MK6 Golf TDI timing belt replacement recommendations in Ottawa area?

Foxfan

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Hi everyone. First post here in a very long time. My 2012 Golf just turned 10 and the Dieselgate extended warranty has run out.

I'm still 30k below the 200,000km threshold for the timing belt replacement, but given the age of the car, I wish to get it out of the way as I'm taking a long trip abroad this summer and don't want it shattering on me. Still plan to keep it another 5-10 years after, having had no issues except the intercooler icing 3-4 times (got the fix and now have a plexiglass fitted on the lower grille in winter).

How much are dealerships charging now for the timing belt replacement? And any independent shops in the Ottawa area you could recommend that can do it for less?

Thanks.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Save yourself the headache and don't go the dealer route. Check out the sticky in this section called "Trusted Mechanics thread" and see what you can find near you. There are a couple of shops if memory serves me right, across in Quebec and around Ottawa.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
For what it's worth when you get it done, have them install the water pump without the variable type water pump. The pump from Febi has no shroud on it and it pumps all the time. If the shroud on the pump fails to work , costly for sure. There was a test done with and without the variable impeller shroud/ cover and warm up time was not much better with the cover.
My next change will go with the Febi pump.
It still uses the solenoid attached to it as the stock one does.
Your choice.
Mine for sure.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
For what it's worth when you get it done, have them install the water pump without the variable type water pump. The pump from Febi has no shroud on it and it pumps all the time. If the shroud on the pump fails to work , costly for sure. There was a test done with and without the variable impeller shroud/ cover and warm up time was not much better with the cover.
My next change will go with the Febi pump.
It still uses the solenoid attached to it as the stock one does.
Your choice.
Mine for sure.
His engine might not have this because I believe VW introduced this on 2015 TDI engines. I might be wrong but others will chime in.