2002 Golf - reasonable asking price

PandaCar

TDI
2002 Golf
I have a 2002 Golf (black) that has been well loved that needs a new home.

I acquired it 10-12 years ago with 72K miles on it. It currently has under 155K miles.

It needs: 2 new mirrors (rear view and driver side, currently held on with tape), transmission, A/C system, trunk lock. The body has some damage and rust but all cosmetic. The windshield came with 2 small chips that haven't changed in a decade.

I have maintained it well otherwise and can provide receipts/logs of repairs. Had major belt maintenance around 140K. KBB values it at about $1,450. I don't know what a reasonable offer is based on its condition, but it would be a fun project for someone who likes projects like that.

Located west of Philadelphia. Must pick up. Might need a tow.

email dhannan1@gmail.com

Boraflux

Depends...
Everyone seems to want a two door, so if that's what you've got, maybe people will look the other way with some of the cosmetic stuff.

Is the transmission a manual or an automatic? The auto will lower the value.

What color is the interior? Tan and gray usually look like crap after 20 years, but the black interiors tend to be more reasonable.

A 4 door golf with rusty fenders and a blown slushbox isn't going to sell for much. $500 seems accurate.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Automatic? If so it’s a parts car. $5-700, 5spd manual more in the suggested kbb range depending on if it’s drive able, tire condition and so on. PA winters are not kind to vehicles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Rust.... and body damage..... clearly visible from outside the car

Wont drive or move under it's own power and needs a transmission. No mirrors and probably needs a grand just in parts to make it " road legal"

It's worth $250 over scrap value because it runs and you have a title. If it does not run then $100 over scrap value.

Sorry. Only in decent shape ( yours is not) and fully operating in all ways with just tires and maybe brakes and a belt kit to make it road worthy and inspection passable... would fetch you the low end of $2grand. If it has a stock exhaust and is in really good shape with no actuall rust and low miles... 5 grand.

Dont expect anything more then $500 to somone local who is willing to pay half that just for it to be towed.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Mongler98: Did you actually see some pictures or something?
No... but I've seen enough to know a rusted out clap trap ... tapped on mirrors means OP cant afford to maintain a car that's constantly abused. $20 junk yard parts to fix the mirrors and rust... yes I'm sure the rockers are shot and fenders are gone. Any time someone says ots just cosmetic...... you know it's a S show.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Might need a tow.
You know where tow trucks tow cars to, after signing over the title? The junk yard.

Nobody is trying to lowball the guy. They just don't find it appropriate to pay a "runs and drives" price for a long-distance tow job. Towing for a local buyer is one thing, but the scope of this forum is national (international, if it's possible to buy across the Canadian border).

I hope he finds a buyer who keeps it running, and they're both happy with the sale.