Rare Find! Pristine B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most 'mechanics' know very little about the BHW.

This is what awaits in the bowels:

And another:

And yet another:

I could go on.... I've done a few:

While I would agree the low mileage is not as dire, I've seen plenty blow to pieces around 80k. And you are more than halfway there when the timing belt is done, although sourcing upgrade parts now may not be as easy as it once was.

Personally, I'd sell it as is, full disclosure, discount the price accordingly, and let the new buyer deal with it. The upgrade used to be around $3k, FWIW. We charged 8 hr labor, the rest was parts. The module alone was $1300.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Most 'mechanics' know very little about the BHW.

This is what awaits in the bowels:

And another:

And yet another:

I could go on.... I've done a few:

While I would agree the low mileage is not as dire, I've seen plenty blow to pieces around 80k. And you are more than halfway there when the timing belt is done, although sourcing upgrade parts now may not be as easy as it once was.

Personally, I'd sell it as is, full disclosure, discount the price accordingly, and let the new buyer deal with it. The upgrade used to be around $3k, FWIW. We charged 8 hr labor, the rest was parts. The module alone was $1300.
... Or you can do the delete, and parts will run you about $400.

I went that route. Even have a geared bsm on the shelf and cant be bothered to install it.

Agreed to leave it be and let the new owner deal with it. At that mileage, the bsm is not a huge risk, but will becpme one as the car ages. If you weren't in the wrong country, id seriouly consider it.
I'd likely even leave the GMR in it and keep up on the oil changes so that it could last a good long while...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yeah, the mechanics that say that it's not an issue are ones that don't know the BHW. Yeah, some make it to more miles, but it's literally a ticking time bomb.

ives

TDI
Sold: 2004 Passat GLS TDI Auto Wagon // Sold: 2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd
Yeah, the mechanics that say that it's not an issue are ones that don't know the BHW. Yeah, some make it to more miles, but it's literally a ticking time bomb.
I'm not sure what y'all want from me. I've called like 15 places in two states. Most of them are reputable TDI specific shops listed on this website. No one will do it. I think $16,500 obo is a very fair price with a full new belt/pullley/tensioner/water pump/filters/fluids/tires with ultra low miles in perrfect cosemetic shape, that's been stored in a heated garage it's whole life.

If someone thinks it shoudl be cheaper, I'm open to reasonable offers. Hence the OBO.

If i could do the balance shaft job, I would. And while it may be in an issue later, it's not now, so there's no danger in driving it... not for a decently long while.

oilhammer

TDI
The deleted ones vibrate too much in gear for me. I like my balls tickled another way.

Last one I did, it took a couple weeks to get the parts, they were red ordered from Germany, but I was able to get them. That was right before Covidpalooza started, though.

I have a whole upgraded BHW sitting in storage, just in case.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The deleted ones vibrate too much in gear for me. I like my balls tickled another way.

Last one I did, it took a couple weeks to get the parts, they were red ordered from Germany, but I was able to get them. That was right before Covidpalooza started, though.

I have a whole upgraded BHW sitting in storage, just in case.
I've got both deleted and converted ones. Oilhammer, you did the conversion on my converted ones, though it was before I got them.
I don't notice a lot of difference between them in vibrations, though the one I'm driving right now that had the conversion done does need engine mounts, which are now here...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Fair on the vibrations in gear - I would still delete and shift to neutral at a stop.

Or, best case, convert it to a manual.

oilhammer

TDI
I want to convert mine to a manual, but so far the ZF slushboxes are still working fine dag, nabbit.

ives

TDI
Maybe since everyone is giving me a hard time for even owning one let alone trying to sell it... what should i sell it for?

Given it's likely the most pristine b5.5 tdi wagon in the country with ultra low miles and always heated garage kept with zero blemishes or current issues...

I need a truck for work. I need to sell this. And i'm getting tired of people telling me how much they think the car will explode.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Maybe since everyone is giving me a hard time for even owning one let alone trying to sell it... what should i sell it for?

Given it's likely the most pristine b5.5 tdi wagon in the country with ultra low miles and always heated garage kept with zero blemishes or current issues...

I need a truck for work. I need to sell this. And i'm getting tired of people telling me how much they think the car will explode.
From a canadian perspective, the car is rare, and a known quantity to those who know the cars.

For those in the know, they'll need to invest at least$2k to make the car a good long term investment if doing their own work. Closer to 3.5k if paying labour. That doesn't take away from its intrinsic value.

If you were up here in canuckistan, I would seriously consider the car, and prolly make you an offer at 80% of your ask hoping we could meet somewhere in the middle. That cones from someone who has owned a B5.5 for the last 8years and 300k km.

Dont let the naysayers knock you down. You have a rare find, which, when the issues are sorted will give years of trouble free service with very good fuel economy for that size of car.

Just advertise it everywhere. Disclose the timing belt and BSM (but dont harp on them). Play up the plusses (low miles, pre dpf, very good fuel econ) and let the market do its magic.

ives

TDI
From a canadian perspective, the car is rare, and a known quantity to those who know the cars.

For those in the know, they'll need to invest at least$2k to make the car a good long term investment if doing their own work. Closer to 3.5k if paying labour. That doesn't take away from its intrinsic value.

If you were up here in canuckistan, I would seriously consider the car, and prolly make you an offer at 80% of your ask hoping we could meet somewhere in the middle. That cones from someone who has owned a B5.5 for the last 8years and 300k km.

Dont let the naysayers knock you down. You have a rare find, which, when the issues are sorted will give years of trouble free service with very good fuel economy for that size of car.

Just advertise it everywhere. Disclose the timing belt and BSM (but dont harp on them). Play up the plusses (low miles, pre dpf, very good fuel econ) and let the market do its magic.
I'll sell it to you right now for $13k including the timing belt job being done. That'll leave you $$ for shipping.

ives

TDI
Update:

Current cash offer: $12,500
Current Cash offers in the works: $13,500 & $14,000
Current Cash + Trade offer equal to: $15,000

If nothing finalizes by Tuesday, I'll probably get the TB job done and then my minimum price will be $13,500.