Just purchased! Q7 TDI

Doobie666

TDI
2004 Passat Avant, 2015 Q7 TDI
Hey all just purchased a 2015 q7 tdi with 56k miles for my wife. It is still currently under diesel gate warranty until 2028 or 120k.. eventually I might loose something’s somewhere 🤔🤣

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If by "money from your bank account", then yes, you'll be losing something somewhere eventually for sure. ;)

I jest (maybe). Great color, sharp looking vehicle. Nice to see one that is not some hueless color or some shade of brown/bronze/gold/feces. Does yours have third row seats?

Doobie666

TDI
If by "money from your bank account", then yes, you'll be losing something somewhere eventually for sure. ;)

I jest (maybe). Great color, sharp looking vehicle. Nice to see one that is not some hueless color or some shade of brown/bronze/gold/feces. Does yours have third row seats?
Thank you, It does have third row seating

oilhammer

TDI
Cool... I didn't know if that was standard or not, and someone was recently asking me, because that was going to be the drive to look for a Q7 over a T'reg. They also have a slightly longer wheelbase, which makes for a nicer highway ride.

The new Q7 (which we cannot get with a diesel anyway) is a completely different car-based platform. Arranged like the current A4/A5/A6/A7/A8/Q5/etc. They drive nicer, but certainly are not as capable I wouldn't think for any off roading or towing... not that many Q7 owners did that anyway.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
What surprised me about the Q7: the windshield rake ends up leaving you with with a tighter entry than I was expecting from a heavy, 3 row SUV. It does ride very nice. You are always aware of its heft and I can see why you'd go through brake pads quickly.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Nice looking SUV. I have a coworker that picked up a Q7 early on the resales release. Haven't driven it but rides really nice from the right side. He tows his ski boat with it and says it handles much better than the Acura it replaced.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Cool... I didn't know if that was standard or not, and someone was recently asking me, because that was going to be the drive to look for a Q7 over a T'reg. They also have a slightly longer wheelbase, which makes for a nicer highway ride.
Would be interesting to know if the 4L Q7 was ever offered (in NA) with only 2 rows. I've toyed with the idea of swapping the 2nd row from early V8 model with captains instead of a bench.

Looks like no 3rd row was offered somewhere

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Nice! When I replace my wife's b5.5 Passat wagon, I'd like to get a q7 TDI. I've kinda just been watching and learning the ins and outs as much as I can.

oilhammer

TDI
And if you had a place to properly store them, there is an almost endless supply of good used parts for them aside from the engine and engine-specifc bits, because so many VR6 models blow the chains at 150k miles and get sent to the recycler. Also around the time the catalysts start failing. Even if it is still running, a VR6 T'reg/Q7/Cayenne that needs chains and cats is looking at about triple what they are worth... so lots get junked even before they die. Kinda sad, really.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Nice rig. Also like the color. My wife's is a "hueless" dark grey. :) The blue is nice.

I see you also have a 5sp BHW. Now all you need is a CPNB A7.

OH is not entirely jesting with the "money from your bank account" comment. These guys are not really cheap to maintain. The oil and filter is over $100, and they eat up tires and brakes wholesale. A transmission service is around $250 in oil and filter kit. But it's the only 7place (ok 4+3) SUV I've driven that can blast up the Pennsylvania turnpike at 80 (I mean the speed limit), never downshift, and handle all the curves with a reasonable margin all while getting a few points above 20 mpg. I think you'll like it. We love ours.

I'm pretty sure all NA Q7s are 7-place. If you need the third row then it's a Q7. If you want off highway or towing and don't need the 3rd row the it's a T-reg or Cayenne. The NA Q7 towing capacity is derated because the massive sunroof makes the body a little weaker.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, the tires and brakes can be real money fires if you do lots of city driving. I had a customer who was a real estate agent who bought one of the early T'regs, I think it was a 2005. VR6, had a few options, one step up on the wheel size. She needed something 4WD because she often went to some farm/ranch properties that had some unpaved roads that could be bad, and she always had a lot of stuff (signs, files in containers, etc.) that she lugged around. She drove a lot. Like clockwork, it was $2000 every 20k miles. Absolutely nothing "broke" on it until around 70k when it needed the drive shaft replaced, and at the time the aftermarket GKN/Lobro units were not available, so we had to get it from Volkswagen and they were about $1500. That was starting to vibrate again around 150k, and then it chucked the chains. It had a slight rattle for a bit before that.

So it cost her about $45k to buy it. Cost about $15k to keep it maintained. And it ended up worth about $500 in scrap. Still looked perfect, and other than some minor wear "patina" on some dash buttons and seat and steering wheel, it was otherwise mint. :(

Doobie666

TDI
[
Nice rig. Also like the color. My wife's is a "hueless" dark grey. :) The blue is nice.

I see you also have a 5sp BHW. Now all you need is a CPNB A7.

OH is not entirely jesting with the "money from your bank account" comment. These guys are not really cheap to maintain. The oil and filter is over $100, and they eat up tires and brakes wholesale. A transmission service is around $250 in oil and filter kit. But it's the only 7place (ok 4+3) SUV I've driven that can blast up the Pennsylvania turnpike at 80 (I mean the speed limit), never downshift, and handle all the curves with a reasonable margin all while getting a few points above 20 mpg. I think you'll like it. We love ours.

I'm pretty sure all NA Q7s are 7-place. If you need the third row then it's a Q7. If you want off highway or towing and don't need the 3rd row the it's a T-reg or Cayenne. The NA Q7 towing capacity is derated because the massive sunroof makes the body a little weaker.
Yes I have a b5.5 also.. (but I’m really jealous of my wife’s q7) I would love an a7 I actually work at an Audi dealer.. I know all about brakes and tires.(unfortunately)thinking about lifting it and putting meaty tires on it. I do have warranty on q7 not sure if I mentioned earlier but I think I’m just going to pull the bandaid off and enjoy this beast 😍

Last edited: