Euro tunning 6th gear add on kit

Fabbie

TDI
1.9 1999 jetta
Has anyone tried contact the guys in Czech Republic euro tunning and paid and had one of those conversion kits shipped to USA ?
After long research I can’t find any of these kits if not mention here on forum and this euro tunning Czech website with just a phone number and bank account. I can’t just try contact and have money sent. Iam not sure how to do it, i wanna this kit for my
Mk4 jetta tdi. Just wanna know if anyone here in the forum from US has placed order for one
Those two websites address is all i can find

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
it's an awesome kit. i've got one (bought a year ago) and i know a number of others who have bought from them 100% trustworthy: https://eurotuning.cz

but yeah, you do have to do a bank wire, that's all they take. they'll give you the info, and you call your bank and have them wire it... i plan to get another some day for my mk3 when i can afford it.

they suggested to me to have machine shop bore out one of the main bearings and replace it with a slightly larger, stronger one. they included the bearing basically at cost ($30 or so?). it's another expense and trip to the machine shop, but felt it was worth it.

also a good time to drill out the 5th gear area for increased oiling. and of course doing a LSD would be ideal. i put in a peloquin and while it was expensive... extremely glad i did. with the torque my mk1 is putting out, it was a little squirrely, the LSD helped immensely

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I obtained one of their kits for my (then) B4 passat. This was a number of years ago. Communicative, and the kit was top notch. Somewhat slower shipping in order to keep the costs down.

My kit is still going several 100,000 miles later with the current owner.

Fabbie

TDI
1.9 1999 jetta
Thanks Burpod and Windex . I will try get in touch with Czech guys. My jetta is going strong , fiddling here and there the car is doing great, iam doing 44/46 and sometimes 47 mpg mix stop and go and highway. But i want more of this little car. Special now with fuel prices. Iam not going to try electric not yet at least for now

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Important to note that you're not likely to see much of a reduction on Fuel economy with the eurotuning kit. At least I didn't - there was a small reduction (was doing mostly highway at the time) but not enough to pay for the kit in any reasonable time.

The best benefit for me was the reduction in noise/highway revs. at 75mph/120kph is where the kit really shines. unfortunately you can't get away from the reality that drag from wind resistance increase with the square of the speed - 1.5x a 75mph then it would be at 60mph.

It's got a really tall 6th for highway cruising which either puts you at lower speeds and crazy low (almost lugging) revs, or higher speed, good revs, but higher wind resistance.

I believe that's why I never saw any substantial reduction in fuel consumption.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I want one of these too (I think there was a thread on this site (or maybe it was on their thread where they introduced their product) where a person did have some issue with it but that was only one that I had heard of having a potential problem and there were seemingly more people having good thing to say about the kit (hence my wanting one also)...

I did try to get a group buy together in another thread but no takers ....

I say go for it and if you call them maybe ask them if they'll give us a group buy discount .... I'm in.

Thanks

Andrew

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
I've never had a consistent drive to notice mpg Improvements, and it's in my mk1 that I'm always fiddling with and tuning, so never even had a good baseline. But it's an amazing drive on the highway now, I could never go back to 5spd. I'd like to imagine with the right driving and conditions you might pick up 3-4mpg but I *Think* it's unlikely you'd see more than that, but would certain depend how much of your driving is pure highway where you'd actually be in 6th.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have Windex’s old wagon and absolutely love the 6th gear, but it’s useless below 65 mph. When we lived in Maine I infrequently was able to use it, but since moving to the desert southwest I use it all the time with the higher speeds. I;ve driven it across the country and loaded down the car returned about 42 mpg, which isn’t bad since we were moving right along. I do like that the engine doesn’t wind up anymore and it able to cruise well at speed. But everyone is right about the fuel economy, it has not moved a lot but the engine is a lot happier running around. Adding the 6th gear is the way the car should have been from the factory.

This was my old B4 in 5th gear on the highway.

And this is with it in 6th, at a lower rpm.

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
I think 65mph in 6th would be fine if it's tuned right. It's no issue in my mk1, and Ive tested out a tune an Mk4 with a 6spd and 65-70mph was also no issue, at least for cruising on relatively flat roads

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I think 65mph in 6th would be fine if it's tuned right. It's no issue in my mk1, and Ive tested out a tune an Mk4 with a 6spd and 65-70mph was also no issue, at least for cruising on relatively flat roads
We did a group buy of these back in 2015 or some such year...I think there were 8 participants and a total of 10 kits were purchased.

My B3V AHU has the .59 6th gear and 65mph in 6th puts you at 1800 rpm. It's fine at 65 in 6th on flat land but you're better off at 70mph. I always think the engine runs smoother in the 1900-1950rpm range.

As others have said, the benefit is that you don't have to run the engine as hard above 70mph. Cruising at 80 or even higher is nice with the .59 6th and the CTN final drive.

I also have RC2 tune but no other mods as of now.

EDIT: To know how it will actually perform you'd need your trans code, the gear ratios and FD that go with that and then you can use an online calculator to see where engine rpm will be at certain speeds. The Mk4 cars with MT did not come with the 3.157 FD of the 02A CTN so RPM's will be slightly different.

Steve

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
.70 5th and .59 6th is what i put in my mk1, which has the 02A CTN trans and mk3-size wheels/tires. i think i could have easily gone with the next taller 6th they offer (i forget what ratio), but it's probably better this way. it's already way too easy to be going illegal speeds as it is... :|

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
.70 5th and .59 6th is what i put in my mk1, which has the 02A CTN trans and mk3-size wheels/tires. i think i could have easily gone with the next taller 6th they offer (i forget what ratio), but it's probably better this way. it's already way too easy to be going illegal speeds as it is... :|
The .59 6th was the best you could get. I wish I'd gone with the .70 5th but I opted for the .74 because I wasn't sure where that would be for 2 lane 55 mph county roads. After the fact I can tell it would have probably been fine for flat land travel since I typically drive those roads at 60 mph.

EDIT: 65mph is more like 1750 rpm...which seems a little bit out of the optimal power range.

Steve

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone tried contact the guys in Czech Republic euro tunning and paid and had one of those conversion kits shipped to USA ?
After long research I can’t find any of these kits if not mention here on forum and this euro tunning Czech website with just a phone number and bank account. I can’t just try contact and have money sent. Iam not sure how to do it, i wanna this kit for my
Mk4 jetta tdi. Just wanna know if anyone here in the forum from US has placed order for one
Those two websites address is all i can find

HI,

I wrote them today (email) to see if we can get a discount if we buy 2 or 3 units at a time ....

Seems like you are interested in one and I have been dying to get one myself .... Maybe one other person wants to come in ?

I asked them if they could machine for the upgraded bearing also before sending it out to save a potential extra issue after receiving it.

Are you going to try to install this yourself ?

I'm hoping a guru can do mine for me (i'll ask him after a bit but just in case he cannot does. Anybody on here know anybody who can do this not too far from VA (I'm in Charlottesville) .

I think there are different ratios available? If so, what is the best to get ?

Thanks!

Andrew

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
the bearing is in the transmission case - you need to have your local machine shop do that (remove old bearing, bore out old hole to accept larger bearing and install it). they will supply the larger bearing however for cheaper than you can likely get it.

i want another one of these for my mk3, but i have zero money now :/

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
HI,

Just curious but how many RPMs are you doing in 6th at 65 MPH in the MK 4 ?

What RPM drop from 5th to 6th ?

Did you do the install yourself or find somebody to do it?

Thanks

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Doesn't this one just use two standard 5th gears so you can pick what ratio you want?

I really want this but for the price its pretty questionable if its worth it.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The 5th and 6th gears are not std VW ratios - there are a few ratios available, depending on your model, diesel or gas, tire size etc. Best to visit their website and click on "Diagrams" to see all the ratios for the various transmissions available.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
it's totally worth it... IMO :) i absolutely go nuts if i ever have to drive a tdi with a stock 5th geared trans... feel like pulling my hair out on the highway and just twitchy lol. it's not difficult to perform the surgery. at least if you have good gear pullers and have practice pulling them/getting them on. i had a little trouble with mine but it's not something i do regularly and don't have the best puller. had to modify mine again to get at the gears right.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I don't think I could live without it now, the wagon cruises so well at 80/85 and you couldn't do that without this trans kit.

When we did the group buy back in 2015 there were two options for 5th and two options for 6th. For 5th you could get .74 or .71, for 6th I don't remember the lesser but the tallest option was the .588 6th.

If I was buying again I would (for 02A CTN application) get the .71 5th and the .588 6th. Especially if you're doing a tune.

I bought two kits back then, still have the second kit boxed up the way it arrived. It's probably going into the Mk3 GTI TDI although it was supposed to be for the 97 Jetta TDI.

Steve

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still waiting to hear from the company ....

With all the glowing reviews I would like to get one !

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still waiting to hear from the company ....

With all the glowing reviews I would like to get one ;-)

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
HuOTE="Steve Addy, post: 5746710, member: 10318"]
They did for us back in 2015, I'm sure if there was enough interest they would do it again.

Steve
[/QUOTE]

Hi

Seems like there's 3 or 4 interested people here. ..

I emailed them twice about quantity discounts but have not heard back...

I was tempted to call them but I'd have to learn how to make international calls and probably have to get it added to my cell plan first ....

I'm guessuing or hoping somebody there speaks English maybe?

What kind of discounts happened before?

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T
HuOTE="Steve Addy, post: 5746710, member: 10318"]
They did for us back in 2015, I'm sure if there was enough interest they would do it again.

Steve
Hi

I was tempted to call them but I'd have to learn how to make international calls and probably have to get it added to my cell plan first ....

[/QUOTE]

You should be able to use skype for international calls. I'd be interested in being part of the group buy, maybe a friend as well.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi

We didn't have any problems with communication IIRC.

And I don't recall the specifics of the discount, but since we were ordering 10 kits there was a huge savings on shipping because they were all sent together and then parceled out from one central location in the US by a very kind member of the GB.

However....now would be a particularly problematic time to be ordering anything from Eastern Europe and expecting it to get here without delay at the very least....and at the worst disappearing completely for whatever reason.

Steve

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
....and at the worst disappearing completely for whatever reason.
"for whatever reason" is doing a lot of work in that sentence. ;)

For what it's worth, I've recently ordered from Poland without issue. Arrived in roughly 10 days to West Coast of Canada.