Help me fix an Unfixable code (p240f) CJAA

she_loves_the_D

Veteran Member
TDI
EA288 (mk7 tdi) kerma 1 million ftlb
Ok. So I have a tdi under warranty that has been throwing the P240f code on a cjaa dsg.
Long story short. VW cant figure it out so they are offering to buy my car (for half of market value). Id rather have my car back.
So maybe you nerds (in a good way ;)) can help me out.
----
Short story long.
first my car has 150k+ miles the warranty is the 44k mile extended tdi warranty from the lawsuits. covers all emissions.
About a year ago for the first time in the cars life. A cel popped up. It was for the intake runner. I guess they get stuck sometimes. So i brought it in.
They replaced it. When I picked up the car they told me they found a code for the DPF. Must have been a hidden code. It took a month to arrive and then i brought my car in and the replaced it. Sweet.
About 1000 miles later P240f rears its ugly head. And now a second dpf light.
I brought it in and it sat for about 2 weeks. then i get a call saying "word is on the streets they gone offer to buy your car". Huh?
A few days later i get a call from VWoA saying they determined that the issue was internal and that they needed to replace the ENGINE, turbo and DPF again. on top of that the parts are 3 months back ordered.
So they asked for info on my car and 2 weeks later came up with an offer. Less than half of what it would cost to buy another one (without a new engine). or 1/3rd the cost of the job they had quoted.
I told them most likely all that work wont fix it. and they are just wasting money. Asked for 2/3rds the cost to fix and they said f you well just fix it.
Sweet, new engine dpf turbo intake? I guess ill take it.
3 months and 14k later i get my car back.
1500 miles or so later. P240F
brought it in. Replaced egr and seals.
1000 miles later. P240F.
Now they deemed it a non fix and are offering half of what the car is worth again .
----
I can have them try and try again. But at this point i only have 2000 miles left on the warranty and I cant pass smog with that light on. And with it waiting 1500 miles to come back. I might get F'd.
I would love my basically new car back. Would hate to see it crushed for something that has no effect.

Q:
With all that being said. I have heard of that code showing up and fouling DPFs when there is a tiny crack in a charge pipe. They have not checked it.
If anybody has and ideas let me know.
I keep imagining a charge pipe coming loose at the connection and then when they take it apart and put it back together its seals for a while. then eventually comes back loose.

SOMEthing to note- When the code comes back after 1000 miles or so. Erasing it (with my scanner) only gets rid of it for about 10 or 15 miles. So to me the rules out faulty wiring. The fact that them replacing the egr seals only and not touching the DPF cleared it for a while would make me think that is something simple.
Never had an issue before the intake runner.

Thanks in advance diesel boys and girls.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I’m of no help, but hate to see you loose your shirt on this!
As a last ditch attempt, maybe so a delete and tune, and sell the car where that stuff won’t matter? You won’t take quite the bath on it that way, if it comes to having to sell it. Could it be a bad ECU? Bad wiring? If the code keeps coming back I’d say wiring ‘could’ be, as maybe it takes that long for the compute to do its math then the code?
Good luck

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Were forced to make alot of assumptions here. 2012 model? (10 years from in service date left on the warreny? )

VW offered 1/3 the $ of repairs $? What $ are repairs? What is the amount you were offered? What amount did you ask?

It seems those of us on the west coast are very disadvantaged finding experienced diesel repair. My experience the VW dealerships are the worse for the most part.

she_loves_the_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Were forced to make alot of assumptions here. 2012 model? (10 years from in service date left on the warreny? )

VW offered 1/3 the $ of repairs $? What $ are repairs? What is the amount you were offered? What amount did you ask?

It seems those of us on the west coast are very disadvantaged finding experienced diesel repair. My experience the VW dealerships are the worse for the most part.
Its a 2010 mk6. CJAA engine code. 2500 or so left on the tdi extended dieselgate warranty.
I was vague about the numbers on purpose.

she_loves_the_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you.
------------------------------------------------
(3.0 tdi)
Condition  MIL on. 
DTC P240F00 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Slow Response) is stored in the engine control module (ECM), J623 (address word 0001).
Technical Background EGR calibration improved to avoid slow response fault during high load/low rpm conditions. Production Solution EGR calibration optimized.
Service SVM Update Instructions
1. Follow all instructions in TSB 2011732: 00 Software Version Management (SVM), operating instructions.
2. Update the engine control module (ECM), J623 (address word 0001), using the SVM action code as listed in the table below if necessary
---------------------
2.0 tdi
EOBD II Error Code: P240F

Fault Location:
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System - Slow Response

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Calculated characteristic value > 20 at positive or negative air mass change.
-----------------------
P240f is triggered when the Bank 1 Warm Up Catalytic Converter's emissions reducing efficiency
has fallen below the minimum allowable threshold.
---------------------------

I have not seen anything on any of the write ups about them checking any connectors.
Also have not seen anything about the updating software or re calibrating the range for the allowable threshold.

Do you think a tuner could adjust it in a tune? like malone. I dont think kerma will do it. Not sure if any other places specialize in tdi's.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
If you live in a jurisdiction where a delete is lawful that's your best bet. And I'd wager Malone can work around that in any event.

she_loves_the_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately no. My jurisdiction sets the standards for emissions regulation across the country. Most strict and the biggest market. There for you all suffer.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sell it as is to someone that doesn't live in your draconian area, then they can delete it and enjoy it for many miles to come.

They really need to just figure out what is going on with your car and fix it. Granted, it will be temporary, but it may get you along a little while.

she_loves_the_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Selling it to vw btw. Multiple departments giving me different options with no communication with each other. Deemed unfixable. They wasted about 20k of vws $s just to not give me the extra 2k that i was asking for. Each email takes a week for them to respond and that equates to 250$ for the loaner. Had it for about 2 months while they faught me. Willing to spend unlimited funds just to short me.
Such an insult. Had to come out of pocket a few thousand to replace the car. They could've just bought me a brand new gti with what they spent fighting me over $2k.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Are you using a VCDS and can you actually see measuring blocks and do logs, or just some generic scanner?
It doesn't sound like the dealer\tech you're dealing with knows too much, but it also doesn't sound like you're making much effort on your end to "solve" the problem.... you're just after a buyback that you are ok with (at least that's how I read it).

Trying to solve\fix the problem is one thing.
Trying to fight VW for what your vehicle is worth (realistic or not) is a totally different thing.

george walker

TDI
2014 vw beetle tdi
Just fixed my 2014 TDI beetle have a P2002 code and the P240F code been trying to fix it on my own for the last week or so. I thought maybe this would help someone needs it. Replaced the Front and rear sensors for DPF that didn’t solve the issue. The car runs great and I could hear the regeneration cycle happening normally. On the scanner tool it read EGR response slow, so I Google EGR sensor on my car and I came up with what the dealer calls a converter valve Or turbo boost valve that’s on the firewall so I changed it along with the air filter and everything seems to be working fine. Just some info that may help someone.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
This can be related to a bad/weak maf or boost leak.
Give the guys a call at kermatdi or info@kermatdi.com and theymay be able to offer additional pointers based on other factors

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
My car has this and the dealership couldn’t fix it and I gave up on them.

is fully deleting and tuning this the best way to fix it? I have a 15 Golf with the EA288/6spd

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Where is VW coming up with this option to purchase the car from you rather than fix it as required by the settlement?

I’d also hope that the title for this gets branded in some way that it doesn’t end up back on an auction block to screw over somebody else if they were to offer up full price to make their own problem go away.

Have you tried other dealers?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I got 3-4k worth of no cost to me parts/fixes from it.
you’re still stuck with a turd of a car and if you had removed those parts you wouldn’t have needed the fixes.

100+ days last year at the dealer and still wasn’t fixed, registration lapsed and I still had to drive it 2100 miles for training. Now it’s getting 32mpg on the highway.
Juuuuuuuuuunk.

Oh and it still eats a quart of oil every 3,000 miles instead of every 4,000 when I first gave it to them in 2021.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
you’re still stuck with a turd of a car and if you had removed those parts you wouldn’t have needed the fixes.

100+ days last year at the dealer and still wasn’t fixed, registration lapsed and I still had to drive it 2100 miles for training. Now it’s getting 32mpg on the highway.
Juuuuuuuuuunk.

Oh and it still eats a quart of oil every 3,000 miles instead of every 4,000 when I first gave it to them in 2021.
Reminds me. I need to check my oil.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
No-cost-to-owner turds are still better than turds that cost your out of pocket. I'm sure all the extra MPGs you'll pick up will pay for the deletes in only a few years.... oh yeah, that's assuming that nothing else that would've been otherwise covered craps out during that time! Keep us posted and educated!

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
No-cost-to-owner turds are still better than turds that cost your out of pocket. I'm sure all the extra MPGs you'll pick up will pay for the deletes in only a few years.... oh yeah, that's assuming that nothing else that would've been otherwise covered craps out during that time! Keep us posted and educated!
Oh ya I’ll really need that emissions warranty when the emissions equipment goes out…. Oh wait Hahahh.

Also, If I wanted cheap and economic I’d buy a car worh spark plugs.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Yep, once it is deleted and tuned you won't need any warranty anyway. Lots of people get tired of learning the entire dealer staff on a first name basis.
Exactly. If one is so afraid of problems then you’re driving junk and need a new vehicle.

I left the local dealer near my training base and he said the MAF is bad, new one will be here Friday and that will fix it. Or so they say.
I feel better about this new dealership tho, I’ll have to leave a 6 pack in it for the guy when I drop it off.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yep, once it is deleted and tuned you won't need any warranty anyway. Lots of people get tired of learning the entire dealer staff on a first name basis.
I've never had my car down. The odd electrical quirk.. but I've never even met the service staff

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
You must be deleting the whole fuel system and GPs and stuff too.
No need to.

so you selling yours soon as that useless warranty is over?

I've never had my car down. The odd electrical quirk.. but I've never even met the service staff
Unfortunately the old phrase “if you want it done right you’ll have to do it yourself” is very true. If I wasn’t being cheap and lazy I never would have any issues at all.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No need to.

so you selling yours soon as that useless warranty is over?

Unfortunately the old phrase “if you want it done right you’ll have to do it yourself” is very true. If I wasn’t being cheap and lazy I never would have any issues at all.
I agree with that 100%. More like if you want to know it's done correctly, do it yourself. And buy once cry once.
And do it right away instead of waiting.