NOT a TDI!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One of my Dad's best friends (both now gone) and his son (friend of mine now) had Plus 4s. My Dad's friend actually drove his from LA to MA and back one summer. That must have been a long, loud, trip. I remember as a child him giving me a ride in it and I was terrified. And we had weird cars when I was little (Morris Minor, original Mini, MG 1100 AH Sprite).

What year? What engine?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
One of my Dad's best friends (both now gone) and his son (friend of mine now) had Plus 4s. My Dad's friend actually drove his from LA to MA and back one summer. That must have been a long, loud, trip. I remember as a child him giving me a ride in it and I was terrified. And we had weird cars when I was little (Morris Minor, original Mini, MG 1100 AH Sprite).

What year? What engine?
1964, 4/4, 1600 Ford Kent, Cosworth head, dual Webers, 5 speed...

Engine.jpeg

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I like the air filters. And I remember that Lucas voltage regulater (I think that's what it is). I learned to drive in a '65 Sprite and it had one just like it.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I like the air filters. And I remember that Lucas voltage regulater (I think that's what it is). I learned to drive in a '65 Sprite and it had one just like it.
Ha! I'll be getting some sort of filtration for it, but there's not a lot of room in there when the "bonnet" is closed.
Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
A: Because they have Lucas refrigerators...

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Ford used those Kent motors is so many cars, I had one in my Pinto (no comment, we bought it used, did have to get the gas tank recall fixed), in my original Ford Fiesta (try getting parts for that car, Ford dealer said it was not a Ford, and the Import FLAPS said it was a domestic Ford), along with Formula Fords, Ford Cortina's, etc.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Very cool. Be careful out there! My cousin drives a first gen Miata in Texas and the car is so low relative to the behemoth pickups and SUVs that she has to be super vigilant about blind spots. She's almost been merged on top of several times. Finding her car in parking lots down there is like Where's Waldo.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Very nice, what is that behind the couple in the first pic? Someone’s daily driver? 63 on the door.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Very nice, what is that behind the couple in the first pic? Someone’s daily driver? 63 on the door.
Not sure. I didn't ask, but the owner of the dealership was a real character, in a good way. He has a McLaren MP4 with a wrap and the same number, so my guess is that it's just one of his toys, of which he has many...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
So it's as fast as a CIS-e 16v swapped rabbit from the 90's. Plenum to velocity stacks with injector bungs, 3071-WG. Trigger wheel on crank. Motec. 250-300whp is right where that weight gets fun.
I doubt that any of that gear would fit. Anyway, I'm very happy with it just as it is, thanks...

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I doubt that any of that gear would fit. Anyway, I'm very happy with it just as it is, thanks...
Absolutely. I had a lifted and locked Jeep Cherokee years ago. Thing was a GOAT. But over time things start to get loose, death wobble, windshield not staying in place. Sometimes stock or close to stock is just fine. Sure do miss that rig and if I ever get another one it'll stay stock (well, maybe 1" lift).

James

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Absolutely. I had a lifted and locked Jeep Cherokee years ago. Thing was a GOAT. But over time things start to get loose, death wobble, windshield not staying in place. Sometimes stock or close to stock is just fine. Sure do miss that rig and if I ever get another one it'll stay stock (well, maybe 1" lift).

James
This car is anything but stock. The original motor had ~80 HP. This Ford has high compression pistons, the Cosworth crossflow head, a performance camshaft, and those twin Webers. In addition, it has the upgraded Morgan "competition" suspension. Adjustable springs/shocks front and rear, and the rear is a multi-link set up instead of the original leaf springs. It is a true blast to drive...

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Very cool. Be careful out there! My cousin drives a first gen Miata in Texas and the car is so low relative to the behemoth pickups and SUVs that she has to be super vigilant about blind spots. She's almost been merged on top of several times. Finding her car in parking lots down there is like Where's Waldo.
This will not be a daily driver like your cousin's Miata, so finding it in a parking lot shouldn't ever be an issue...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Ok ok. How about a 28R, 30lb injectors, side exhaust exhaust and rotational idle with real anti lag?

I've always wanted to do one of these with a modern touch or five.

This and or a bugeye sprite. Both ideally..... 🤔
Then you should get one and build how you like. OP sounds happy with the car as is. It's really not built for crazy power anyhow, and you'd spoil the original character. Personally, I think that sort of build would be better suited to a Cobra kit car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I love the tonneau cover. I learned to drive in an AH Sprite and used to drive it to high school in damp weather with the tonneau cover on, driver's side unzipped. If I ran the heat it kept most of me warm. That was fun.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I love the tonneau cover. I learned to drive in an AH Sprite and used to drive it to high school in damp weather with the tonneau cover on, driver's side unzipped. If I ran the heat it kept most of me warm. That was fun.
I'll have to drive this the next time I come up for TDI parts...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Then you should get one and build how you like. OP sounds happy with the car as is. It's really not built for crazy power anyhow, and you'd spoil the original character. Personally, I think that sort of build would be better suited to a Cobra kit car.
Some Morgan folks have installed the 2L Ford Zetek SVT motor with ~200 HP. That would be scary in an 1800 lb. car...

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
nice ride :)
dig that engine compartment!

do you know why brits like warm beer?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What is it with these pedestrian Ford engines in decent looking Euro cars any way?
says the moron with a 1969 Saab Sonett, Ford 1500 V4, Holley licensed Weber DFV carb,....