EZS transmission in a 2.0 TDI

candrus

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Wagon
I recently purchased a 2005 Passat TDI wagon form a novice mechanic. He claimed that he had replaced a bad transmission with a suitable used transmission but could not get it to function properly. After working to diagnose the problem I discovered he had installed a EZS transmission instead of the GMR that is from the factory. I'd like to change the ECM/TCM programming to run it this way as a interim fix until I can get the parts together to convert to a manual. Does anyone have any experience with this type of programing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chris

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Isn't the ezs the 1.8t trans? Even if you could get it to communicate properly with the BHW ECU that would be the least of your worries. Shed rev too high for the BHW.

candrus

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Wagon
Isn't the ezs the 1.8t trans? Even if you could get it to communicate properly with the BHW ECU that would be the least of your worries. Shed rev too high for the BHW.
Thanks for your response. I’m completely new to this vintage TDI. What did you mean by “shed rev” and what other “worries” should I be expecting?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The 1.8t is a faster spinning engine vs the 4cyl diesel. Depending on the year, the pre mid 2001 4'cyl trans had a smaller trans side CV axle mount flange.

So your top speed without over reving may be 65 to 70mph. Possibly a little less.

If you want to go cheap do the swap using all v6 parts with a manual v6 trans. Then you can at least cruise 75 to 80 before hitting 3000 rpms.

Note: the v6 trans revs about 300 rpms more than a proper tdi trans. The 1.8t revs even higher than that but I don't know how much