97 Suzuki Sidekick 1.9 alh mtdi help

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Hey all, I am getting ready to start my 97 Suzuki Sidekick conversion/build.

So far I have:
1997 Suzuki Sidekick 4x4 4dr (gears 4.62)
99.5 Jetta 5 speed alh
LR 200 IP
764 Nozzles
Acme Adapter
Centerforce Clutch
Mercedes Hydraulic Motor Mounts
And some other misc parts
Calmini 6" Lift

Plain to still acquire/fab:
Custom Oil Pan and pickup
Custom dual pass radiator
Custom full width intercooler
Oil Cooler
Amsoil Dual filter oil bypass system
PD150 intake
A decent fuel filter/separator system
eLockers

I am still trying to figure out my best approach on refreshing the ALH it has about 350K on it. But is has been taken care of very well.

I have some questions about turbo options if someone might be able to shed some light light. The end goal is to be around 150-160hp.

I am having a hard time figuring out what turbo to run. I will be using a digiboost with the N75 from the 2000 Jetta TDI so I can run a VNT turbo. (I am trying to use as little electronics on this build as possible)

It has been recommended that I use a 2052v or a 2056v, but I am very hesitant because my understanding is the "meatiest part of the torque curve on the Jetta, is in the 1900-2500 RPM range with the sweet spot around 2000rpm" (quoted from somewhere, I can't remember). I guess because of gearing? The 2052v full boost is around 2200rpm, and the 2056v full boost is around 2700rpm. I think I read somewhere that the stock turbo full boost is around 2000 rpm. Below is a chart I took full boost rpms from and is found here

My concern is the Jetta’s rpms at 70mph is, if I remember correctly, 2300-2400rpm. With the tallest gears and largest tires I can fit on the Suzuki sidekick, the rpms at 70mph will be 2600rpm to 2800rpm (calculated, maybe a little higher). I am trying to keep my rpms down for economy, but the tallest gears available are the 4.62s.

I wish I could match the gearing of the Jetta, and I’d be confident the 2052v would be my choice but with the higher rpms I am just not sure. Would the 2052v still boost in the 2500rpm to 3500rpm range or is its max boost at 2200rpms? If I go with a 2056v will it still start spooling early enough?

The car will be used as my daily driver, a weekend trail rig, and tow a boat (trailer and boat weighs about 3500#). I also live in a very hilly area, so I would still need to pull hills in 4th and 5th gears preferably.

If I left any information out just let me know.

Thank you so much for any help!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
You should be able to adjust your final gearing with the OD of your tire setup to get it more inline with what you want.
Because you want a dual purpose rig, you'll have to plan accordingly. You need low end grunt for on the trails or for when you're buried. I assume you will be running HI/LO transfer case?
Lastly, because you also want to tow, you're really asking for a wide application here.
If it was my build, I'd do the swap to confirm my rpm range before I would try to pick the correct turbo.
Also keep in mind that the SK is a really short wheelbase..... that alone isn't ideal for towing... now you're jacking it up and putting mudders on it to top it off..... it will float and be a handful when towing something that size\weight, especially when it's heavier than the TW.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
You should be able to adjust your final gearing with the OD of your tire setup to get it more inline with what you want.
Because you want a dual purpose rig, you'll have to plan accordingly. You need low end grunt for on the trails or for when you're buried. I assume you will be running HI/LO transfer case?
Lastly, because you also want to tow, you're really asking for a wide application here.
If it was my build, I'd do the swap to confirm my rpm range before I would try to pick the correct turbo.
Also keep in mind that the SK is a really short wheelbase..... that alone isn't ideal for towing... now you're jacking it up and putting mudders on it to top it off..... it will float and be a handful when towing something that size\weight, especially when it's heavier than the TW.
Thank you so much for the reply :)

I will be running the stock HI/LO transfer with a lower gear kit for low range.

The towing is a want/wish, so maybe not possible or a good idea. I'll probably just have to try it out. I think the towing capacity says 2000# with trailer brakes in my owners book.

The max tires I'll be able to fit is 32" without heavy body modifications and different axles. I'd have to be running 35s or 36s before I could get close to the stock Jetta gearing. I am trying to source somewhere that can make custom ring & pinion gears but have had zero luck. If I swap over to toyota axles we are talking big money minimum 6-8k, which is more than I'll have in the entire setup.

I'll do just as you say, do the swap and dial in my exact rpms before deciding on a turbo. Question though, do I need to be shooting for a turbo that the full boost rpms is equal or close to my highway driving rpms? So lets say I am at 2800 rpm at 70mph, should I go with a 2260v (since its full boost is 2800 rpms) or am I understanding this all wrong?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I honestly think it's going to be tough to achieve everything..... you're talking about pushing a lifted brick with wide tires and a high cd at a significant velocity..... you will need some real grunt, not only to get there, but to stay there with some level of efficiency. Without starting to look closer at your numbers, you might only be able to use LO for on the trail and HI for on the road given all this.

Personally, I would want to be more into the powerband, not just at the start of it.... unless you really plan on going a lot faster, etc.
I'm not confident enough in my knowledge of where the ALH likes to make power, so I'll let others steer you in the right direction.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The zuk isn't very heavy. My 3500 some odd lbs 2.0 bhw powered passat with stage 2 tune pushes me at 75 @3000 rpms with plenty of power to spare.

Like the alh my sweet spot for torque is 1900 to 2400 but I get better mpgs if I am just north of my peak torque range.

About the only thing I'd really be concerned with watching is egts due to the additional rotating mass the meaty tires and wind resistance of a lifted rig.

With my 4runner build I'm geared to hit 3500 rpms at 85, 75 mph and 3000 rpms was my goal. I have a longer wheelbase than you. 32s on a side kick, I'd probably not so much like going much past 70mph. I've never been in a side kick but yj jeeps and my old fj40 on 33s never felt safe for strategic evasive manuvers past 65 unless rolling was your goal.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The zuk isn't very heavy. My 3500 some odd lbs 2.0 bhw powered passat with stage 2 tune pushes me at 75 @3000 rpms with plenty of power to spare.
I believe you missed the (Cd) part of my concern, and as a result thought I was worried about the weight.

Sidekick - stock, not lifted 6" or on 32" mudders.
Coefficient of Drag (Cd) .48
Passat B5 - stock
Coefficient of Drag (Cd) .27

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Only one way to find out. Toss in an egt probe and get on the freeway.

My kayak trailer gives plenty of drag with a family full of fishing kayaks. I didn't lack for power but mpgs dropped from the usual 40 plus to near 30 at 75 for 5 hrs.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
With my 4runner build I'm geared to hit 3500 rpms at 85, 75 mph and 3000 rpms was my goal.
Which turbo are you running?

I am hoping I never have this thing above 65 but I want to be able to if needed.

Do they make a version of the GT1749VB that bolts to a manifold instead of being integrated with the manifold? The version that is good for 24 PSI of sustained boost and 170 HP?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm using the stock BHW turbo, I don't know what it is. My only mods are the tune, egr delete and balance shaft delete. The tune is rated 175 hp and 300 ft lbs torque but I think it's a little over rated plus with 270,xxx some odd miles she's no spring chicken. That's my daily driver passat.

Same mods to the 4 runner build (not done yet) but I've got a brm intake manifold and 2.5 mandrel bend straight pipes.

I can't tell you what model my turbos are, it is nice having a removable turbo. The bhw manifold also picks the turbo up higher, a must for my toyota starter.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
I am finding a lot of options, just a quick glance at what others are using:

GTD1752VRK
GTB1752V
GT1749VB
GT1749VA
VNT17/22 (hard to find it seems)

At this point I don't have a clue. All I know is I want is a turbo that is rated for at least 150HP, spools fast in the lower RPMs (I think) and is detachable from the manifold (which is my main problem) that will bolt to ALH. Whether that the turbo will bolt to a BHW manifold, AAZ manifold, etc...

These turbo model numbers are confusing, the V's, VA's, VB's, VRK's. No idea the differences

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
A ton of the turbo info is confusing on the tdi and mercedes forums as many of these guys are building track or at least track style performance engines where they hit and maintain rpms near the redline. I'm running into similar issues finding a good turbo upgrade for an om602 I'm putting in the little ladies discovery 2.

Look for mtdi swaps in zuks, yotas and jeeps. See what turbo they are running.

I stuck with the bhw as the electronics are simple, it's already set up longitudinally and makes more power than I'll need in a sub 4500 lbs rig with just a tune. 300 ft lbs of torque at 1900 rpms is rough on a 10 inch clutch, I don't see the need to make it worse.

The only turbo I know of they toss on the bhw is the bv43.

@jimbote has a nice build on his yota swapped 1.9 frankenstein motor, his build is one you might want to look into. There's also a 1.9 in a Dakota build on here, he tows his boat with it and reports plenty of torque and power.

Last edited:

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
Just a data point here, I'm running a BHW turbo (GT1749va) flipped upside down on a 1Y manifold, 1019 injectors and a Malone Stage 4 tune on my ALH. This is all in a 1991 LandCruiser Prado that weighs around 5000lbs and is shaped like a cinder block ;). I have 4.88 diffs, 235/85/16 tires and an R150f Toyota transmission with 0.69:1 5th gear. I run around 2550 rpm at 70 mph, and can cruise at nearly 80 mph on flat ground if I want to. Fuel economy has averaged 22-23 mpg over the last 12,000 miles, best was almost 25 mpg. Most of the recorded mileage was with a soft-shell rooftop tent mounted.

I haven't done any towing with my setup, but with the taller 5th gear I think it would struggle a bit keeping the EGT's in check. Power is pretty good though, I pull moderate hills in 5th above 60 mph and big passes at 55 mph in 4th. I almost always use low range when off road, it just seems to struggle too much at low rpms in high range.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Time to swap to a gear case and put in a 4.7 low gear?
My LandCruiser came from the factory with the R150f and gear driven transfer case (LC split case). I actually don't have a problem with low range gearing, so far it has gone everywhere I point it in 1st or 2nd Low at idle.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Now you're just showing off, we didn't get that set up here in the states. I've got chains on my r150

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It is possible to convert to the gear driven TC with all factory parts ordered from overseas, but definitely not cheap. I had to switch to later style parts when I did my 5th gear conversion, the transfer adapter alone from a 1999+ 70-series LC was over $600.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a centered rear differetial so I could use a w56 gear drive tc and 500 buck adapter.

But my 4runnner is going to be a mall crawler.

When it says land cruiser, it's not cheap

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Just a data point here, I'm running a BHW turbo (GT1749va) flipped upside down on a 1Y manifold, 1019 injectors and a Malone Stage 4 tune on my ALH. This is all in a 1991 LandCruiser Prado that weighs around 5000lbs and is shaped like a cinder block ;). I have 4.88 diffs, 235/85/16 tires and an R150f Toyota transmission with 0.69:1 5th gear. I run around 2550 rpm at 70 mph, and can cruise at nearly 80 mph on flat ground if I want to. Fuel economy has averaged 22-23 mpg over the last 12,000 miles, best was almost 25 mpg. Most of the recorded mileage was with a soft-shell rooftop tent mounted.

I haven't done any towing with my setup, but with the taller 5th gear I think it would struggle a bit keeping the EGT's in check. Power is pretty good though, I pull moderate hills in 5th above 60 mph and big passes at 55 mph in 4th. I almost always use low range when off road, it just seems to struggle too much at low rpms in high range.

This is great info! Thank you so much!

My car weighs about half yours at 2800#, so maybe my EGT won't be terrible but I doubt it because I'll be setting at ~2800rpm where you are 2550rpm.

What max boost do you see from the 1749va?

I wish I could get a 0.69:1 5th. The best you can do in the sidekick is a 0.795:1 5th with 4.62s axle gears. I have thought about doing the R150 with 5th swap but it would require a lot of fab work on the trans tunnel/frame.

I am hoping to find (or hoping something exists) the equivalate 1749va newer style turbo GTD or GTB that will bolt up to the 1Y or AAZ manifolds.

I have found this: https://gottuned.com/product/gtb175...m-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

But it is a turbo manifold combo and is custom and expensive. Also if it ever goes bad there will be no easy replacement. It'd be nice to find one that has a flange like the 1749va.

I am really just trying to see my options before I pull the trigger on the 1749va, which seems to be my best option for my goals. I don't want to end up in a situation 15 years from now where I can't get a replacement turbo, which seems to be common.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
A ton of the turbo info is confusing on the tdi and mercedes forums as many of these guys are building track or at least track style performance engines where they hit and maintain rpms near the redline. I'm running into similar issues finding a good turbo upgrade for an om602 I'm putting in the little ladies discovery 2.

Look for mtdi swaps in zuks, yotas and jeeps. See what turbo they are running.

I stuck with the bhw as the electronics are simple, it's already set up longitudinally and makes more power than I'll need in a sub 4500 lbs rig with just a tune. 300 ft lbs of torque at 1900 rpms is rough on a 10 inch clutch, I don't see the need to make it worse.

The only turbo I know of they toss on the bhw is the bv43.

@jimbote has a nice build on his yota swapped 1.9 frankenstein motor, his build is one you might want to look into. There's also a 1.9 in a Dakota build on here, he tows his boat with it and reports plenty of torque and power.
Thank you so much for this awesome info :) ! I will start looking into these guys swaps.

I know a bunch of these guys are using the 2056 and holset he200 but they are also not going VNT. Almost all of them say they have turbo lag until about 2200-2400 rpms.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
A tdi will run happily at 2800 to 3000 rpms all day long so long as you don't get too small of a turbo that it turns unto a hair dryer.

I can't remember who's build thread it was, maybe the fj40 tdi conversion, but it was mentioned using too big of injectors drove up the egts and smaller would help.

The mtdi set up plus the turbo and injector selection give so many variables. The consensus I've read of those who have built both tdi and mtdi motors was that it was easier to tune/run the tdi properly at all rpms/variables vs the mtdi.

With your light weight rig the r150 might be overkill. The w56 is very common/cheap and the gear transfer case has a nice selection of under drive gears. I think it's marks 4x4 of Australia sells under and over drive kits for the land cruiser split cases, im not sure they have over drive gears available for the w56 gear case. The w56 gear case is very popular with doublers in the 4runner/pickup/t100 world so they have lots of aftermarket vendors like inchworm, advanced adapters, marlin crawler etc.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ALH should have an 02J, and depending on its code, it should be
The stock 5th gear ratio in the 02J is .756.
The final drive is 3.389.

You can use this info in an online calculator to validate what you recall as far as RPMs at 70mph or whatever range you're after sorting out.

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
Wow you guys rev high, or I rev really low in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW swap I rev 2150rpm at 70mph according to my gps, my Speedo is 10% slow. I’m running a stage 2 Malone tune. My truck weighs 4000lbs. 6th gear ratio is 0.849 the axle ratio is 3.73 and I’m running 35s. I average 9.4l/100km, 25mpg.

I have pulled a 2700lb backhoe and it still pulls pretty good. I can still maintain 6th gear on flat ground at 60mph no problem. On some steep hills I end up needing to use 3rd gear at 3500rpm but it will maintain 55mph. The BHW has an EGT sensor from factory so the tune limits EGTs to 850°C.

The BHW turbo, GT1749VA on a stage 2 tune at 175HP 305ft/lb gets tuned for 22psi from about 1900rpm until around 3500rpm then the boost is reduced to 20psi which causes a bit of smoke.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your BHW is better suited for this kind of application since it's s TQ monster.....
If you look at a "comparable" st4 alh tune with a vnt17, it's only rated at 153hp/273tq which is a bit different than yours....

Last edited:

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
This is great info! Thank you so much!

My car weighs about half yours at 2800#, so maybe my EGT won't be terrible but I doubt it because I'll be setting at ~2800rpm where you are 2550rpm.

What max boost do you see from the 1749va?

I wish I could get a 0.69:1 5th. The best you can do in the sidekick is a 0.795:1 5th with 4.62s axle gears. I have thought about doing the R150 with 5th swap but it would require a lot of fab work on the trans tunnel/frame.

I am hoping to find (or hoping something exists) the equivalate 1749va newer style turbo GTD or GTB that will bolt up to the 1Y or AAZ manifolds.

I have found this: https://gottuned.com/product/gtb175...m-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

But it is a turbo manifold combo and is custom and expensive. Also if it ever goes bad there will be no easy replacement. It'd be nice to find one that has a flange like the 1749va.

I am really just trying to see my options before I pull the trigger on the 1749va, which seems to be my best option for my goals. I don't want to end up in a situation 15 years from now where I can't get a replacement turbo, which seems to be common.
I bet you would see significantly lower EGT's with the same engine setup I have. Much less weight, slightly higher rpms and slightly lower aerodynamic drag. I see about 100ºF decrease in EGT's at highway speed when I take the rooftop tent off.

The tune I have is set for a maximum of 22psi, but in reality I usually don't see much more than about 18psi since I rarely use much more than 75% throttle.

The 1749 I have has the triangular 3 bolt flange, the 1Y manifold is a square 4 bolt flange. I had to make an adapter to go between, and would love to find something slightly larger that would bolt directly to the manifold, preferably with a v-band exhaust outlet. If you don't have space constraints (I couldn't mount the turbo low like stock due to my steering shaft) then you could just use a BHW manifold and turbo.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow you guys rev high, or I rev really low in my 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW swap I rev 2150rpm at 70mph according to my gps, my Speedo is 10% slow. I’m running a stage 2 Malone tune. My truck weighs 4000lbs. 6th gear ratio is 0.849 the axle ratio is 3.73 and I’m running 35s. I average 9.4l/100km, 25mpg.

I have pulled a 2700lb backhoe and it still pulls pretty good. I can still maintain 6th gear on flat ground at 60mph no problem. On some steep hills I end up needing to use 3rd gear at 3500rpm but it will maintain 55mph. The BHW has an EGT sensor from factory so the tune limits EGTs to 850°C.

The BHW turbo, GT1749VA on a stage 2 tune at 175HP 305ft/lb gets tuned for 22psi from about 1900rpm until around 3500rpm then the boost is reduced to 20psi which causes a bit of smoke.
That BHW is a whole different beast! I really wish I could drop one into my LC instead of the ALH, but that is hard to justify at this point. A 6 speed transmission would also be really nice, one more gear to fill the large gap I have between 4th and 5th would be just perfect but there aren't a lot of options out there that would bolt up to my engine and transfer case.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Ending up getting a hold of XMAN turbos and he recommended the GTC1549vk, good for about 180hp. It bolts to the BHW manifold by elongating the bolt holes a smidge and is newer generation turbo.

He is awesome to work with and came highly recommended. Ordered the turbo, manifold and oil supply line with him! Plus the package deal was way cheaper than ordering the 1749va plus manifold anywhere else.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that gave me information in this thread! I wouldn't have been able to get to my final decision without your help.

Thank ya'll so so much!!