kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

punkassjim

Very interesting! I had the same idea, do you still have the wiring diagram for the adapter?
Here you go. Keep in mind, this was compiled from research I did 17 years ago, from many disparate wiring diagrams provided by strangers on the internet, and I was not entirely paying attention to differences between model years and cluster part numbers. The photo I posted above is the only indication I ever got that I didn't F it all up royally. Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to reinstall, match the immo, and double-check my work.

punkassjim

If anyone has any other confirmations on any of the questioned items (either with a question mark or asterisk), let me know and I will update the list.
I can say for certain that, on my 1J0 CCM, the bit for “rear hatch unlock type” works perfectly. You can remove the asterisk. I just rewired my hatch from Jetta style to Golf, and the two-way solenoid didn’t work properly until I flipped that bit.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
I don't own any Audi clusters, so I don't have any easy way to add support for them. I have added support for some cluster part numbers that I don't own, but those have been ones that were very similar to ones that I do own (e.g., MKIV VDO clusters with different ROM versions than what I have here). You're welcome to try it with an Audi cluster and see what happens. If it doesn't work, there's a chance I can figure out why.
Well I tried it, and this was the result:

Code:
Version 0.62-beta (https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases)
Args: com2 10400 17 dumpeeprom 0 2048 bins\AllroadCluster\Stock03-297831k.bin
OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.3.9600.0
.NET Version: 5.0.8
Culture: en-CA
Opening serial port com2
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $01
Keyword Msb $8A
Protocol is KW 1281 (8N1)
ECU: 4B0920933S  KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D12
Software Coding 06364, Workshop Code: 19411
Sending ReadIdent block
Sending ReadIdent block
Sending Custom "Read Software Version" blocks
Sending Custom "Unlock Additional Commands" block
Received NAK block
Received NAK block
Received NAK block
Received NAK block
Received NAK block
Sending Custom "Unlock partial EEPROM read" block
Caught: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException The given key '0' was not present in the dictionary.
Unhandled exception: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key '0' was not present in the dictionary.
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey )
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Cluster.VdoCluster.UnlockCluster(IKW1281Dialog kwp1281) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Cluster\VdoCluster.cs:line 17
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.UnlockControllerForEepromReadWrite(IKW1281Dialog kwp1281) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 863
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.DumpClusterEeprom(IKW1281Dialog kwp1281, UInt16 startAddress, UInt16 length) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 979
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.DumpEeprom(IKW1281Dialog kwp1281, UInt32 address, UInt32 length) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 572
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Run(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 205
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\gmeno\src\kw1281test\Program.cs:line 26
Looks like it got partway through, but failed to find an unlock code that works. This was an '03 C5 Allroad cluster.

IJskonijn

TDI
Seat Leon 1M - ASV
Here you go. Keep in mind, this was compiled from research I did 17 years ago, from many disparate wiring diagrams provided by strangers on the internet, and I was not entirely paying attention to differences between model years and cluster part numbers. The photo I posted above is the only indication I ever got that I didn't F it all up royally. Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to reinstall, match the immo, and double-check my work.
Thanks mate! I will compare it with what I had so far.
I guess the big challenge will be the can gateway, since there is none in the audi cluster at my end...

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
I can say for certain that, on my 1J0 CCM, the bit for “rear hatch unlock type” works perfectly. You can remove the asterisk. I just rewired my hatch from Jetta style to Golf, and the two-way solenoid didn’t work properly until I flipped that bit.
Awesome!! Should be updated now.

lagwagon

TDI
'13 JSW
Firstly, this is amazing and I'm so happy that you've undertaken this project!

I've a couple Beetle clusters that are not yet identified, and more than happy to poke at them

1C0920803T M73 V01 (2008 NB) - This one seems to make it using 14336 2048 before hitting the (expected?) NotImplementedException

1C0920801L (2009 NB) - Next up to test

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
It dumps the EEPROM from the ECU, which contains the SKC (if IMMO 3), immobilizer status, and vehicle mileage, among other things. MPPS is not able to dump the EEPROM.
Now if only we could pull and rewrite EDC16 EEPROMS (or even rewrite EDC15 EEPROMS, where the immo has been deleted). I've been using another program to delete the immo off EDC15 ECUs, but it'd be nice to do it on the EDC16 as well!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Any suggestions on how to dump the EEPROM from my CCM? I'm not sure the size of it (unlike my cluster), and I'm hoping to be able to write it back if possible.

merlinsvq

TDI
golf iv 1.9 tdi 3 doors
Good afternoon, I'm from Spain. I have a 1.9 tdi golf bought in Germany, it is from 2003 and the ECU is 1C0 959 799 E. I would like to be able to activate the volumetrics that I have installed (I did not bring them from the factory). Any help will be welcome. Thank you very much

Buenas tardes, soy de España. Tengo un golf 1.9 tdi comprado en Alemania, es del 2003 y la ECU es 1C0 959 799 E. Me gustaría poder activar las volumétricas que tengo instaladas (no las traje de fábrica). Cualquier ayuda será bienvenida. Muchísimas gracias

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Our Spanish is probably worse than your English, but can you explain "volumetrics" (volumétrica)?
(We do not use that word commonly for car functions)

merlinsvq

TDI
golf iv 1.9 tdi 3 doors
ok are the sensors that detect movement inside the cabin. Thank you very much for your quick reply

merlinsvq

TDI
golf iv 1.9 tdi 3 doors
good afternoon, I'm crazy happy, I think I managed to read something from the memory of golf iv 1.9 tdi. I have a doubt, how can I put here the data that I have obtained in the reading and the log that the executable provides? I have tried versions, the one that has worked for me is 0.65.
Very grateful to gmenounos. I think I'll be able to activate the motion detectors inside the cabin

Version 0.65-beta (https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases)
Args: com6 10400 17 DumpRB8Eeprom 66560 1024
OSVersion: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
.NET Version: 5.0.8
Culture: es-ES
Opening serial port com6
Sending wakeup message
Reading sync byte
Keyword Lsb $6B
Keyword Msb $8F
Protocol is KW 2027 (8N1)
Sent: 82 17 F1 1A 94 38 (readEcuIdentification)
Received: 94 F1 17 5A 94 5F 56 57 33 34 30 5F 4D 4A 30 32 20 56 30 37 2E 31 33 F4 (readEcuIdentification ACK)
_VW340_MJ02 V07.13

This is the cable I used:

Last edited:

locarno

TDI
1.6 16V
Hello
It is possible to activate remote windows on 1C0959799E ccm? If yes then what bytes I need to change?

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Thank you gmenounos for making such an awesome tool.

I have a 2001 Audi TT and saw a few other owners in this thread as well. I have a RT Key II USB cable and downloaded the newest kw software, version 0.74 I believe, and I cannot pull the skc from my cluster using either of the two recommended commands. I do see that with the original or the junkyard cluster also from a 2001 the txt file does come back with the correct coding and workshop numbers unique to them so I guess I do have a connection. The errors that come up say something like the support or feature does not exist. I am hoping for any advice or news on getting this or a different method to pull the skc from Audi clusters. Thanks

Z@gor

TDI
ex GTD 5
If you don't want to complicate your life too much, you can also use a k + can commander 1.4 China cable

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I have a 2001 Audi TT and saw a few other owners in this thread as well. I have a RT Key II USB cable and downloaded the newest kw software, version 0.74 I believe, and I cannot pull the skc from my cluster using either of the two recommended commands. I do see that with the original or the junkyard cluster also from a 2001 the txt file does come back with the correct coding and workshop numbers unique to them so I guess I do have a connection. The errors that come up say something like the support or feature does not exist. I am hoping for any advice or news on getting this or a different method to pull the skc from Audi clusters. Thanks
For Magneti Marelli clusters (Beetle and TT), you'll need to temporarily use version 0.71. The newer versions contain the bug that you ran into. Hopefully I'll have some time to fix that soon.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Wow thanks for the help, 0.71 came up with a .bin file.
So I honestly don't know what to do with this file. Right clicking the bin file and Open With the kw1281test program it opens a black window and then it promptly closes. Opening it with a txt editor comes up with a few recognizable characters such as the vin but mostly some weird characters.

Last edited:

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
Wow thanks for the help, 0.71 came up with a .bin file.
So I honestly don't know what to do with this file. Right clicking the bin file and Open With the kw1281test program it opens a black window and then it promptly closes. Opening it with a txt editor comes up with a few recognizable characters such as the vin but mostly some weird characters.
try to edit it with a binary editor, such as HxD on windows

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
would this work on a 919 cluster or only can based ones are supported?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
would this work on a 919 cluster or only can based ones are supported?
I'm not sure. I don't think I have any 919 clusters to test it on so you may have to try it yourself. I think in the US, the 919 clusters don't have an immobilizer, so kw1281test isn't very useful on those.

Bivoj

TDI
Octavia 1 1.9TDI L&K
@gmenounos Thanks you very much, you are so good! Today i was tested your program with my blue kkl usb cable on my old comfort 799AH and all work fine! Greetings from Czechia :)

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
I'm not sure. I don't think I have any 919 clusters to test it on so you may have to try it yourself. I think in the US, the 919 clusters don't have an immobilizer, so kw1281test isn't very useful on those.
I will test and report back then. I have germany market car and I'm pretty sure it has the immobilizer in the cluster itself.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
Nice! Thanks for holding my hand through the process, I got the used cluster working.
The Ross Tech instructions for replacing the cluster are not very descriptive but they are correct; it merely says to change the adaptation values to the ones on the old cluster. So go to Instruments, Login using the new cluster skc, Adaptation, Immobilizer, then type in the new skc and save it, cycle the key and you're done.

Now I need to look for other fun things to change using the kw1281test. This other thread is linked early in this thread as a source, but is there a compiled list or something somewhere of the changeable things?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't remember if/where this might have been mentioned in this thread, but on a IMMO3 VDO cluster, do we know which bytes contain the speed scale?
(i want to transfer overlays from one cluster to another)

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I can't remember if/where this might have been mentioned in this thread, but on a IMMO3 VDO cluster, do we know which bytes contain the speed scale?
(i want to transfer overlays from one cluster to another)
I can probably dig up that info but some of the scales are checksum protected so if you try to modify them and don't include the checksum, the cluster will complain in some way. The safest way would be to use DashDumpEdit. There's a download link here:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/free-vds-pro-vagtacho-alternative.509151/post-5634442

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm actually fairly decent with a computer, going back to the late-90s and building my own PCs and whatnot, but damn - at least a dozen attempts with DDE over the years, and I've yet to successfully export a file. 🤷‍♂️

Lucky 13 coming up.... :D