What did you do to your MK7 today?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Whoever wrote the pamphlet is clearly dense. It doesn't make mention of Phase II A or B but those exist. But I've read (here I'm pretty sure) that people have had the dealer tell them they were getting Phase II A or Phase II B when going in for the second part of the recall, depending on what the computer tells them is needed.

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume two cars, both with Phase I complete and an open recall for Phase II...
Vehicle 1 - below 40/70k, goes in and VW completes Phase II A - additional NOx sensor, and the software
Vehicle 2 - above 40k/70k goes in and VW completes Phase II B - all the new equipment, and the software

Both no longer show an open recall for their respective VINs, as they have Phase I and Phase II completed. At that point, the extended emissions warranty now applies so VW is only fixing/replacing things that are broken.

There is still the following from the pamphlet regarding Phase II...
"If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, before it reaches 150,000 miles"

This would apply to our hypothetical Vehicle 1 and says the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst will be replaced before 150k. Through omission, I read that as the other equipment (included in Phase II B) would not be replaced unless something was broken. Broken things are covered by the extended warranty and not by the recall.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
According to letter I received from VW back in '18, since I purchased my vehicle with the phase 1 already done," if vehicle has less than the 40k/70k at time of phase 2 update, we will not replace Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter , but request you return at future date for it's replacement once your vehicle has accumulated at least 70k miles. At the time of this service, you will receive a complimentary maintenance service with a free tank of fuel and have the aforementioned hardware installed at that time"...

diesel power

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKVI 2014 Jetta MKIV 2001
Verified physically Glow plug #1 that was coding with CEL on… Yep busted...
Stealers are selling those 305 CDN $$$ !
70$ US , is a much better price for an OEM part...
Now I have to fix Starter lockout switch...:unsure:

(Golf 2015 CRUA engine)

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Since CELs are covered by the emmisssions warranty it might be worth reaching out to the dealership to see if it's covered.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ummm? what?

Maybe thats a Canadian thing?

diesel power

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MKVI 2014 Jetta MKIV 2001
Sorry my bad, just called the dealer and it is covered under the warranty.

Oh well too late I've ordered one on a well known U.S.A. site and lo and behold I've received 5 for the price of one, good deal !! ;)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Sorry my bad, just called the dealer and it is covered under the warranty.

Oh well too late I've ordered one on a well known U.S.A. site and lo and behold I've received 5 for the price of one, good deal !! ;)
Free is a better price isn't it? Send them back I say, haha.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
or share them with those looking for replacement units.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Replaced 5Q0 gateway with 3Q0, remote session with VAG Retrofit and Coding. They also updated my DCC module to the latest version (which is something I had asked about some time ago but then other things took priority, like getting DCC to work at all, haha). Anyway, latest DCC firmware along with the later gateway gets DCC slider when in Custom (Individual) Driving Mode instead of just Comfort/Normal/Sport options.
https://flic.kr/p/2n2arFo
I've been working on getting OEM RGB ambient lights working, and so far got to one RGB module lighting up but with no color/brightness control. Today after the gateway replacement this light now changes color with Driving Profile. There was always a checkbox for this in (experimental) gateway long coding but it didn't do anything. As of now the light does not change to the color I want but I think I can fix that.
https://flic.kr/p/2n276Rv https://flic.kr/p/2n2arCx https://flic.kr/p/2n2arzB

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This past Saturday I replaced the battery in the GSW. During the recent cold snaps(single digit/below zero overnights) the first start of the day had a couple real slow cranks. Mind you, the battery supposedly checked out ok at the 80k service less than a month ago. the date code on battery is 2015, so it is original. A couple weeks ago I was at Autozone and they had a H6 battery with date code of 11/21 with labels peeled off and "used" labels put on it, and some white marks on it. Employee said a battery above it on shelf leaked acid on it, were told to sell as used. I bought it-it was only $50, and I fully charged it when I got home. Decided to replace on Saturday. I have one of those memory keepers that plug into the obd port and have a cigarette lighter connection on other end. I plugged that into jump pack while changing battery. No lights when I started car, didn't lose trip miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you did very well getting 6-7 years out of that OEM unit, here I am chomping at the bit expecting to replace our '15 Passat that had a new battery in 2017.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Purchasing our new to us GSW here soon from a forum member:

Ordered up today:

-Fuel filter
-BG fuel system cleaner(after first tank, will follow with regular Stanadyne usage)
-PowerFlex dog mount insert
-DG Sigma 6 SS

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stopped by Basil VW yesterday. Made appt. for Monday morning to have the shifter trim recall done and for them to diagnose the leaking water pump and have that replaced under Allstate warranty, and will do timing belt/tensioner/rollers as well. Now I need a windshield, truck from opposite direction went by and I heard a loud ping, I didn't see anything. Then yesterday I got in car I saw the crack. Today it has spread 3/4 way across bottom of windshield....

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Stopped by Basil VW yesterday. Made appt. for Monday morning to have the shifter trim recall done and for them to diagnose the leaking water pump and have that replaced under Allstate warranty, and will do timing belt/tensioner/rollers as well. Now I need a windshield, truck from opposite direction went by and I heard a loud ping, I didn't see anything. Then yesterday I got in car I saw the crack. Today it has spread 3/4 way across bottom of windshield....
Lane assist retrofit? I mean you're doing the windshield already 😁.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Curious if typical insurance will replace with different glass for you folk.
I asked about doing that here (my glass had a few chips and rock dings - sufficient for insurance replacement, I think), and I asked about replacing with glass-with-lane-assist-bracket, offering to pay the difference between stock and the lane-assist glass.
They were very adamant that no can do. They need to take photos of the glass before and after, and if they don't match, insurance will reject their submission.
I get along well with the guys there, and they gave me a pretty good price on the replacement glass (less than what I saw the insurance invoice they were sending off for the aftermarket glass on my Mk4 a few months back), so it wasn't that big an issue.

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Installed a battery maintainer.

The Schumacher SC1300 1.5A maintainer fits snugly between my H6 battery and the air filter box. In fact, I didn't bother mounting the maintainer to anything since it is surrounded and will not be going anywhere. Leaving it loose also allows freedom to move it aside for air filter and/or battery service.

I opted to attach the negative DC lead to the negative terminal mounted on the firewall directly behind the battery that the battery negative cable also attaches to. The positive DC lead I fished into the power box from underneath and attached to the terminal bolt where the battery positive cable attaches. Attaching the leads to something other than the battery itself eliminates a need to remove the leads during battery replacement. I had to solder additional length to each DC lead to reach.

The maintainer comes with a foot-long AC cord so I soldered a six-foot cord to it. This I fished down to behind the grill in front.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
Installed the Sigma 6 short shifter yesterday and did a mufflerectomy on the GSW today.

Super impressed with the Sigma shifter. The shifter has no slop and impressively short.

The muffler on the GSW was quite long and for $100 at a shop, had them chop It off and straight pipe it out. Noticed the car picks up a bit more freely, very little notice in sound. UPDATE - I have noticed the car takes longer now for the oil to get up to temp with the muffler removed.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went to dealer yesterday to have the DSG trim piece recall done and to see if they could verify a leaking water pump. Their tech believes oil around bottom seal is just residual oil from when the oil filter gets replaced and works it's way everywhere, said they haven't seen the water pump fail on the newer TDI's... They saw no visual evidence of any coolant leaks. They did pressure test on cooling system, no leak down at all. Advisor said he called VW and they said it could possibly be a rare case of the EGR leaking internally. Dealer put sealant on reservoir cap so they can tell if it's been tampered with and told me to come back in 1k miles or if coolant light comes on before then(it never has, I always added coolant once it got to low level mark). If it does go down, advisor said they'd have to do more investigating. EGR components are covered under Dieselgate warranty. At least I didn't have to pay a diagnostic fee yesterday....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The muffler on the GSW was quite long and for $100 at a shop, had them chop It off and straight pipe it out. Noticed the car picks up a bit more freely, very little notice in sound. UPDATE - I have noticed the car takes longer now for the oil to get up to temp with the muffler removed.
Longer warm up times is due to the 6 sigma, not the mufflerectomy, :)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Are there any risks to running without a muffler? Not judging, but isn't a muffler a legal requirement?
If you still have the rest of your emissions equipment removing the muffler won't do anything. The muffler on our cars isn't really doing much. The exhaust noise is quieted by the other emissions equipment. I deleted my muffler to go with dual exhaust tips, cosmetic only, and the car sounds exactly the same (which I wanted).

So removing our mufflers won't run you afoul of any legal problems regarding noise. But I can't speak to any visual inspections. I haven't failed in CA but they don't put the car on a lift.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the tires rotated. While driving through a parking lot today, the wagon stalled and the glow plug light started flashing. Put in park, started up, no cel and glow plug light not flashing. This shiznit keeps happening and Carvana will be getting a call, offer increased another $1k since I last checked to just over $15,900 now...

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Hardwired GPS, radar detector, and dash cam. Freed up all outlets. Switched center console outlet fuse to on all the time position.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@Midwesthick do you happen to have VCDS or some other way of logging? It would be interesting to see if there is a reduced time between request/actual after installing this part. Neuspeed says expect better response and more horsepower, although no numbers are provided. I can see how response could be improved, though not so much on the horsepower bit.

I'm also running this. But I did not do a pre/post install back to back comparison. I installed at the same time I was doing some other mods and hadn't driven the car in months. I installed the Neuspeed intake at the same time. The car makes cool turbo sounds now, but doesn't feel too different.