What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What did I do today - @alphaseinor dropped by with his wife earlier. We both agreed that the pistons/rods in my 2002 Beetle are all foobared. He hasn't really seen that bad of a motor in a while. We're pretty sure the crank is toast too, so at this point, it looks like block swap time. I'm just yet sure if I want to do a 5 speed swap or not, but it sure is tempting. I know I can pretty easily get $300-ish for the 01M (and that pretty much pays for the engine I have sitting on a stand, sans head, that's going into this car over the next few weeks).
Pictures of aforementioned scrap metal, err pistons and rods

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Another question, I normally get my parts from Roseland here in Canada, and they only have the rear bearings in two brands, Topran ($65) and FAG ($112). I’m guessing the latter would be the bearing of choice here? I’m not sure I’ve heard much about Topran, and that price makes me wonder about quality.
As much as a I appreciate Brian at RoselandTech, sometimes I like to save money more.
(rock auto has the FAG rear bearing hub - two for $112CAD; probably get shipping for ~$18 and they charge GST so no surprises at the door.)

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
As much as a I appreciate Brian at RoselandTech, sometimes I like to save money more.
(rock auto has the FAG rear bearing hub - two for $112CAD; probably get shipping for ~$18 and they charge GST so no surprises at the door.)
My kid bought some skf bearings from there and both sides went out in 6 months, I wonder if the knockoff bearings are getting into rockauto.

Big problem with fake parts, they've been caught putting fakes into real boxes as well as fake boxes/bearings.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm sure you all realize by now that the "they" is not Rock Auto. Rock Auto is a technology company that happens to sell auto parts. They use third party sellers to supply and ship parts in their name. They do not have inventory.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
As much as I appreciate saving money sometimes I like genuine parts more hahaha. There was a thread about rock auto recently, maybe you’ve seen it. In my experience they’ve been okay, but my cousin bought Monroe shocks from them, and they came in Monroe boxes, but the actual shock was branded Monrooney or some such nonsense. Just like norbert says, fake parts is a problem these days. Not a risk I want to take with my German cars lol.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Hey guys, my girlfriend has an 07 beetle and I would like to put in a bigger screen navigation because removing to an area she's not familiar with. Even if navigation is just off her phone, I think it would be nice. Maybe a backup camera? What are you guys recommend

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Just picked up my wheels from the tire shop, got some new rubber put on today. I’m changing back to my 16” wheels in hopes they will help with fuel economy, although I will miss my 17’s.
I also thought I told the guy I need 205/55r16 in a 91H or better but he got me 91T’s, hopefully I don’t need to go over 190 km/h with these... lol
(I did hit 198 km/h once, on a certain piece of highway 🤫)

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Just picked up my wheels from the tire shop, got some new rubber put on today. I’m changing back to my 16” wheels in hopes they will help with fuel economy, although I will miss my 17’s.
I also thought I told the guy I need 205/55r16 in a 91H or better but he got me 91T’s, hopefully I don’t need to go over 190 km/h with these... lol
I told the guy that did the tune to remove the speed limiter. I don't know if he did, I can't afford the fuel

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I told the guy that did the tune to remove the speed limiter. I don't know if he did, I can't afford the fuel
Lol yeah I wouldn’t be trying to achieve those speeds now for sure, that was two years ago I did that. I find myself driving SLOWER than the speed limit these days, and wishing I had a taller 5th gear.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'm just curious what was wrong with the old one. Still sounds like a tedious job nonetheless.
The hard lines on back of rack had lotsa rust and were both wet. Leaked enough fluid in a 2 hour local drive to have the fluid be low enough to cause pump to start making noise when turning into driveway at home. I kept the old rack, as the eBay cheapie was brand new and didn't require a core return. The rack I removed had some purple #s written with paint pen, so not sure if it was replaced previously by previous owners....

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The hard lines on back of rack had lotsa rust and were both wet. Leaked enough fluid in a 2 hour local drive to have the fluid be low enough to cause pump to start making noise when turning into driveway at home. I kept the old rack, as the eBay cheapie was brand new and didn't require a core return. The rack I removed had some purple #s written with paint pen, so not sure if it was replaced previously by previous owners....
That's a good reason to change it. I've honestly never heard of anyone changing the steering rack before, but I suppose it's not unheard of. Hopefully you're no longer leaking fluid though. My car has a small leak from the rear main seal that I need to do at some point...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm sure you all realize by now that the "they" is not Rock Auto. Rock Auto is a technology company that happens to sell auto parts. They use third party sellers to supply and ship parts in their name. They do not have inventory.
Pretty much. Their customer service is almost non-existent. It's email only and getting something resolved can take a week or more of back and forth emailing. I personally use them for some things, but then I'll also use a mix of FCPeuro, CARID once or twice, and the bulk of the crap I order is from @IndigoBlueWagon or @BleachedBora . At least with the last two, I know I'm getting genuine parts, shipped super fast, and not counterfeit garbage.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Does it really make that much a difference in fuel economy? My 2002 Golf has 225 45R17 Conti DWS06 Plus, and the 2000 Golf has a mix of 205 55R16 DWS06 Plus in the front and DWS06 in the rear. Long term, I'll be moving my Golf to 17" tires as well. I feel like they ride a bit better, and they look nicer, too. Hides the fact that my rims were bargains from the junkyard!

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
How could you get that close, and not try for 200?

Their customer service is almost non-existent. It's email only and getting something resolved can take a week or more of back and forth emailing.
It was several years ago, but I called them once and as the guy went through my item list, he pronounced "Lemfoerder" correctly, with the umlaut even. I was shocked, and have since thought they were super professional just because of that.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Does it really make that much a difference in fuel economy? My 2002 Golf has 225 45R17 Conti DWS06 Plus, and the 2000 Golf has a mix of 205 55R16 DWS06 Plus in the front and DWS06 in the rear. Long term, I'll be moving my Golf to 17" tires as well. I feel like they ride a bit better, and they look nicer, too. Hides the fact that my rims were bargains from the junkyard!
I lost .5 mpg going from OEM beetle rims and 205 to aftermarket 5spokes and 215

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I guess we’ll see, it actually may not because the 205/55r16 is SLIGHTLY smaller in diameter than my 225/45r17, so I may be cruising at a slightly higher rpm, which may counteract any decrease in wheel weight.
Oh that’s another thing, I’m going to weigh both sets when I change over and see if there is even a difference there.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well I DID try for 200, but limp mode stopped me! LOL
I think it overboosted, KP39 turbo is known for boost creep apparently haha
Haha, yeah, gotta replace that with a VNT17. That's the first thing I've done on both BEWs I owned before, and what I'll do on my BRM when I get to that project.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I think I have a serious addiction problem... I bought another Golf today. Another silver 2002 Golf TDI. It's so nice looking, I'm tempted to swap all my mods from the 2000 Golf over, and give mom the 2000 Golf to possibly replace her BEW wagon.

And the obligatory picture:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I think I have a serious addiction problem... I bought another Golf today. Another silver 2002 Golf TDI. It's so nice looking, I'm tempted to swap all my mods from the 2000 Golf over, and give mom the 2000 Golf to possibly replace her BEW wagon.

You're a sick man with lots of room. Might sound like an insult, but it's not

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”

Dude how are you finding these? Also, how can you afford to just buy more TDI’s right now? Lol. At least up here they’re super expensive and hard to find a good one right now, because everyone wants them of course lol.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Dude how are you finding these? Also, how can you afford to just buy more TDI’s right now? Lol. At least up here they’re super expensive and hard to find a good one right now, because everyone wants them of course lol.
I had some money in a savings account from flipping 2 TDIs I bought earlier. I was also smart and had my non-roadworthy cars on a storage policy with my insurance company, and got a total of almost $13K from hail claims on Easter Sunday and a single hail event in May. So my 2002 Beetle, that needs a motor swap (and I decided I'm going to do a 5 speed swap on it as well), is technically free at this point, and that would make my second 2002 Golf $400 that I had to pay of my own money. And don't forget my $400 BRM with a single bad lifter that I picked up a few weeks ago. Already got a replacement head that I need to examine and install.

Oh, and the crazy part on this car? The dude who sold it to me previously had a BEW and wants another. He's very familiar with VW stuff, but more so the gassers. He had a 2002 GTI with R32 body kit he bought new, and his first car was a mk1, with a European gas engine (ADA or ADF or some engine code I can't remember). I'm still amazed the car was as cheap as it was, considering the 01M does kinda work.

Now comes the "let's see if I can get all three cars back on the road in under 2 months" game...

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Last weekend, I replaced the driver's side front fender on the 99.5 Golf because of a rust hole down near the rocker panel. (Wasn't diligent about cleaning out the debris behind the fender liner every year). This fender was previously replaced under warranty by the dealer almost 12 years ago because of a rust hole at the top caused by that stupid piece of foam installed at the factory. When I removed the fender this time, the foam was still there, reinstalled by the geniuses at the dealer (though to be fair, there was no rust developing near the foam, just down at the bottom where the leaves build up).

Today it passed state inspection. Just under 24 years old and 187k miles.