Sourcing axles for manual swap

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
The axles I got with my swap kit from Frans 4 years ago are remans. Raxles doesn’t have any available. Options are junk yard, dealer or big box Chinese stuff. What are you guys doing? My inner is clicking pretty bad on the drivers side...

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
The axles I got with my swap kit from Frans 4 years ago are remans. Raxles doesn’t have any available. Options are junk yard, dealer or big box Chinese stuff. What are you guys doing? My inner is clicking pretty bad on the drivers side...
Scratch the dealer, no longer available according the one I called.
Part # 8d0407463px ( pass )
# 8d0407451qx ( drvr )

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
I need to replace mine as well, when I bought the car, it came with "Import Direct", need to install them. I am pretty sure they are chinesesium and don't expect much life out of them.

If OE, Could you just rebuild them yourself?

Sorry I cannot be more help

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Mine where China takes offs mounted to a 99v6 Passat I parted for my 5 speed conversion. That was in 2019.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
Have you tried contacting Frans to see if he can get you new or used OE inner replacements? Only inner CV joint replacements I can find are made by Dansk. Not sure of country of origin or quality but I don’t think they are OE as GKN makes the OE outer CV joint.

I need to replace mine as well, when I bought the car, it came with "Import Direct", need to install them. I am pretty sure they are chinesesium and don't expect much life out of them.

If OE, Could you just rebuild them yourself?

Sorry I cannot be more help
If you have solid axles your best bet is to buy used ones from a junkyard or off eBay and rebuild them. The geniune shafts are hollow and any aftermarket are solid.

I had a similar problem and after digging and digging. VW doesn’t sell the axles anymore. Any aftermarket one sold by any parts store are solid chinese axles with reman ends. If I am correct the inner cv joint and shaft was one part number and the outer cv joint Was another. When I get home from work I’ll check the part numbers out

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
@Yetii roger that, and to confirm, I am looking for 1.8t axles. Do I have to find specifically Passat ones due to the longitudinal orientation? I assume so.

I have no problem rebuilding axles, did it on my ALH's. Thanks for the heads up. And appreciate the part numbers!!

My symptoms are vibrations at idle, no change with clutch in/out. and I get clicking when trans is up to temp, worse in 3/5 than 2/4, and must be accelerating.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
@Yetii roger that, and to confirm, I am looking for 1.8t axles. Do I have to find specifically Passat ones due to the longitudinal orientation? I assume so.

I have no problem rebuilding axles, did it on my ALH's. Thanks for the heads up. And appreciate the part numbers!!

My symptoms are vibrations at idle, no change with clutch in/out. and I get clicking when trans is up to temp, worse in 3/5 than 2/4, and must be accelerating.
Sorry for late reply. I honestly forgot until you tagged me.
Yes 1.8t *MANUAL* axles will work. I think only Passat specific
Left (passenger side): 8D0407271BB
Right (driver side): 8D0407272BB

Part number for inner CV joint kit is 3B0498103BX
Outer: 3B0498099E

Make sure to replace the 12x inner cv joint bolts (VAG-N90441103) and use blue loctite. Also replace the 2x axle bolt (VAG-4B0407643A) too using blue loctite. Both bolts are single time use bolts. Everyone will tell you they are ok to reuse or have reuse them but Volkswagen says they are one time use for a reason and they are cheap so might as well replace them. Better safe than sorry. If you buy the GKN (OE) outer cv joint kit it comes with the axle bolt. I buy my stuff through FCP. Cant beat the lifetime warranty.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Just throwing this out there so everybody knows because I didn’t....aftermarket axles can’t be rebuilt with VW parts. Raxles told me the splines on the end and the flange are the only things that are the same as OEM. The joints under the boots are different and not available.

I may get some of the Chinese crap to keep the car going until I find some OEM ones.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
@Yetii You saved me lots of time!!! I owe you one, thanks so much!!!

@CBM thanks for the warning!!

I have my last night shift tonight then off for two weeks. Have to get a roof "rain-proofed" before the weekend's storm and then will be dropping the axles.

On a side note, they magg'd our gravel frontage road, so my vehicles are planted until that CRAP soaks in and hardens.