Show what you tow!

GreenGoop

TDI
15 VW Golf 6 spd MT
Hi all. I have a 15 VW Golf TDI 6spd MT.

I commited to buying a utility trailer that serves as a primitive RV called Taxa Woolly Bear. It is 1270lbs empty and 140lbs tongue empty. You can see pictures, specs and diagrams here: https://taxaoutdoors.com/habitats/woolly-bear/

Loaded it will be 2000lbs and 250-300 tongue weight.

My hitch is a EcoHitch rated for 2000lbs and and 300 tongue.

I am in the US where the VW is "not recommended for towing" and am getting pushback from every angle - online, uhaul (who I asked to install my brake controller and 7 way pin), even the trailer manufacturer themselves.

My biggest concern is the tongue weight. I will be lugging this around US forest roads for an entire year, doing a tour of forests and sleeping there.

I'm not afraid of the 2000lbs tow weight as much as the tongue weight since even in EU the Golf is only rated for 165lbs tongue weight (but a whopping 3600lbs tow weight).

Based on posts here and elsewhere, it seems doable, at least short term. But I will be towing this every 2 weeks to different forests. It's going to be a decent amount of stress on the body where the hitch itself connects, but am hopeful. If the part where the hitch connects to the body breaks on me mid-drive, it will be catastrophic for me. So I nervous and going in blind. But this is a trip I *need* to do for myself.

The Woolly Bear trailer will be ready for pickup on August 17 (2 weeks). Quite nervous.

When transporting it, I plan to unload the battery, cooler, and any heavier items from the trailer and into the car to lessen to tongue weight load as much as I can because I feel that's the weak spot based on VW EUs max recommended rating of 165lbs tongue.

I will provide update(s) as to how it's going once am on the road with it.

Thanks to all the confidence boosting posts here. I was on the edge of canceling my order until I saw similar VWs tow even heavier things here. But I'll be towing a lot more frequently than some of you, I feel.

My biggest fear is if something breaks, it will take the muffler with it, or worse, send the trailer careening into a car behind me or causing the trailer to sustain significant and costly damage.

I will update when I can.

GreenGoop

TDI
15 VW Golf 6 spd MT
So as you can see above I got the trailer/"RV", 1300lbs empty, with the tent and gear is currently around 1700? Tongue weight dry is 140, with all closer to 200 is my guess.

I will weigh at a CAT scale when I can.

As far as towing it goes, it's my first time towing. It was both harrowing and safe feeling. It *does* have trouble going up even slight inclines if you're not already going, and for the first time in my life I smelled burning clutch when I was backing it up a very slight incline on a gravel road to load gear into it.

Engine temps went from 208-212F without the trailer, to 220-238F with the trailer (redline starts at 260F and ends at 280F by the dummy temp gauge on the dash it looks like).

It has magnetic breaks and stopping power was more than adaquate, but if someone pulled in front of my out of a driveway and I had to quickly stop it may be a disaster. Otherwise for all other occasions breaking feels good.

I took it from Houston, Texas, to a forest in New Mexico. Going on the rocky roads was very scary. You can see it does dip the rear end of the car a bit so I'm scared I'll damage the exhaust system maybe on a taller rock.. I'll have to get rear suspension air bags installed when I can for this.

Had othet thoughts but am short on time. Taking this to a forest in Texas next week so will provide more info/update then.

Edit: from my voice notes (these were made when the trailer was practically empty save for the battery put in and some minor gear - - without the 200lbs tent, 100lbs water, and 100lbs or so of gear. Will test this out geared up on the highway next week).
MPG went from 58-60mpg highway to about 35-40 if I recall.

Handled well.

Gearing (manual transmission) - about same gear ratios. Needed to stay in first gear longer, otherwise all gears remained at their respective speeds as with no load and 6th gear was normal/great.

Acceleration was great too, but I drive sane anyway unlike most Americans who have a lead foot.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just bought a 5x10.5 trailer and am using it for the first time today. I went to get a tool box, about a two hour drive. So far, so good.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
So as you can see above I got the trailer/"RV", 1300lbs empty, with the tent and gear is currently around 1700? Tongue weight dry is 140, with all closer to 200 is my guess.

I will weigh at a CAT scale when I can.

As far as towing it goes, it's my first time towing. It was both harrowing and safe feeling. It *does* have trouble going up even slight inclines if you're not already going, and for the first time in my life I smelled burning clutch when I was backing it up a very slight incline on a gravel road to load gear into it.

Engine temps went from 208-212F without the trailer, to 220-238F with the trailer (redline starts at 260F and ends at 280F by the dummy temp gauge on the dash it looks like).

It has magnetic breaks and stopping power was more than adaquate, but if someone pulled in front of my out of a driveway and I had to quickly stop it may be a disaster. Otherwise for all other occasions breaking feels good.

I took it from Houston, Texas, to a forest in New Mexico. Going on the rocky roads was very scary. You can see it does dip the rear end of the car a bit so I'm scared I'll damage the exhaust system maybe on a taller rock.. I'll have to get rear suspension air bags installed when I can for this.

Had othet thoughts but am short on time. Taking this to a forest in Texas next week so will provide more info/update then.

Edit: from my voice notes (these were made when the trailer was practically empty save for the battery put in and some minor gear - - without the 200lbs tent, 100lbs water, and 100lbs or so of gear. Will test this out geared up on the highway next week).
MPG went from 58-60mpg highway to about 35-40 if I recall.

Handled well.

Gearing (manual transmission) - about same gear ratios. Needed to stay in first gear longer, otherwise all gears remained at their respective speeds as with no load and 6th gear was normal/great.

Acceleration was great too, but I drive sane anyway unlike most Americans who have a lead foot.
Are those coolest temps or oil temps?

Mozambiquer

TDI

I really haven't pulled much with my TDI yet... But it allowed me to sell my truck, so that's good.
Heaviest load I did was hauling an ALH engine and manual transmission from near Springfield Illinois back home. Also had a set of tires on the trailer.
I averaged 26 mpg towing.
This was a table my wife found. Not very heavy at all. I got 32 mpg pulling that one.

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
you got a build thread on this somewhere?
No thread of the build but here’s two albums of start to finish the project withFantastic execution on a fantastic idea.
I love the mini woodstove.

you got a build thread on this somewhere?

Fantastic execution on a fantastic idea.
I love the mini woodstove.
Thanks! I have no build thread or anything but I attached two albums of everything pretty much I did. Photos are out of order, sorry!

Not sure exactly what she weighs but I’d imagine 1500+ish, I’ll have to CAT scale it.

I Redid the exterior last year in full West System Epoxy system, fiber cloth and epoxied entire roof. I had the year before some water intrusion due to inferior original paint.

Short list of build:
-Fully Welded Steel frame and roof rack
-1” foam board insulation
-Teardrop Window
-MaxxFan Deluxe
-Victron MPPT Charge Controller
-Waterproof Fuse Panel
-LED Interior Lights
-2x Battleborn 100ah Heated Batteries
-12v National Luna 50l Dual Fridge Freezer (no longer the cooler as pictured)
-Victron 1200a Inverter
-Victron External Charger (never needed)
-Tembo Tusk Cooler Slide w/ Cutting board
-Pelican Case for the Batteries
-Dickinson Newport Solid Fuel Heater
- Custom Conduit Tube for Stove Pipe
-Rhino Rack Pioneer Rack
-Ostrich Awn 270 degree self supporting awning
-Heavy duty awning mounts for Ostrich Awn
-Wall Kit for Awning
-Aluminum Box fold out shower curtain
-10 gallon sun heated Road Shower
-5 gal locking Jerry holder
-20lb propane tank on locking holder
-Tembo Tusk propane skottle for cooking
-3 Renogy Eclipse 100w panels with port for folding 4th panel once set up
-Shower head for road shower
-3500lb galvanized axle with Nevr Adjust Brakes
-Bluetooth Trailer Brake Controller
-Reese Light Duty weight distribution system
-Spare Tire
-Tri Fold bed that turns into couch
-UPOL Raptor bedliner
-UPOL Raptor Jeep wheels
-215/75/R15 General Grabber A/Ts
-LED brake lights and Side Markers

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon

Thanks! I have no build thread or anything but I attached two albums of everything pretty much I did. Photos are out of order, sorry!

Not sure exactly what she weighs but I’d imagine 1500+ish, I’ll have to CAT scale it.

I Redid the exterior last year in full West System Epoxy system, fiber cloth and epoxied entire roof. I had the year before some water intrusion due to inferior original paint.

Short list of build:
-Fully Welded Steel frame and roof rack
-1” foam board insulation
-Teardrop Window
-MaxxFan Deluxe
-Victron MPPT Charge Controller
-Waterproof Fuse Panel
-LED Interior Lights
-2x Battleborn 100ah Heated Batteries
-12v National Luna 50l Dual Fridge Freezer (no longer the cooler as pictured)
-Victron 1200a Inverter
-Victron External Charger (never needed)
-Tembo Tusk Cooler Slide w/ Cutting board
-Pelican Case for the Batteries
-Dickinson Newport Solid Fuel Heater
- Custom Conduit Tube for Stove Pipe
-Rhino Rack Pioneer Rack
-Ostrich Awn 270 degree self supporting awning
-Heavy duty awning mounts for Ostrich Awn
-Wall Kit for Awning
-Aluminum Box fold out shower curtain
-10 gallon sun heated Road Shower
-5 gal locking Jerry holder
-20lb propane tank on locking holder
-Tembo Tusk propane skottle for cooking
-3 Renogy Eclipse 100w panels with port for folding 4th panel once set up
-Shower head for road shower
-3500lb galvanized axle with Nevr Adjust Brakes
-Bluetooth Trailer Brake Controller
-Reese Light Duty weight distribution system
-Spare Tire
-Tri Fold bed that turns into couch
-UPOL Raptor bedliner
-UPOL Raptor Jeep wheels
-215/75/R15 General Grabber A/Ts
-LED brake lights and Side Markers

Excellent.
I see a lot of good thought went into this.
I hope you get tons of use out of it.....let me know if you get tired of it, LOL.

ccbutler3

TDI
03 ALH Manual Wagon
Excellent.
I see a lot of good thought went into this.
I hope you get tons of use out of it.....let me know if you get tired of it, LOL.
Thanks brother I appreciate you! Will do… someone at this point would have to “make me an offer so ridiculous I’d be forced to consider it”, as Dr. King Schultz from Django would say haha

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Thanks brother I appreciate you! Will do… someone at this point would have to “make me an offer so ridiculous I’d be forced to consider it”, as Dr. King Schultz from Django would say haha
truth.
It is hard to put a price on a labor of love.

memories, love, and time are the only things money cant buy.
But poor uses of money have bought me some good memories.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm getting ready to setup a trailer on my mk6 6mt Sportwagen. I've got a 2" torklift hitch install and idparts lift spring kit and Koni active struts. I haven't towed a trailer before but will use it for dump runs, moving some yard equipment (snowblower, ride on mower etc) getting large stuff from HD/Lowe's etc. I have a 2000 Ford f150 2wd and going to sell that and get a trailer instead.

Recommendations on a utility trailer? Any tutorial on wiring harnesses etc? What other accessories will I need (chains, ball hitch etc).

TIA

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Trailer should come with chains. Ball size is most likely 1⅞", but again - wait until you see what comes on the trailer. :)

Wiring: I'd just go to e-trailer.com and see what part number they spec (on my Mk7, there were cheap options that involved splicing into wires, or the $80 option that just plugged directly from the taillight connectors - definitely the way to go).

If you've got heavy loads on the tongue and/or plan to travel longer, take a look at AirLift "helper" bags for the rear springs. Cheaper than new springs and while installation is more hassle, the adaptability is awesome.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Nicely Done!

I resurrected my want to add a camper door to the back of my 4x6' cargo trailer to complete my "sleeper" setup. Ham radio "Field Day" is coming soon and I want to spend the night at the venue. With the hard deadline approaching in just two weeks, I decided to get moving and make it happen. Here's what I have so far:

The frame...

Test-fitting the teardrop door...

I'll paint the wood gloss black. My current plan is to make this a fold-up wall that will store along the ceiling to make room for cargo. The hinges will hold the wall in place at the top and a pair of slide-bolts will hold it in place at the bottom. It's supposed to rain this week, but I think I can still finish it with plenty of time to spare.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
HAHA! It could be a warm evening. The trailer has ventilation and insulation. With the teardrop window open, I'm hopeful that sleeping in there will be as tolerable as sleeping in a tent. We'll see. As for videos, I have a small playlist HERE. It features seven videos that cover all portions of the build with the exception of this door. I'll close the series with the building of this door and perhaps a small "camping" video. Take Care!

Have fun sleeping in there. 😁 (But seriously....you got a video of your build of this coming?)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'm getting ready to setup a trailer on my mk6 6mt Sportwagen. I've got a 2" torklift hitch install and idparts lift spring kit and Koni active struts. I haven't towed a trailer before but will use it for dump runs, moving some yard equipment (snowblower, ride on mower etc) getting large stuff from HD/Lowe's etc. I have a 2000 Ford f150 2wd and going to sell that and get a trailer instead.

Recommendations on a utility trailer? Any tutorial on wiring harnesses etc? What other accessories will I need (chains, ball hitch etc).

TIA
I'm not sure what you're looking to do with your utility trailer, but I had something like this one for towing my ATV around and I'm sure it would work well for a lot of other tasks. The great part of having an aluminum trailer is you don't have to worry about it rusting if you leave it outside or it gets a scratch in it.
https://www.pfeiffertrailersales.co...-trailer-w--wood-sides-model--ut6022-8asr.php

Some other options:
https://rnrtrailers.com/product-cat...-cat4097486-kaluminum%20utility%20trailer-mod

https://www.adadosales.com/2022-quality-steel-and-aluminum-utility-trailer-5x8-IJnj|3Tg.html

https://baytrailerdepot.com/listings/high-country-5-x-8-aluminum-utility-trailer/

Like Nuje mentioned your best to go to Etrailer and get a wiring harness that just plugs right into your car to make it simple and you don't have to splice any wires.

Good luck. 👍

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pulls it fine, I have VR6 front springs and 288mm brakes and J-wagon rear springs, Bilstein at all four corners (the "regular" black ones). RC0 MAF delete tune, 11mm pump, otherwise all stock.

Mozambiquer

TDI

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)