Catch can?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Are there any catch can kits for our cars?

mine is eating a ton of oil and I believe it might be from the CCV, new turbo didn’t make a difference

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The only way a ton of oil is making out though the ccv is via blown rings or something. There are many CCs that can be used or made. There are a few that some use but imo anything with large hoses are perfect. Imo it should never be a fix. Just a maintenance preventer for cars that are not port injected or carburetor. The only point is to stop the ports and valves from clogging up and unless you also delete your EGR... that's not going to stop. LSDF is fixing that but still.....

The best catch can by far is this
MACHSWON Oil Catch Can Stainless Filter Universal Provent Tank 200 Replacement Filter Turbo Diesel Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can 4WD Turbo Charge Diesel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FMN2B63/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_XQ1QG27T0S9HCYHG3VKY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's a knockoff of a higher priced one but this has a better mesh.
I run it in 3 cars of mine.

Why did you replace the turbo? And with what? You cant just toss expensive parts at a problem you or we dont understand.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
The only way a ton of oil is making out though the ccv is via blown rings or something. There are many CCs that can be used or made. There are a few that some use but imo anything with large hoses are perfect. Imo it should never be a fix. Just a maintenance preventer for cars that are not port injected or carburetor. The only point is to stop the ports and valves from clogging up and unless you also delete your EGR... that's not going to stop. LSDF is fixing that but still.....

The best catch can by far is this
MACHSWON Oil Catch Can Stainless Filter Universal Provent Tank 200 Replacement Filter Turbo Diesel Compact Baffled Oil Catch Can 4WD Turbo Charge Diesel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FMN2B63/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_XQ1QG27T0S9HCYHG3VKY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's a knockoff of a higher priced one but this has a better mesh.
I run it in 3 cars of mine.

Why did you replace the turbo? And with what? You cant just toss expensive parts at a problem you or we dont understand.
Warranty got me a new CP4, turbo, emissions stuff, MAF, other stuff and still not fixed so I’m doing it myself.

looking at doing a bunch of stuff to it and making it a car worth keeping.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Once again, the CRUA and CVCA engines are well known for oil consumption. This is probably the 10th thread on the topic. But they generally all fall within VAG's allowance of oil consumption (you think that's bad, imagine some of the VAG gassers that will empty the crankcase easily between services).

The allowable amount is .5L per 600 miles. Which is a lot. Most TDIs (even the thirsty 2015s) will not get that bad.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Once again, the CRUA and CVCA engines are well known for oil consumption. This is probably the 10th thread on the topic. But they generally all fall within VAG's allowance of oil consumption (you think that's bad, imagine some of the VAG gassers that will empty the crankcase easily between services).

The allowable amount is .5L per 600 miles. Which is a lot. Most TDIs (even the thirsty 2015s) will not get that bad.
mine is a quart every 3,000 miles, maybe more now.

when the low oil warning comes on is that a quart low or more?
mine was usually using 4 quarts between 10k oil changes.

even oil consumption issues aside I still want a catch can as I’m going to be venting the crank case to the ground and prefer not to have an oil drip like my MK4s did.

oilhammer

TDI
Solution in search of a problem. Why would you push the oil outside to an oily mess when it can just be pulled into the intake same as any other modern car?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Solution in search of a problem. Why would you push the oil outside to an oily mess when it can just be pulled into the intake same as any other modern car?
Engine runs on air not oil, oil gunks up the intake, makes the engine smoke, clogs the DPF, causes other issues. Now if after a few thousand miles with the catch can venting to the ground and no oil coming out I might route it into the intake. However I’m going to check first.

It’s also the same reason you don’t breathe your own farts on purpose.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Umm. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But engines don't run on air, they run on fuel. And a diesel, is in fact; an oil burner.

That being said, a cc on any turbocharged, direct injected engine is a good idea. But I bet it's burning more oil through rings than through the ccv.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Umm. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. But engines don't run on air, they run on fuel. And a diesel, is in fact; an oil burner.

That being said, a cc on any turbocharged, direct injected engine is a good idea. But I bet it's burning more oil through rings than through the ccv.
80k on my new 2014 before buy back and 96k on my brothers 2014, never burned any measurable amount of oil. Hell he had 27k on his last oil change as he was selling it back, didn’t move the level at all in that one hahaha. So no they shouldn’t burn oil but many do.

I’ve been meaning to put one on the car for a while now but it’s like 50% being cheap and 50% busy/lazy/dealer had it. Now I’m pissing money away on it to make it worth keeping and fun to drive so adding all the preventative maintenance/issue things.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Engine runs on air not oil, oil gunks up the intake, makes the engine smoke, clogs the DPF, causes other issues. Now if after a few thousand miles with the catch can venting to the ground and no oil coming out I might route it into the intake. However I’m going to check first.

It’s also the same reason you don’t breathe your own farts on purpose.
Clueless.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Saying that oil is not fuel to a TDI is cluelessness behavior.
Oil does not gunk up the intake. Exhaust unburnt soot fuel does. Oil is actually a solvent but when combined it will come things up. Deleting ccv would create way worse coke than deleting EGR.

oilhammer

TDI
Once again, the 2015s (completely different engine, unique for us to JUST the 2015.... CRUA and CVCA engine) are known to use some oil. Do not compare it to the older engines, they share no parts.

If some oil residue in the intake tract was a problem, every engine built since about 1973 is having issues... but guess what? They are not.

Again, solution in search of a problem.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
nope. 14 years of TDI owning has shown me a lot, plus quite a lot of time in the machine shop working on engines. Keeping the intake clean is never a bad thing
Want the intake clean? Delete the EGR. I only am running a cc because I'm pushing 40+ psi of boost. As stated. The problem is specific to that year.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Oh my bad, guess they changed over to an oil burning design later hahahahahaha. I didn’t realize I have a 2 stroke TDI.
Diesel is an oil. That's why we call diesels oil burners.
Your brothers had a different engine. Your year is a motor specific to that year, and were known for oil consumption. What you are describing is normal. Stupid, but normal.
The excessive oil isn't coming from the ccv system.
Go ahead and put a catch can on it. It won't solve your oil consumption issue.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Diesel is an oil. That's why we call diesels oil burners.
Your brothers had a different engine. Your year is a motor specific to that year, and were known for oil consumption. What you are describing is normal. Stupid, but normal.
The excessive oil isn't coming from the ccv system.
Go ahead and put a catch can on it. It won't solve your oil consumption issue.
I know.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Is it possible the pressure regulating valve on the cam cover is weak and allowing for excess blow-by..do you have a ton of oil in the turbo inlet pipe?
I believe the regulating valve is replaceable, as replacing the cam cover entirely means pulling injectors.
I've got a decent amount of blow-by on mine, and have thought about picking up a mishimoto can and secure it in the space between the airbox and battery. I don't have LP EGR feeding extra hot air through my turbo, but I'd still like to keep too much oil residue from collecting in the charge cooler.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Is it possible the pressure regulating valve on the cam cover is weak and allowing for excess blow-by..do you have a ton of oil in the turbo inlet pipe?
I believe the regulating valve is replaceable, as replacing the cam cover entirely means pulling injectors.
I've got a decent amount of blow-by on mine, and have thought about picking up a mishimoto can and secure it in the space between the airbox and battery. I don't have LP EGR feeding extra hot air through my turbo, but I'd still like to keep too much oil residue from collecting in the charge cooler.
" the CRUA and CVCA engines are well known for oil consumption " you have a different engine than op. The allowable amount is .5L per 600 miles.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
mine is a quart every 3,000 miles, maybe more now.

when the low oil warning comes on is that a quart low or more?
mine was usually using 4 quarts between 10k oil changes.

even oil consumption issues aside I still want a catch can as I’m going to be venting the crank case to the ground and prefer not to have an oil drip like my MK4s did.
if your eating that much oil, bring it in if your under warranty. Explain your situation.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
" the CRUA and CVCA engines are well known for oil consumption " you have a different engine than op. The allowable amount is .5L per 600 miles.
Eh, it's still an EA288 with very many shared parts right down to the piston rings. The cam cover is supposed to have greater CCV capacity, not my experience so far.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Eh, it's still an EA288 with very many shared parts right down to the piston rings. The cam cover is supposed to have greater CCV capacity, not my experience so far.
Regardless of the fine details or model number none of them are supposed to eat oil from the crank case.