WILL NOT CRANK!

Tonytavarez

TDI
Mk6
I am in hopes that you can help me. I have a Jetta TDI MK6 that will not crank. I have not driven my car or cranked my vehicle for about a month and it has been cooled(below 32 most weeks). Initially it seemed like the battery, so I replaced the battery. It would turn over, but it was hard to turn over and then the starter would no longer respond. I replaced the starter. It hard turned over again and now it will not turn over anymore. The vehicle was running perfect a month a go with only 95,000 miles on it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
lets stop tossing parts at it.
lets start by scanning it for any faults. Making sure there are no blow fuses or obvious mouse nests depending on where it was parked.
Battery charge can be off regardless of the battery being replaced.
It sounds to me that the battery was low on charge from sitting and now the security system is not letting it start..
scanning and going though a no start troubleshooting guide we have posted here (someone can post the link or you can search) is where i would start.
if its cold enough.. fuel could be jelled up OR the fuel filter is not primed anymore.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Fuel could be gelled. If it’s been sitting for a month and I assume it wasn’t driven much prior to that then the last fill up could have been in September ,October , before diesel was being treated for the extremely cold temperatures we are having now. -5 this morning in PA.

As for the slow turn, try removing the serpentine belt and starting it, after sitting for a while the ac compressor , alternator or idler pulley may be frozen with rust.

Tonytavarez

TDI
Mk6
0w30 oil. Serpentine belt is off and the crank will not move by hand and that’s with the starter off of the motor and manual transmission in neutral.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Please explain to me how gelled fuel could cause a no crank ?
The battery clearly was the no crank as it initially cranked after battery swap. But still wont start. Might be fuel. Maybe you missed the battery then starter parts prayer mechanic part of the first post.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
0w30 oil. Serpentine belt is off and the crank will not move by hand and that’s with the starter off of the motor and manual transmission in neutral.
If it wont move.... you have a seized engine in some way. Try taking the glow plugs out. Might be hydro locked. Nozzle or more could be leaking and you filled the bowls...
Pray it's just full of oil or fuel...
If it wont rotate back or forward at all by hand at the crank like you have it with glow plugs out..... remove valve cover and remove the timing belt. See if you can rotate the cam at all by hand with a leather covered pair of vice grips. Same with the crank. If the crank still wont budge once free from the timing belt... your engine is toast. You bent something.

Tonytavarez

TDI
Mk6
At this point I am bolting everything back together and putting it on a tow dolly. It has a an appointment at the dealership for the emissions warranty issue. I don’t know if timing belt would be part of the extended warranty that are on these vehicles.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This ain't going to be cheap! I'd be searching for a Guru .......... even if you have to drive/tow it long distance!