wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta sportwagen Comfortline

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
im due to replace my pads and rotors as they near end of life, im looking at a few different options

has anyone tried any of these kits/brands?
those are a race oriented pad and need heat to grab. not that great on the street. i go with detroit axle rotors and pads from vw. Remember to flush brake fluid and only use dot 4.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
power stop would be the best bet, but will produce more dust. what are your braking requirements?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
OEM will stop the car as fast as the ABS allows and shouldn't squeal at all. The performance brakes are really for repeated heavy braking like you'd encounter in track usage. I can't imagine you drive like that on the street, even with a lead foot.

That said, the last brakes I bought were Fremax rotors and pads from IDparts, and the quality seems to be right up there with OEM.

Last edited:

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
the powerstop ones need heat to work properly as well? the stoptech kit is 600 usd and the powerstop is 500 cad. ill have to see if i can find the stoptech kit cheaper in canada then.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can get a full Zimmerman kit delivered for like $220. Seems much more sensible if you don't plan to track the car.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
BENDIX MKD1017
by far my favorit line of daily pads that can handel towing and some decent shenanigans

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Zimmerman and Akebono are my go to combo. Whatever you do, MAKE SURE you confirm your rotor size (easiest way I have find is calling dealership parts counter with VIN and they'll tell you) before ordering. VW got real messy with the rotor sizes across the MK6 vehicles and planning a day to do brakes and realizing you have wrong size really sucks.

Should be about $300 for rotors and pads all the way around, delivered from IDParts.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
the powerstop ones need heat to work properly as well? the stoptech kit is 600 usd and the powerstop is 500 cad. ill have to see if i can find the stoptech kit cheaper in canada then.
the power stop kit showed 400... anyway. blank rotors from detroit axle are like 150 for all 4. ill have to recheck my order. then get the pads from vw. and your good for another 100k my last set lasted 80k. thats with lots of shenanigans, towing, and carrying 500+ pounds in the car.
the mk6 jsw tdi will have 312mm fronts and 272mm rear.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
+100 for IDParts!!

Shipping is fair & fast to Canada and, you know the parts you get are the right ones.

$225.95 - Fronts w/Zimmermann rotors and Halten pads.
$104.95 - Rear w/Zimmermann rotors and Halten pads.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Also, north of the border there. There's max advanced brakes. I'm running their high end pads. They have good rotors too

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
imo quality rotors do the same job as cheap ones as long as the cheap ones are true. im not talking cheap cheap... but it is nice to have nice things for sure. rotors on any sort of aggressive pads always get changed with the pads... that being said... $400 for a full set is a nice price to pay regardless.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
imo quality rotors do the same job as cheap ones as long as the cheap ones are true. im not talking cheap cheap... but it is nice to have nice things for sure. rotors on any sort of aggressive pads always get changed with the pads... that being said... $400 for a full set is a nice price to pay regardless.
That's why I went Detroit brakes. Second set I've had. I initially got the drilled and slotted... But after 2 years and 80k. The rust in the groves and holes started causing odd issues in the rear. No cracks in front or rear. Still had 40% pad left too. So I got blanks. Detroit are pretty cheap, and really good quality.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, north of the border there. There's max advanced brakes. I'm running their high end pads. They have good rotors too
i looked into max brakes and heard mixed reviews.

this from IDparts is good?

Front Brake Set (Sportwagen & Cup Edition 312mm)
- Brake Pads: Akebono (+$20.00)
- Rotor Option: Zimmermann
- New Rotor Screws: Yes (+$2.00)

Rear Brake Set 272mm (Mk6)(NMS)
- Brake Pads: Akebono (+$13.00)
- Rotor Option: Zimmermann (+$10.00)
- New Rotor Screws (+$2.00)

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think you'd be disappointed with that kit. The standard Fremax rotors are high quality too.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
i looked into max brakes and heard mixed reviews.

this from IDparts is good?

Front Brake Set (Sportwagen & Cup Edition 312mm)
- Brake Pads: Akebono (+$20.00)
- Rotor Option: Zimmermann
- New Rotor Screws: Yes (+$2.00)

Rear Brake Set 272mm (Mk6)(NMS)
- Brake Pads: Akebono (+$13.00)
- Rotor Option: Zimmermann (+$10.00)
- New Rotor Screws (+$2.00)
Yup, that's exactly the setup/parts I was referring to above. Can't go wrong, get a Liter of brake fluid and flush the whole sytem while you're at it. :cool: 👍🏾

dutchy

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I run Power Stop z23 pads with Stop Tech standard rotors, and I can safely say that I have a lot of confidence in my brakes. I mean, German brakes already grab, but these *grab*.

Last edited:

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
are there any discount codes for ID parts? my local parts store is only about 20-30$ more to buy the same parts locally vs having this all shipped from the US.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
I run Power Stop z23 pads with Stop Tech standard rotors, and I can safely say that I have a lot of confidence in my brakes. I mean, German brakes already grab, but these *grab*.
ive heard the powerstop rotors and pads start squealing after a while. do yours make any noise as well?

dutchy

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
ive heard the powerstop rotors and pads start squealing after a while. do yours make any noise as well?
Not at all. I've had them for a couple years and haven't noticed any noise. Maybe the cheaper ones make noise?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Only of you don't beat them up a bit every few days.
I've ran dozens of various performance setups and they ALL get noisy if you just daily on them. put some heat into them till they start to fade out a bit... drive till they cool down... not a bed in, just heat them up.

wolf1389

Veteran Member
TDI
i think im gonna go with zimmerman and akebono. i just found zimmermann rotors from a canadian online store that was half the price ( on sale) compared to idparts or the local store near my workplace. it will cost me around 530$CAD to get all 4 done and 2L of brake fluid for a full flush. ill be doing the work myself in my driveway and a friend is helping me do the brake bleed.