2015 Passat: Right front ABS speed sensor + other codes

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Folks:

A few more lights have shown up on the dashboard and yesterday my local mechanic said that, the one he is more sure to remove/replace, is the right front ABS speed sensor (codes 00285-012 and 00285-003):

Here is the right part # WHT003856, correct?

Based on your experience, is this the better approach to replace the ABS sensor and go from there?

If, so how long of a job is approximately?

TIA!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Folks:

A few more lights have shown up on the dashboard and yesterday my local mechanic said that, the one he is more sure to remove/replace, is the right front ABS speed sensor (codes 00285-012 and 00285-003):

Here is the right part # WHT003856, correct?

Based on your experience, is this the better approach to replace the ABS sensor and go from there?

If, so how long of a job is approximately?

TIA!
Long as it comes out easy. Half hour labour

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
hopefully the issue is the sensor, not the wiring.

Good luck

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, thank you. Waiting for the ABS speed sensor to come from IDParts.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the 'happy ending' to this issue turned out a lot more expensive that just installing the ABS speed sensors. When they went to install it the shop realized that the front hub bearing was completely kaput due to salt corrosion!

These are a sample of the pictures the shop took. So it needed two new front bearing hubs and labor to remove and replace them. They did not charge me for the actual ABS speed sensor remove and replace.

So far all the lights/codes are gone (y)

Obviously when I bought this car I realized I am with it for the long run. So this is an example.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I never thought rust can be subjective To me (Michigan), that is nothing, just needs a little wire brushing that's all. Glad you got it sorted out