Coolant flange gasket needed- Where to order from

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
Have a leaky coolant flange gasket on a 2003 Jetta TDI ALH 1.9 engine. Who and where would you recommend to get the gasket. Thanks !! Dennis

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Any of the online vendors here , Hera are at least two that I use…. There are more….

idparts.com
metalmanparts.com

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Coolant Flange on the end of the head for the upper radiator hose does not use a Gasket per se. It uses a black rubber seal like an O-ring which fits in a groove on the flange!

Tip: Be easy removing the bolts! Also, when going back together, make sure you tighten the two bolts evenly as it is very easy to break the flange!

Below, you can see the repaired coolant flange ........ almost 10 years ago!

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
Coolant Flange on the end of the head for the upper radiator hose does not use a Gasket per se. It uses a black rubber seal like an O-ring which fits in a groove on the flange!

Tip: Be easy removing the bolts! Also, when going back together, make sure you tighten the two bolts evenly as it is very easy to break the flange!

Below, you can see the repaired coolant flange ........ almost 10 years ago!

Awesome !! Thanks for the info !! I suspected an O-ring by the way the leak is behaving.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I ordered the whole housing for my mk6 then ran to the dealer for an $8 o-ring. Ecs tuning also has the upgraded cast ones.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I think the 03 ALH and back all have the Aluminum coolant flange. The engines I have, in cars and hoarded, 2000 thru 2003 all have the Aluminum flange. Those for sale on eBay do not have the groove, so, I guess a regular gasket would have to be used! Seems I've never seen anything Aluminum on the Gasser engines of that era, all black plastic which easily distorts if the engine over-heats.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The ALH has an aluminum side flange with manual transmission, plastic with an automatic. I don't reuse a plastic flange, they distort and fail. I also only use original VW plastic flanges. I've had bad luck with the aftermarket ones.
Well, after making my last post, automatics come to mind with respect to plastic .. And, as you know, automatics did not come with the coolant Glow Plug Heaters.

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the 03 ALH and back all have the Aluminum coolant flange. The engines I have, in cars and hoarded, 2000 thru 2003 all have the Aluminum flange. Those for sale on eBay do not have the groove, so, I guess a regular gasket would have to be used! Seems I've never seen anything Aluminum on the Gasser engines of that era, all black plastic which easily distorts if the engine over-heats.
Yes, definitely aluminum.

dcjkrueger

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, aluminum on mine