What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Took my '11 Sportwagen into the dealership again to have the DPF replaced again under the emissions warranty. Second one within 2 years. Next time it's going bye bye...!
Please tell: at what mileage did the DPF fail, and what are the signs? Does the CEL appear, and what are the codes? Is there any power loss?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I did mine when I was still in warrenty. About 50k miles and a year ago
HAHA, same! After the dealer f**ked up my door panel by kicking it in with something, I said f-it and swapped everything over from my 2010 JSW I still owned at the time. I learned that the CPO warranty doesn't mean squat. I ended up getting banned from service at that dealer anyways, because I got rear ended in the 2019 GTI they loaned me (not my fault, as the other person's insurance accepted full responsibility). That was a fun loaner, btw.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Please tell: at what mileage did the DPF fail, and what are the signs? Does the CEL appear, and what are the codes? Is there any power loss?
The first time it failed on my 2010 JSW, I don't remember. I know I got the blinking glow plug light on my instrument cluster. I also had that happen once for a faulty injector, which I replaced myself at my friend's shop (as it was out of powertrain warranty by then). Shame it wasn't an ALH - those injectors are both cheap and easy!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I just installed a set of Vland sequential LED taillights on my '10 Golf after my car slid down my mothers black ice covered driveway and into a tree on Christmas day. I wasn't in the car at the time, but my dog was. Fortunately, the drivers taillights took the brunt of the impact, and there wasn't much damage other than the destroyed lights. The sequential LED lights are very cool, I think they're basically the same as the euro Golf R lights. The "strobing/sequential" blinkers and hazards are the best part.

thatwhitejsw

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
I believe mine first failed around 50-60k mi, and now the second time around 85k-ish. Both times I got the P0401 code. There MAY be a bit of power loss but not really much that I could tell. Dealer just got back to me and they had to order more parts apparently, looks like the total will be about $2500 that I don't have to pay for haha. 😅

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
What did I do to my mk6... used it to bring home an ALH I pulled from the junkyard!

LOL I did similar thing but I loaded a Ford 302 block with pistons and crank in it and ported 289 cyc heads on back seats folded down in my old 2011 JSW and brought it home from Arkansas to Florida. It was a interesting experience when she was stock LOL

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
wow the sarcasm is strong in this one. lol. i could always see oil but couldnt find the culprit.
Lol actually no I wasn’t sarcastic. Hence why I said wow as it’s surprising to me as nobody posted it before about CJAA o-ring issue but now it’s due to the age and wear and tear….. hence you having the leak.

What year and how many miles on yours? (Looked on your profile but don’t see the year of it)

I will keep a eye on mine. No leak as of yet.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Lol actually no I wasn’t sarcastic. Hence why I said wow as it’s surprising to me as nobody posted it before about CJAA o-ring issue but now it’s due to the age and wear and tear….. hence you having the leak.

What year and how many miles on yours? (Looked on your profile but don’t see the year of it)

I will keep a eye on mine. No leak as of yet.
Yeah. I also won't post logs without erasing my Vin. Lol. 2012 159k. Deleted for like 50k. I've been reading these orings are problematic on older models. I did see an old thread about it. Looks pretty easy to change. Just messy.

Gotta get my dmf changed this spring. There's a member in the cities that'll do it less than half dealer cost.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. I also won't post logs without erasing my Vin. Lol. 2012 159k. Deleted for like 50k. I've been reading these orings are problematic on older models. I did see an old thread about it. Looks pretty easy to change. Just messy.

Gotta get my dmf changed this spring. There's a member in the cities that'll do it less than half dealer cost.
gotcha. Yeah that makes sense…. Yours being an older MK6. Plus sitting during the buyback process so those adds up quickly. My old 2011 JSW that I retired on June 2018 at 300k miles and nothing of the sort of the gaskets or o-rings ever leaked. That’s why I was surprised.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
gotcha. Yeah that makes sense…. Yours being an older MK6. Plus sittingduring buyback so those adds up quickly. My old 2011 JSW that I retired on June 2018 at 300k miles and nothing of the sort of the gaskets or o-rings ever leaked. That’s why I was surprised.
Mine sat for 3 years. Also looks like the something in the exhaust was replaced at 66k I got it 1/7/2020 with basically 92k on it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Note to self. Don't leave vag-com plugged in if you don't drive your car daily. Finally got enough charge into the battery and it did not want to stay running. I loaded the cylinders with fuel. I unintentionally fogged out my block. Luckily it was late so no one was out....

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
LOL I did similar thing but I loaded a Ford 302 block with pistons and crank in it and ported 289 cyc heads on back seats folded down in my old 2011 JSW and brought it home from Arkansas to Florida. It was a interesting experience when she was stock LOL
I'm going to assume that's a much bigger block than the CJAA?

majic12

TDI
2010 Golf 4dr TDI
Nice! How much did all of that set you back?

How do you like the tune?
Around $3600 total… I bought the parts myself for
timing belt at I’d parts for $450

the delete and Malone tune was $2450

shocks and struts were $950 and rear brakes were around $210

had all the work done at profi performance and am happy with everything

not sure this is always the case but for some reason this engine seems so tight now…

I had 136k miles on the Golf and the diesel warranty had just expired … the belts were pretty shot and glazed over with cracks in them timing belt was well rounded off

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to assume that's a much bigger block than the CJAA?
oh yes. it was a 1980 date V8 block. I loaded it on the back trunk floor. the trunk floor held up nicely. the block was facing on the trunk floor as the crank was facing the headliner with about 6" of clearance or more. (been a long time since I did that) and I placed the 289 heads on rear seats as it was folded down. gotta find a pic of that and post it on here. I was picking it up from a friend who sold it to me for my 89 Mustang project.

Tujeez

TDI
MK6 Golf

I think I'm having a similar issue on my 2012 with 95K. How did you realize it was the oil cooler O-ring? I noticed a bit of oil on my oil pan that looks like it was coming from the front of the engine.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I think I'm having a similar issue on my 2012 with 95K. How did you realize it was the oil cooler O-ring? I noticed a bit of oil on my oil pan that looks like it was coming from the front of the engine.
The splash sheild was wet. And right when I fired up I ran and looked. It only leaks with cold oil. And seals once the oil gets warmer. Although I'm running 0w-40 oil. It's pretty thick and I'm sure has very high oil pressure.
The 2 gaskets are pretty cheap and a very common leak spot.