file ( folder) with downloaded v11 version ( per instruction on vwvortex) and it didnt not work either. I was wondering what kind of card ( version) i need to put in there to at least see if it works
I'm not sure I completely follow you...

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure I completely follow you...
my car originally didnt come with Nav, its a golf sportwagen S, mib2 was retrofitted, didnt come with the card but it is the one with navigation

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Ahhhh... check your FECs. Different FECs for different map versions. What FECs do you have active?

Follow this video, he talks a lot but the pertinent info is at about 15 seconds... if you don't know how to check them. Post back the ones you have installed and not installed.
Edit: I didn't post the video link until today, thanks @Nuje 🤣

I'll have to go look up the different numbers once you post them, or you can Google them. Information is annoying with spread out. I have a link somewhere that's a pretty exhausted list. A navigation fec ending in 99 is for lifetime maps I believe.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Small coding change, to illuminate the outer tail lights when either door on the same side is opened. It's a nice, safety feature if you have to street park at night. Should/could do a better job than the lower door reflectors at getting the attention of drivers in the near lane.

Not much of an improvement if your car has leaving home lights coded. Leaving home lights turn on the headlights/tails when the car is unlocked, but only if it's dark which means it's not possible to code (properly) on a car without RLS. Even so, max time for leaving home lights is 60 seconds, so if you're loading the car on the street for longer this is still a good thing.

On to the "good" stuff... Adaptation Channels in 09 - BCM

ENG116956-ENG116261-Leuchte20BR LA71-Dimmwert CD 20 - From 0 to 100
ENG116956-ENG116259-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion C 20 - From not active to Tuerausstiegslicht links
- Leuchte20BR LA71 = Light Channel 20, BCM plug A pin 71 - wired to left (outer) brake light
- Dimmwert CD is the brightness for assigned functions C and D (there are 8 possible functions, A-H).
- Function A for this channel is set to brake light.
- I have assigned Function C to Tuerausstiegslicht links, translation Door Exit Light on the Left
- If you want the same brightness for brakes and door opened, you could set Lichtfunktion B 20 to Tuerausstiegslicht links instead

ENG116956-ENG116261-Leuchte21BR RC8-Dimmwert CD 20 - From 0 to 100
ENG116956-ENG116259-Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion C 20 - From not active to Tuerausstiegslicht rechts
- Leuchte21BR RC8 = Light Channel 21, BCM plug C pin 8 - wired to right (outer) brake light
- Dimmwert CD is the brightness for assigned functions C and D (there are 8 possible functions, A-H).
- Function A for this channel is set to brake light.
- I have assigned Function C to Tuerausstiegslicht links, translation Door Exit Light on the Right
- If you want the same brightness for brakes and door opened, you could set Lichtfunktion B 20 to Tuerausstiegslicht rechts instead

• I set the dimmerwert (brightness) value to 100 in my car because I have LED tails
    • For LED's the brake light brightness setting is 127
  • If you have stock tails dimmerwert 50 (half the brake light brightness) is probably better

Edit: Was thinking about this... I'll have to check but I'm almost positive there is Lichtfunktion for hatch open, which could be added to LA71-Lichtfunktion D and RC8-Lichtfunktion D. This would illuminate both outer tails if the hatch is opened. I'll check and report back.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nicely done!
And kudos / thanks for translating your coding - really helps others (like me) understand what we're doing when piggy-backing on work like this, as opposed to just blindly following a recipe.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Completed first (of approx. infinity) steps in the KESSY rear door retrofit - painted handles installed.

First issue encountered: wire terminals on the harness I got with the door handles from Aliexpress (bottom) are completely wrong.

That's relatively easy to overcome, though; bigger issue is that my KESSY module (05-Start Authorization) is a 32-pin connector

, while the how-tos and wiring diagrams I'm referencing are for a 40-pin connector from the Mk7.5. 🤦‍♂️

And while I was in the doors, decided to add in the rear puddle lights, too, because....well, why not?

And then, having not driven the car at night for a while, discovered that the front door's puddle light has severely washed out. Glad that they're only like $15 for a pair.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
For the wiring... Individual pin and repair wire PNs

Now if you really wanna throw some money at the puddle light "issue" you're having...
OEM, with new VW Logo, PN 000052120F 😬
Cheaper elsewhere but better pics on eBay.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
The windshield was replaced for the second time in a little over 6 months today by Safelite. Same tech I had last time. Start to finish about 35 minutes. This replacement was necessary because of an object from a passing truck. I saw this object coming toward my car while it was passing me and bam, right into driver side of windshield in middle. Of course it started raining after it happened, so the wiper got nicks in it. I'm trying some Duralast wipers this go around...we'll see how they hold up...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For the wiring... Individual pin and repair wire PNs

Now if you really wanna throw some money at the puddle light "issue" you're having...
OEM, with new VW Logo, PN 000052120F 😬
Cheaper elsewhere but better pics on eBay.
Thanks for the part numbers, Cuzoe!

And yeah - I'll buy those $200 puddle lights right after I get the $200 dynamic wheel centre caps. 🙃

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
66mm diameter...?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Hmm, Neuspeed annoying doesn't list the size. It's a risk getting these VW caps anyway, product page says "Proper installation required. Professional installation may be recommended. See owner’s literature and dealer for details."

For $200 I don't wanna mess anything up

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - probably be at least a couple hours of labour in the shop to "professionally" install those centre caps.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Electronic Parking Brake retrofit in progress, CoolerWorx shifter installed. When the center console goes back in so will OEM wireless charging in the cubby. Installing, but not yet powering or coding, direct TPMS. Also routing wires for RGB interior lighting... footwells, center console, dash strip, doors.
https://flic.kr/p/2nSMXRo https://flic.kr/p/2nSMXVr https://flic.kr/p/2nSMXVb https://flic.kr/p/2nSQCqW
Really keen eyes may notice my new center console has the hole for start/stop button. My car doesn't have start/stop but that space will be used for my subwoofer level knob. Grabbed a broken/worn start/stop button on eBay that will be torn down then repurposed.

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
Found me a 2015 Golf SW SEL, TDI, CRUA. Has 120k miles with full records of all service at VW dealership. I paid through the nose, but the car is beautiful. I drove it home to Detroit from Eastern PA, what an upgrade from my MK4 and MK5. Now researching the timing belt replacement and trying to figure out what all those buttons on the SW are, lol