Why is my Turbo Shrieking?

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I reassembled my car pretty fuuuuking god-damned carefully. Was careful not to kink the turbo oil exit flex line. Added oil to the turbo inlet port before reconnecting the inlet line. I had started and run the car a little yesterday and today when I take it out as soon as I step on the throttle significantly there is a shrill shrieking sound from the general vicinity of where the turbo is located. Huh why would that be? Funny how I only got two responses to my turbo questions and no one I repeat no one said the turbo can have a problem unless you ___________________.
Or if you hear this or that sounds there is a problem with this or that. So let me take a guess. There is a procedure to evacuate air in the turbo oil inlet line and if there is significant air in the turbo oil line the oil won't flow to the turbo or won't circulate correctly and nobody told me this or anything remotely useful to be listening for or specific enough for me to carry out a meaningful or safe repair.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I reassembled my car pretty fuuuuking god-damned carefully. Was careful not to kink the turbo oil exit flex line. Added oil to the turbo inlet port before reconnecting the inlet line. I had started and run the car a little yesterday and today when I take it out as soon as I step on the throttle significantly there is a shrill shrieking sound from the general vicinity of where the turbo is located. Huh why would that be? Funny how I only got two responses to my turbo questions and no one I repeat no one said the turbo can have a problem unless you ___________________.
Or if you hear this or that sounds there is a problem with this or that. So let me take a guess. There is a procedure to evacuate air in the turbo oil inlet line and if there is significant air in the turbo oil line the oil won't flow to the turbo or won't circulate correctly and nobody told me this or anything remotely useful to be listening for or specific enough for me to carry out a meaningful or safe repair.
Check to see if something fell in the intake. All I do to prime the oil is pit 12v to the starter trigger with the ignition off.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I watched a video on YouTube where there was a very similar sound that was supposed to be a cracked manifold. Manifold leak or a leak in the EGT? I thought for certain I got all of these tight. It seems I kinda don't seem to recall hearing the turbo vanes adjust during run up like usual. I thought my turbo was being starved for oil and on the verge of seizing. It's been an ordeal these repairs, the cars been out of commission for months lead to me needing to purchase a Subaru that has been a money pit and just want a vehicle that I can rely on for at least a couple thousand miles without extraordinary cost, repair or failure... I'll go through the EGR and manifold tomorrow make certain everything is tight. I can imagine that I didn't get
an EGR bolt tightened enough is a very real possibility. Really hope that is all that is wrong and if it's something else it can be solved reasonably. Thanks for understanding.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The first time I changed a turbo that’s exactly what I did. I put those bolts in just finger tight and forgot to go any further. When I started it and put my foot on the go pedal I heard the screech and was sick, that I had done something to my new turbo. I checked these forums crawled back under the car and found the loose egr pipe.

Since then I’ve tried to be conscious of those connections and get them tight. The last time I had my turbo off I had a screech under boost while driving. My connection was tight but not quite tight enough, another quarter turn and the problem was solved.

I would say screech while reving in the driveway= very loose, screeching while driving under boost= not quite tight enough.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah I’ve done that too.... sounds like when your a kid and put a blade of grass between your thumbs and blow...... that screeching.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Thanks Jarhead this was exactly the problem. Now there is another sound though. I have proceeded to take my car to run errands anyway because I'm not as worried now. The sound now is a wooshing/air leaking sound. Pretty obviously a boost leak. There was no clamp on the hose that I remember at the intake to the turbo air inlet. I don't know if that is where the leak is. Seems like a leak would be post Turbo but I don't know I'll get a pipe clamp/band clamp and put it on the turbo inlet and see if that helps. csstevej the blade of grass is what I thought of too after the fact. It would be good to be able to think of this sort of thing before hand though in case Jarhead wasn't there for answers. I think I would have figured it out but it would have been frustrating. Thanks again and if anyone has tips for diagnosing the boost leak please let me know.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Was taking the car for errands and definitely was getting a boost leak at higher loads. Was getting a surging, loss of power and pretty substantial dark exhaust smoke. Seemed to go away perhaps once turbo spooled up all the way. Makes me think it is on the vacuum side of the turbo. I got a pipe clamp just need to install it and see.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Had a similar issue on my sons car……found the 90 degree rubber hose that goes into the EGR valve had a split…. About 1 1/2” …..Was had to find at first as nothing would show at idle…..

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I found the boost leak. When I'm wrong I'm wrong and admit it. I think I have things to be cocky or rightfully pissed about and having attention to detail on reassembly on this one I didn't have a right to be cocky about. The band clamps from the intercooler I hadn't replaced to where they were seated properly. Running well now. I'm now going to do two windscreen removals and installation for the first time. Was going to have it done by a window installer months ago but missed the appointment. Now I have the tools to do it myself and with the cost of 3M Urethane, the tools and secondhand glass should cost less than $100. Cheapest I could find in my local area was $290 and a wait for maybe two weeks. If I can remove the glass without cracking new stuff I should be good.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice on the find and admit….,good luck on the glass…..

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Glad you got it going. We all have our days.

My daughters boyfriend drives a gasser Jetta, he’s had a rattle in it for several months we talked about dual mass flywheels and how they make noise before they die. I never listened to his car. He did some research on the inter web and came to the conclusion that his DMF was coming apart so he ordered a new clutch and asked me to help. Sure. We got that thing apart and the SINGLE MASS flywheel was fine maybe a a couple of hot spots but it was fine. Got everything back together and started it. The noise was still there, unfortunately I had not listened to it before we did all that work or he spent all that money.

I could tell almost immediately the noise was coming from the serpentine belt area and I said as much, it was at that point I found out he’d just got a new battery because his old one had died and then the new one died on him. His alternator sounded like marbles in a can. We replaced that and he was good to go. He didn’t need a clutch he needed an alternator.

I fault myself, I should have listened before we tackled that job. I could have saved him a lot of money and effort.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Indeed ……..a hard lesson learned..
Is he able to return the clutch or did you guys replace it since your there?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Indeed ……..a hard lesson learned..
Is he able to return the clutch or did you guys replace it since your there?

We went ahead and replaced it. Along with all the bits and pieces, pivot, clip, arm, and rear seal. I don’t like doing a partial job when I have things apart. I had a spare alternator from a parts car and it took less than 30 minutes to swap it out. The 2.0 gasser has the alternator up on top with easy accessibility. Once swapped the noise was gone.

He’s a good kid I got to work with him which is a good way to get to know someone a little better.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice …… Plus you teach him , that will stay with him for life….

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
When I knew my clutch had gone out I ordered the single mass kit. I discovered that the dual mass and pressure plate were still good. I could have just purchased the clutch disk only. I don't notice any worse vibration without the dual mass and overall I have noticed the engine runs smoother now. It could be attributed to cleaning the intake manifold or fixing an exhaust leak. I don't know it still has moments of surging around 1,800 rpm intermittently and at low idle an intermittent shaking but noticably less than before. It was bad on long drives between central-southern California and Oregon I had to just stop and take a break every so often because I was being shaken to bits.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
It'll be interesting to see how long my CV boot job holds up. As far as the Glass I got the second hand windscreen paid for and should be picking it up tomorrow. I decided not to pull it today. Didn't want to rush that. I got a tool kit with various tools like the 90 degree pull or draw knife, a long blade t handle knife/wire starter and wire saw but upon opening the set notice that the tools were only pseudo sharp. Picked up a diamond knife sharpener and am going to get the tools sharpened proper before use. I'm very confident I'll do a fine job with the windshield. What I really want to do is strip the interior and redo it with better materials. It was a mess after sitting several months. There was a ton of mold basically on everything. Growing on the steering wheel and really bad on the seatbelts and in places on the upholstery. I figured a lot of that was from things like drinks getting spilled and such some from me but much probably left from the previous owners. I really dislike all of the fuzzy carpet like materials, memory foam on roof interior panel and thin coatings of rubber like materials and even materials like cardboard in the flooring. It all breaks down over time is hard to clean and harbours moisture, food particles, dirt etc, which promote mold, bacteria, and rust. just isn't that appealing to me. I don't like my car being anthropomorphic to that extent if at all. I don't know if I should or will go to the extent of all the stuff I'd like to do with the wagon I have now. I probably want to start with a cleaner slate.

Last edited:

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I found the boost leak. When I'm wrong I'm wrong and admit it. I think I have things to be cocky or rightfully pissed about and having attention to detail on reassembly on this one I didn't have a right to be cocky about. The band clamps from the intercooler I hadn't replaced to where they were seated properly. Running well now. I'm now going to do two windscreen removals and installation for the first time. Was going to have it done by a window installer months ago but missed the appointment. Now I have the tools to do it myself and with the cost of 3M Urethane, the tools and secondhand glass should cost less than $100. Cheapest I could find in my local area was $290 and a wait for maybe two weeks. If I can remove the glass without cracking new stuff I should be good.
I'm guessing you got your windshield removing tools from H.F. or ebay. I'm going to strongly advise you against attempting what you have in mind. Since I know you're going to ignore my advice anyway, humor me and at least have someone else with a cell phone there watching.
And wear kevlar gloves.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
No I didn't purchase the tools from Harbor Freight or eBay I purchased them from Amazon. They were not the best. I sharpened the curved blade pull knife tool before I used it. I had no need for kevlar gloves in that situation. I removed the windshield in two days got around the top and sides without incident. On the second day while breaking loose the bottom urethane I cracked it in two places. Hairline cracks that seemed to not propagate into numerous. Disappointing for me and something for you to find joy in I take it. I learned though what would help to do in the future. Unfortunately I didn't have any help because if I did I wouldn't have had them there to film. Even with the couple cracks it's in far better condition than the other windshield, thanks...

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Don't worry about it.......even professional glass men won't waste their time trying to get one out unscathed. Those couple of cracks aren't going to do anything but grow. I'm sure that if you keep searching for windshields with no cracks or rock stars in them and then keep trying you'll eventually get one out intact, but then, what have you got? A used windshield with years of abrasion by sand, small pebbles, and dirt kicked up by other cars and trucks. That needs to be cleaned up and installed. And at what cost?

When I suggested having someone else there with a cell phone, I'm thinking of someone else with a communication device that might need to call for help and possibly apply a tourniquet. You see it as someone there to film you and make you an object of derision.

You've got try...... I'll give you that. Just learn to chose your battles a little more wisely.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
I always cut around the inside with a long windshield razor cutter before i try the outside with the angle cutter and puller.