2015 Passat sits too low w/ cargo carrier - what to do?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Options to raise the Passat or reinforce the shocks with a cargo carrier of around 150 to 200 lbs fully loaded in the trunk and four people riding:

Something moderate so we do not bottom up so much like we did on our last camping trip.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
airlift helper bags, toss 20lbs in them and you'll be riding level. Adjust the bags down when not carrying that weight.

Is that a drawtight/curt style tow bar? at 200LBs you're over the weight limit due to the forces applied, good luck not bending it over the bumps. 200lb is for a trailer hitch, not 200lbs 3ft from the mounting points.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Two words:

Station. Wagon.

;)

But yeah, the air spring helpers that go inside the coils would probably be the only thing that would allow it to be used for normal driving AND for the overloading, but ideally that is not the best car for your endeavors.

Rooftop carriers will better distribute the load, but you'll have the added wind resistance.

A small utility trailer, like the little clamshell ones, are great though. Car won't notice it back there, tongue weight is negligible, and they are small enough that one person can unhook them and move them about when needed. You can even store them upright on end in the back of a garage.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
airlift helper bags, toss 20lbs in them and you'll be riding level. Adjust the bags down when not carrying that weight.

Is that a drawtight/curt style tow bar? at 200LBs you're over the weight limit due to the forces applied, good luck not bending it over the bumps. 200lb is for a trailer hitch, not 200lbs 3ft from the mounting points.
Thank you 740GLE for your feedback. I will research the airlift helper bags. Have you used them personally?

The Curt hitch I have has a tongue weight limit of 200 lbs. (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Passat/2015/C11234.html?VehicleID=201519521). I estimate our loads will be more around 150 lbs or so.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Two words:

Station. Wagon.

;)

But yeah, the air spring helpers that go inside the coils would probably be the only thing that would allow it to be used for normal driving AND for the overloading, but ideally that is not the best car for your endeavors.

Rooftop carriers will better distribute the load, but you'll have the added wind resistance.

A small utility trailer, like the little clamshell ones, are great though. Car won't notice it back there, tongue weight is negligible, and they are small enough that one person can unhook them and move them about when needed. You can even store them upright on end in the back of a garage.
Yes, we will eventually research those too.

So Brian, if I would upgrade also my shocks/struts at the same type to install the air spring helpers, what would you recommend? Right now IDParts has a sale on Koni, but it I am open to other brands too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
So the forces are the same if 150lbs is 30 feet from the mounting points?
Indeed not.

Based on the link I provided above(trailer.com), wouldn't 150 lbs be safe enough for the type of hitch and cargo carrier I have in the photo in my first post? The actual cargo carrier is of aluminum.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That depends on what the neck of the carrier is made of. I have a bike carrier that has a steel neck for my JSW. It will hold two bikes and can be expanded to four. However, they don't recommend putting four bikes on it if I'm still using the 1.25" neck.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
To answer the original question: upgrade to rear Tiguan lift springs.

oilhammer

TDI
Seems like all that would do is jack the unladed height of the rear axle up, but would not do a lot for actual capacity. The Tiggy is essentially an A5 Golf. Although being a "real" Volkswagen, it probably weighs more than the NMS does.

Granted, if you were ALWAYS loaded down, it would be fine. But methinks something more adjustable would be better all around for the OP. And that is where the little air lift helpers that slip right inside the existing coil springs would come in handy. Route the are nipple up to a convenient easy to access spot in the trunk or even in the fuel door if you want, and any air compressor can adjust it up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Due to upper spring perches on our mk7 wagon i had to route the nipples down then snaked the tubing up and around by the hitch. Sure there is a little bit of tubing loop hanging down, but so far i haven't caught anything on them. The Passat/Mk5 rear suspension maybe different and allow nipples up.

10-20Lbs does wonders for saggy bottom syndrome.

oilhammer

TDI
Looks like a contender, just remember on that one you'll need to unload the suspension, which is a bit of a pain sometimes. I take the lower control arm loose at the carrier assembly on the outside, and lift the car up. Going back together is more tricky.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
That seems like a good system, but I have not used it. If I was in this situation I would want to confirm that with the full load as stated in the first post I am not exceeding the gross vehicle weight limit for the car.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Options to raise the Passat or reinforce the shocks with a cargo carrier of around 150 to 200 lbs fully loaded in the trunk and four people riding:

Something moderate so we do not bottom up so much like we did on our last camping trip.
If I would have known. I just tossed my helper bags I had for my wagen. But yeah. Firestone coilrite. The red ones. Blue ones are thinner.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Agreed. Don't even have to take the springs out (I was able to do it on two Mk7 Sportwagen with the springs still in the car).
Here's a DIY from the Mk6 forum that covers the basics - same idea would apply.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Agreed. Don't even have to take the springs out (I was able to do it on two Mk7 Sportwagen with the springs still in the car).
Here's a DIY from the Mk6 forum that covers the basics - same idea would apply.
It's a pain to get them in without removing the springs. I did it in 2 vehicles. The blue are softer and thinner. Also the quick connector on the blue suck

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
If I would have known. I just tossed my helper bags I had for my wagen. But yeah. Firestone coilrite. The red ones. Blue ones are thinner.
I only found the blue one to fit a 2015 Passat (https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/):

Mine is to be shipped today and I will get it in like a week. If someone feels I need to change something please let me know ASAP. Thank you!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Airlift 1000 60815. My blue ones broke in a few months. The quick connect broke. I think those are even the same size blue I had.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I was able to cancel my order. I will not put one for the Airlift 1000 60815 until I will find a shop willing to do the job with this brand and model on my 2015 Passat.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
So you have a cargo carrier like the one in the first post?
Cargo carrier. Heavy trailer. Yes. Moving a ice house that's has 500lbs tongue around the block. The 1000s are designed better. 2 years and 50k miles easily on them. I have a wagen and would carry 400lbs in the back pretty regularly.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ok, I was able to cancel my order. I will not put one for the Airlift 1000 60815 until I will find a shop willing to do the job with this brand and model on my 2015 Passat.
The difference ff between them is the reds are thicker and very shightly bigger. And they don't have the stupid quick connect. Is the Passat irs? I put mine so the nipple went through the bottom, snaked the line back through the control arms to the center. I may have a picture of it. Lemme look.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello DivineChaos, very appreciative for taking the time to explain and post the picture. So is doable in a wagen, it is most likely doable in a 2015 Passat.

Any strong disagreements in the room?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hello DivineChaos, very appreciative for taking the time to explain and post the picture. So is doable in a wagen, it is most likely doable in a 2015 Passat.

Any strong disagreements in the room?
I'm pretty certain the Passat has independent rear suspension. You can do this even without the triple squares required to remove the sway bar end links. Jack up the car take both tires off. Lower the rear rotors onto wood to take some pressure on the suspension. Undo both upper rear shock mounts. Jack up the rear end should be enough to get the springs out. And then take all the air out of the bags and fit them in through the bottom or the top. Remember the spring orientation though. And as stated as easiest if you point the hose nipple down then you won't have to drill any holes.