Turbo cooling

jahturnah

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDi SE
Has anyone installed the hybrid cr190 from Xmanturbos on their MK7 golf 2.0? How did you run your cooling for it? I’m thinking of tying into the lines that were bridged/bypassed for the egr cooler when I deleted the car but not sure how to go about it. The existing lines for the egr cooler are 3/4 OD but the lines on the new turbo are 3/8 OD. I thought of just reducing down and having it pass straight through but I’m afraid that will bottleneck the cooling system too much. My other thought would be to put two separate tees on either end of the bypass pipe to maintain the 3/4 flow and just have two 3/8 lines going through the turbo but I’m worried that it wouldn’t provide adequate flow being as the tees would only be about 10 inches apart in the system. That was very long winded but if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. This is my first water cooled turbo install.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Get an appropriate tee and splice into the heater core lines. Inlet for the turbo line should be tee'd from the heater core line that comes from the cylinder head, and the turbo return line spliced into the other heater core line that runs back to the front of the motor and into the spaghetti of hard metal lines on the front of the charge cooler.

I'd be more inclined to see how the lines are from the factory on that turbo, is it from a Seat? You could be able to dive into the VAG parts bin and get the exact parts for it vs hacking it all up.

cpinde

TDI
05 VW Passat, 04 Jetta, 06 BRM Jetta, sold 15 Golf current
I did. Went with my first thought and reduced down the existing lines for the egr. Haven’t had any issues whatsoever
By chance does the water cooler help warm the car up? Being deleted kills my ability to make heat in the winter. Haha

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I did. Went with my first thought and reduced down the existing lines for the egr. Haven’t had any issues whatsoever
Just my opinion, but the EGR lines on CRUA are your main heater core lines and now you're restricting flow through the heater core as well as the flow coming from the cylinder head. I'm sure the main flow in the head/block cooling jackets are fine, but that's why I tee'd into them vs restricting..didn't want to sacrifice cabin heat in the winter.
On CUAA motor, turbo cooling is done from factory tee off the charge cooler. Not sure if the charge cooler coolant pump runs differently on those, but they have an extra coolant sensor there I'm assuming to keep an extra eye on temps of that circuit.

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
I'd be more inclined to see how the lines are from the factory on that turbo, is it from a Seat? You could be able to dive into the VAG parts bin and get the exact parts for it vs hacking it all up.

#32 and follow it along