Tdi high idle switch.

mantree

TDI
03 jetta
I'm looking to swap the alh from my jetta into a toyota pickup and have been reading up on the electrical side which I get, but I am now wondering if anybody has done a high idle switch so that I can idle up for winchi g or running air or pto. I am thinking that a switch that spoofs the peddle would be the simplest but I'm not sure what the other options would be.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I believe you could do it in the tune somehow. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe idle speed for when AC is on can be set to be different. So, one option be to do that, and so when you want high idle, just turn AC on low. There Might be a different idle speed for when the brake is on so you could have a prop handy to keep brake on, would be easier than rigging accelerator

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
learn up on what a pedal wedge is... makes it very easy to hold the pedal where you want and with the tiniest tap or if you roll over it lets off.
tons of off roaders do this.
honestly many have tried and most solutions are dangerous. If you do an electrical version thats fine.... a rheostat wired into the the pedals wiring... not sure what wires... would work fine but make sure you have a neutral safty switch installed so its only in neutral. You can also use the brake defueling safty switch built in to cancel it (neutral and brake switch as 2 3 way switches.)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If you're concerned the idle will drop because of a load, it won't. ECU will keep it steady. The only load will be the alternator, is there a PTO setup for your Toyota?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
My 67 fj40 had a dealer option rhino pto winch. No roll over cut off. Just a pull and twist to lock lever cable ran to the carb to increase rpms. I kept it when I did the SBC swap and then later when I put in the 4bd2t diesel. I'd occasionally use it as cruise control. I used a twist and lock cable from rotary, commonly used in small walk behind trenchers or other outdoor power equipment used in construction.

Similar could be done using the fire wall as an anchor point, pulling your pedal forward. Just have to make it so the cable won't interfere with pedal movement when free under normal driving.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Well as jmodge correctly pointed out, the ecu will compensate, so it's likely it's not even necessary at all

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
A pto will need rpms beyond maintaining 900 or so idle rpms for many of it's implements to work correctly.

Even letting your winch cable back in neatly after use would be a long daunting task without the ability to increase rpms.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You could get away from this porblem by going to al electrical motor for the PTO and having a 400 amp alternator and 2 high capacity batteries installed. forget the idle issue all together. would also be more efficient.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Interesting....

I think Malone has some sort of tune to bump engine RPM's up BUT I don't think it is switchable on demand from low idle to high idle ... I think it's just an increase in general ....may want to double check that tho.

Another possibility is to buy a plunger type solenoid (like on old carb cars or even the shut off solenoid on some Cummins engines I think) and make a mounting bracket so that when activated the plunger pops out and can push on the accelerator pedal linkage (do it under the dash so it is out of the way).... Instant high idle at the flick of a switch and not worrying about some fancy programming that may or may not be available.

On the other hand, a crude approach that I use once in a blue moon when I want to increase engine RPM (like jump starting another vehicle If I'm by myself ), is to lean something heavy on the accelerator pedal to press on ot slighty or I extended out my folding umbrella and use the seat as the back stop and propped the top of the umbrella up on the accelerator pedal (may need more "stuff" to wedge inbetween your umbrella is not long enough and the seat is as far forward as possible ... adjust engine speed by adding stuff in between the umbrella and the accelerator or slide seat forward and back to vary the pressure on the accelerator pedal.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

mantree

TDI
03 jetta
If you're concerned the idle will drop because of a load, it won't. ECU will keep it steady. The only load will be the alternator, is there a PTO setup for your Toyota?
It's more of I want to be able to increase idle to run a york or to keep power output up for winching. I plan on swaping a fj80 transfer case to go with the landcruser axles. I plan to run a pto driven welder or run a welder off the accessory drive.

mantree

TDI
03 jetta
My 67 fj40 had a dealer option rhino pto winch. No roll over cut off. Just a pull and twist to lock lever cable ran to the carb to increase rpms. I kept it when I did the SBC swap and then later when I put in the 4bd2t diesel. I'd occasionally use it as cruise control. I used a twist and lock cable from rotary, commonly used in small walk behind trenchers or other outdoor power equipment used in construction.

Similar could be done using the fire wall as an anchor point, pulling your pedal forward. Just have to make it so the cable won't interfere with pedal movement when free under normal driving.
Back in the days of cable throttle I would disconnect my cruse control and put a bike shifter on the gear knob which also let me idel up for winching and air but also for tricky starts on hills without 3 feet.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm sorry but I dont get how wintching anything demands higher rpms. The alternator will give out full amps at idle or 5,000 rpms and all in between. It cares not and like we all said.... the ECU will figure that out.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sorry but I dont get how wintching anything demands higher rpms. The alternator will give out full amps at idle or 5,000 rpms and all in between. It cares not and like we all said.... the ECU will figure that out.
A pto winch needs rpms when you're good and stuck or you'll stall the motor. Or if your buddy is good and stuck. And as stated before, guiding it back in neatly after use, it takes forever without more throttle.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Ok so on the ALH with a manual trans if you press the brake and the accelerator the ECU will hold the rpms at 1200 ish, maybe there’s a way to make that work for you?
Also my tuner has my car set up for high idle on startup, for about 4 mins or so, unless it’s already at operating temp, so that may be another possibility.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok so on the ALH with a manual trans if you press the brake and the accelerator the ECU will hold the rpms at 1200 ish, maybe there’s a way to make that work for you?
Also my tuner has my car set up for high idle on startup, for about 4 mins or so, unless it’s already at operating temp, so that may be another possibility.
the AHU does this too but i think its only for a few seconds.
i mean you could always just have a 2nd fuel jet to fog in some diesel manually LOL
seriously look into pedal wedges.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
the AHU does this too but i think its only for a few seconds.
i mean you could always just have a 2nd fuel jet to fog in some diesel manually LOL
seriously look into pedal wedges.
His first post said ALH, unless that was a typo, I guess his sig says ahu.

Google search for pedal wedges didn’t find much, but I did find this.
Is this what you are referring to?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
His first post said ALH, unless that was a typo, I guess his sig says ahu.

Google search for pedal wedges didn’t find much, but I did find this.
Is this what you are referring to?
oh yea not sure why i though this was an ahu... thought i saw it somewhere... no thats not what i was referring too. i dont know what name of the brand or the product exactly i saw it in passing on some over landing reading a while back. basically a extendable stick like those steering wheel locks... holds against the wheel and the floor, then you wedge in the brace that you adjust the pedal with....

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
You might be able to use one of Fast Forward Automotive’s TACH2VSS devices. That ties the vehicle speed sensor to the Tachometer allowing cruise control to work at any RPM and while in neutral.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
And you don't need a factory vss sensor to use fast forwards cruise control. I'm running their universal vss off of my drive shaft flange bolts for both speedo and cruise.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Imo in off roading... I always hear the "never go PTO"
As in it's a bad idea to go PTO for a winch. If the engine stalls and you needed it.... your toast.
An electrical winch is way better in every regard.
But that's my belief and experience with offroad stuff...
Food for though. Sure would make life easy....

mantree

TDI
03 jetta
Imo in off roading... I always hear the "never go PTO"
As in it's a bad idea to go PTO for a winch. If the engine stalls and you needed it.... your toast.
An electrical winch is way better in every regard.
But that's my belief and experience with offroad stuff...
Food for though. Sure would make life easy....
The pto will actually be for a pto driven welding unit but winch will be electric,air will be a york run off the accessory drive.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PTO powered welding unit.... so a generator connected to a shaft to do electrical welding... WHAT? just run a HO generator off a clutched belt and slap 2 100 AH batteries on there and weld like a pro...
this PTO buisness is getting silly now... first it was a winch... now its a welder.. what next? a PTO refrigerator?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
PTO driven carpet cleaning rig. Sounds like a joke but they exist and are more reliable than the Briggs or Honda twin driven units.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Don’t laugh at PTO driven refrigerators, they are awesome

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
I've seen a high idle pin on my BHW wiring diagrams, but I'm not sure if that's just for high idle for warm up (around 1200rpm), or something faster. I've got an increased cold idle tune with my Malone tune, but once the coolant temp comes up, it's back down to 850-900. I'm also interested in getting a high idle setting for winching.

The biggest reason for higher rpms is cooling, from what I understand. Running alternators at lower speeds isnt good long term due to heat, the faster speeds means more air movement and better cooling, at least for the air cooled versions. I know there is a liquid cooled alternator that is 200A(?) that is available on a few touareg and maybe a Phaeton or W12 motors. I'd love to have one of those, but its pretty far down on the upgrade list.

Maybe I'm a dummy with alternators, but I understood that they also need a certain rpm to be excited and start charging or putting out charge. Which is why a dead battery wont effectively recharge at idle, but needs higher rpms and a load from driving.

I'm happy to get educated though! And I still want a high idle option, not a wedge or plunger system that is weirdly rigged.