Hard shift

JettaHayes

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
Hello fellow tdi owners! Question for you! I bought an 04 tdi with 210000 miles for 800 and now it’s giving me a hard shift to second and a slamming shift to third, I replaced all the nine solenoids in the tranny and flushed several times before installing them. What causes this condition

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need a new valve body. That would have saved you some time and money, too, since they come complete with all the solenoids already on them.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Actually, you said 9 solenoids, so most likely 09A instead...... I should pay attention since you don't like give all the details.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If your talking about the check engine light codes , no codes are showing
No, you're having TRANSMISSION problems, so I don't care about your ENGINE codes..... but Diagnostic Trouble Codes should exist in the transmission module if it's acting up. Do you have VCDS or any other diagnostic equipment?

Sample of what I'm asking about:
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09A-927-750.lbl
Part No: 09A 927 750 AM
Component: AG5 Getriebe 09A 0242
VCID: 76E8243152DC22E
1 Fault Found:
00300 - Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Usually when you have trans faults that SET not PENDING it will illuminate the CEL.

If you have access to a code scanner, check the transmission for pending codes such as intermittent shift faults.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would expect him to have some diagnostic tool if he's refilled the transmission several times, etc.
He would need to know fluid temps and such to do it properly.
G182, G68, G265 can all cause harsh shifts, etc. If we can't monitor\read anything, we can simply throw parts at it until we replace all the guts!

JettaHayes

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
No, you're having TRANSMISSION problems, so I don't care about your ENGINE codes..... but Diagnostic Trouble Codes should exist in the transmission module if it's acting up. Do you have VCDS or any other diagnostic equipment?

Sample of what I'm asking about:
Ok um when someone asks a question don’t assume they know as much as you! I’m a shade tree mechanic trying to spend the least amount of money to fix my car, sorry I don’t know all the acronyms used in the auto world . I guess I will have to go to a shop, thanks for your help tho!!!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're not clear on what someone says, ask.
I thought you wanted to fix\troubleshoot your problem, not worry about my lack of tact when attempting to help.

DTC has already been expanded on.

VCDS is what most of us who wrench on some of the lemons we drive is the diagnostic tool most commonly used.
Very powerful, and it's crucial in giving you insight to what you're dealing with.... and a good value.

There are training docs readily available if you know what to search for that will give you info on the other acronyms that we are throwing around. I have no idea of you level of aptitude, but when someone rips into a slushbox to replace solenoids, some of us assume some things. My bad!

When you want help, tell us as many details as possible. Engine and transmission codes, the fact that this is your first car and that you're a dentist who's always wanted to fix a heap, or whatever else we need to know.... we can't always read between the lines or guess correctly..... this is why people get all sideways because I'm a jack@$$.

So.... some reading that might help you ask the next question, if you choose to do so

If you are still wanting to go deeper into things, you need to start looking at service manuals. Sometimes those can be found with a bit of searching, or the easiest way is to purchase the exact documents that you're after from a place like Alldata, erWin, etc.

Anywhoo....... that should tie you up for a little or hit another nerve, or whatever. I tried.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Ok um when someone asks a question don’t assume they know as much as you! I’m a shade tree mechanic trying to spend the least amount of money to fix my car, sorry I don’t know all the acronyms used in the auto world . I guess I will have to go to a shop, thanks for your help tho!!!
Yes, most of us know our audience has a wide variety of knowledge. Everyone makes assumptions, but we try.

JettaHayes

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
If you're not clear on what someone says, ask.
I thought you wanted to fix\troubleshoot your problem, not worry about my lack of tact when attempting to help.

DTC has already been expanded on.

VCDS is what most of us who wrench on some of the lemons we drive is the diagnostic tool most commonly used.
Very powerful, and it's crucial in giving you insight to what you're dealing with.... and a good value.

There are training docs readily available if you know what to search for that will give you info on the other acronyms that we are throwing around. I have no idea of you level of aptitude, but when someone rips into a slushbox to replace solenoids, some of us assume some things. My bad!

When you want help, tell us as many details as possible. Engine and transmission codes, the fact that this is your first car and that you're a dentist who's always wanted to fix a heap, or whatever else we need to know.... we can't always read between the lines or guess correctly..... this is why people get all sideways because I'm a jack@$$.

So.... some reading that might help you ask the next question, if you choose to do so

If you are still wanting to go deeper into things, you need to start looking at service manuals. Sometimes those can be found with a bit of searching, or the easiest way is to purchase the exact documents that you're after from a place like Alldata, erWin, etc.

Anywhoo....... that should tie you up for a little or hit another nerve, or whatever. I tried.
Thanks your the best!!!