New VW diesel engine

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They not selling them today. They've stopped delivery on the A6 and A7 with the 271 hp diesel.

Jimmyyy

TDI
2018 Audi SQ7 TDI
Now either you are being sarcastic or are a bit clueless. Battery production cleaner?

Also I don't foresee in the reasonable future battery power being a viable option in colder climates or for rural people that need to travel long distances.
Of course

tico_tdi

TDI
golf gl 2003 silver (sold), 2013 Passat SE(buyback), 2015 Passat SE, Audi 2015 Q7 TDI (new addition) gray
This is just another B/S story. I saw a similar one a couple years ago written by Seth Borenstein where he stated that TDI's had killed over 5K people every year which is libel. Emissions on gas vehicles are plenty bad too and in most cases worse than diesel. Then there is the fact that multiple manufacturers were caught cheating over the years including Toyota, Honda, GM Ford etc. VW was crucified because it competed with the Prius.
I know this is a late reply, but I could not help commenting on another Seth borenstien’s “fabrication”. I wouldn’t/ you cannot believe anything he writes. I had an unfortunate experience many years ago in the late 80’s with a story he wrote on my work. He attended a high management level gov briefing of my work(at well respected gov exploration agency) & interviewed me afterwards. lets say he got everything wrong. My briefing was not a PhD level scientific presentation, but something I had given many times to the general public & school kids. I had well over 100 TV & newspaper interviews & he was the only one that really screwed it up.

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
"Findings published in the respected scientific journal Nature earlier this year revealed that a minimum of 38,000 people around the world die early every year as a result of the failure of diesel vehicles to meet official emissions limits in real driving conditions."

Give me a break!
-Jason
I usually find that the more words that are used to describe a statistic the more meaningless it is. Especially when a completely arbitrary word like "early" is used to describe it.

Ironically, the other day I was listening to a podcast that said eating one hot dog takes 36 minutes off your life. So what is more significant in taking my life from me? Existence of diesels or hot dogs?

Only thing I know from all of this is that I am fu****.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Tesla is plagued with production problems, the "list" looks to me to be a nifty way to raise a bunch of capital to slow down the company's money bleeding problems, and does not necessarily mean all those people are actually wanting to buy them. Right now, there are a BUNCH of brand new 3s on the auction lots that were purchased by speculators... these people have no interest in the cars beyond trying to make a buck. They did the same thing with a bunch of other cars, too (the New Beetle was one of them).

And now the Elon Musk zealots have raised a bunch of cash to buy His Highness a new couch for his long days at work. Seriously. :rolleyes: The guy just launched a car into space. The whole organization looks more and more like a ponzi scheme to me, and as someone else here said, he's one step away from a Bond villain.

I would have FAR more faith in a REAL car company designing, building, and selling an EV, but since there is not any strong urge to do so, they'll do it half hearted and/or right alongside the pump suckers that everyone else will actually buy.

Oh, and the "every man's Tesla", that was supposed to start at under $30k (already pretty pricey for me), quickly shot past that, and all the ones at auction are ones that sold new for nearly twice that. It will probably be another year before an entry level one is actually built and sold at an entry level price. But there are truckloads of them for sale all over for $55k+ that are barely used. So there is no need to "wait", you can have your choice of 100+ of them with less than 500 miles on them, LOL.
Apparently, $30 BILLION is earmarked for Musk, in the new Budget. You can't make this **** up...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's now a shared vehicle with the Ford Ranger. We might have a slightly better chance of seeing it in North America but not with a diesel powerplant.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The whole pre-order thing is relatively new to the industry. Some say it was mostly Tesla's way to raise capital at low cost. But you couldn't pre-order a VW Rabbit Diesel in the 70s. Just hope the dealer got one into stock.

It isn't just Tesla. What about the 200,000 preorders for Ford Lightnings?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My '79 Rabbit was special ordered... as I bought it from the original owner. Who waited nearly six months to get it, and when it finally showed up, it was the wrong color combination. When he was told there was nothing they could do but reorder it, he asked if they'd knock some off the price. The salesman smiled and said "I have three people in the waiting room right now that will gladly pay me MORE than you are paying today, and they don't care what color it is". So he drove it home, paid full price.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've only had one pleasant experience buying cars/trucks from dealerships. That was when I bought the '10 Golf I drive currently from a small family run local used car lot. Every other dealership has wanted to play the typical games. Lots of horror stories lately with regards to dealers taking advantage of the supply issues. If you're looking to buy a vehicle from a dealer anytime soon, be prepared to bend over.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've not done it myself but I've known lots of people that preordered cars for the next model year. In the past, (IIRC) VW would start to take orders for the new models in June for September delivery. Most other major brands were similar. Now, pre-order like Tesla and Ford are doing is different. Not sure how comfortable I'd be ordering a vehicle that still has not rolled one unit off the line. My customers usually wait until I have commercial product in stock.

oilhammer

TDI
The reason people order something is usually because they don't want what is a typical packaged deal. My dad ordered a new Ranger in '84, a new F150 in '94, and another new Ranger in '99. All three of those trucks are so rare equipment wise, they may as well be one-of-a-kind. Pickups are especially like this, since they historically had SO MANY different combinations.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW doesn't actually build cars to order. A dealer can request a specific vehicle color and options, and VW will flag a car that meets that spec when it's scheduled to be built and make it part of that dealer's allocation. But it's not a build to order thing. Honda operates the same way. I do think you can place an order for a BMW or a Mercedes.

oilhammer

TDI
They ordered them all the time when I worked there. It just took a while, because the build queue for the US-market is pretty far down. That's where all the odd-ball cars come from. Like my friend's '98 Jetta TDI with ABS and nothing else, or the white 2005 wagon I sold here a couple years ago that the same guy ordered (white, tan leather, manual TDI w/ ESP). He waited so long for that, he ended up buying an almost identical 2004 (no ESP) and two weeks later the 2005 showed up.

I think they can't "place" the order at any time, only when open orders are being taken, and that varies year to year and model to model. If you know someone who knows someone, you can even track the car's VIN before it is even built! Because the VIN gets generated first. In some cases, it is a couple weeks before it actually gets built.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think the board change will effect the future vehicles from VWAG. All electric!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm looking forward to seeing how Mazda's new diesel is going to work out. They're doing a lightweight hybrid setup. Not slated to be available in the US: which means that I won't be buying ANY new vehicles (has to be a diesel). It is possible that Mazda could prove that diesels are still viable in the consumer market.

All-eggs-in-one-basket that is electric is already showing signs of potential future problems. Lithium availability (refer to China's reductions in battery production due to heatwave). And strains on the electrical grid (refer to California's announcement to reduce charging due to heatwave).

Seems that we're going to run out of chickens before we figure out whether it's the chicken or the egg which comes first... (we cannot get there from here- IMO we long-ago missed the boat)

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
A clean diesel hybrid would be a very interesting development. Anything diesel would be a hard sell in North America but a 75-100mpg vehicle, which may be possible with a diesel hybrid, would represent a significant reduction in GHG overall compared to current gas/diesel.
Infrastrucure on the electric grid to increase capacity along with overcoming barriers to mass production of vehicle batteries is likely a minimum of 20 years away to get to a scale to be a game changer. With heat waves and weather (hurricanes/fires/flash flooding) putting major strains/damaging the electric grid, let alone a significant growth of electric vehicles adding load to the grid, my 20 year guess may be light.
The other issue is the time it would take to do a motor vehicle mass rollover to new clean technology, if you look at the age of vehicles in Africa, Asia, South America, it would take a long time to see the old vehicles replaced with new? 30-40 years?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I have a unique situation, have 4 cars with none more than 25.,000 miles on any of them, I just turned 80 so the need for a new car is nil. I already have my Touareg TDI. I just like to follow all the debates on what is the issue of the day. LOL BTW one of the 4 is a 1978 Alfa spider with 17,000 miles bgt new.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Alfa spider has always been a garage queen driven around town in the summer months. Stored in a bubble for the winter.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Infrastrucure on the electric grid to increase capacity along with overcoming barriers to mass production of vehicle batteries is likely a minimum of 20 years away to get to a scale to be a game changer. With heat waves and weather (hurricanes/fires/flash flooding) putting major strains/damaging the electric grid, let alone a significant growth of electric vehicles adding load to the grid, my 20 year guess may be light.
20 years until 100% of new vehicles are electric? What do you mean by 'game changer'?

If you look at the numbers the existing grid typically has sufficient spare capacity to support ~90% of existing light duty vehicles being electric now. Not just 90% of new but ~90% of all existing vehicles. Lets take CA since they're getting all the attention due to banning new ICE in 2035 and getting a flex alert due to a heat wave in the same week.

CA uses ~14B gallons of gasoline per year. That's ~38M gallons per day. An equivalent EV is going to use ~10kWh of electricity for every gallon the ICE it replaced used. So CA would need ~380GWh/day of electricity to replace 100% of gasoline powered vehicles in the state.

If you look at the CAISO resource adequacy there was ~237GWh of spare capacity on September 5th which was the tightest supply has been all year and probably in the last 5 years. On August 5th there was 380GWh of surplus capacity. April 5th ~340GWh. Renewable generation is increasing by ~5,000GWh/yr. By 2035 there will be an additional ~100GWh/day available.

And lithium was never the problem. It was cobalt and nickel. EVs are increasingly using LFP batteries which do not use Co or Ni.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I am reading about California rationing electricity now without a big fleet of EV’s charging on top of the shortage now?

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
I am reading about California rationing electricity now without a big fleet of EV’s charging on top of the shortage now?
There's only a shortage between 4pm and 10pm. The other 18 hours of the day there's over 200GWh of energy available. Enough for over half of existing cars in the state to be electric. Really not a problem to charge between 10pm and 4pm instead of 4pm - 10pm...