What did you do to your MKIV today?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nice!

I got my new Michelin Cross Climates mounted on Avus 1s and on the car. I only took a quick drive in the rain, but they feel nice. Very smooth, they appear to be round, and I think they're quiet. I'll know better when I drive them in the dry. I left the pressures a little on the high side as it's in the low 40s here today and it's supposed to get down to near 0F tomorrow night.

While my car was at Kraftwerke Chris also replaced the hose from the vacuum pump to booster. I was occasionally getting a hard pedal after the car sat for a while. I understand there's a one-way valve in that line that can fail with time. I have no idea how old the hose on my car is. Don't know if it fixed the problem. If it didn't I'll go about replacing all the vacuum lines.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Nice!

I got my new Michelin Cross Climates mounted on Avus 1s and on the car. I only took a quick drive in the rain, but they feel nice. Very smooth, they appear to be round, and I think they're quiet. I'll know better when I drive them in the dry. I left the pressures a little on the high side as it's in the low 40s here today and it's supposed to get down to near 0F tomorrow night.

While my car was at Kraftwerke Chris also replaced the hose from the vacuum pump to booster. I was occasionally getting a hard pedal after the car sat for a while. I understand there's a one-way valve in that line that can fail with time. I have no idea how old the hose on my car is. Don't know if it fixed the problem. If it didn't I'll go about replacing all the vacuum lines.
Never a bad idea to replace those lines, is hard to tell when you may have a cracked one because of the braided the cloth over the lines. Never was a fan of that.

But I'd pull that line to your vac pump nipple and hook a mighty vac directly to the pump. Start the car and verify that the pump is healthy (should almost instantly build 28-30)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Nice!

Peter - I'm interested in your feedback on the Cross Climate's after you get some more miles on them. I put a set on this summer.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I had a glow plug crap out on me. I think they have only been installed a year or year and a half at this point. OEM Bosch's. I usually replace all 4, but said what the hell this time and only replaced the dud (I purchased 5 a while back just in case). We'll see how long it lasts or if the others start popping.

I also have been logging more with updated tunes. This car is getting scary (fun) fast...Although my head has to be on a swivel with logging, there's not a lot of "appropriate" places to test this stuff out around me...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yesterday froze my a$$ off changing my daughter fuel filter on her NB….. I keep records of everything we have done to her car since I bought it for her in a book we keep in her car……damn if I could find when or if I changed it…..temps supposed to drop into single digits and she has a camera class early in the morning 35 miles away…….even with double dosing the fuel I’ve had them still gell up….. if it hasn’t been changed …..it’s got close to 85,xxx miles on that filter and 7 years…….😱😱.
I can sleep better now…😳

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I also have been logging more with updated tunes. This car is getting scary (fun) fast...Although my head has to be on a swivel with logging, there's not a lot of "appropriate" places to test this stuff out around me...
lol yeah keep an out out for the PO-PO……red and blue don’t look good in the review…….🤣

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
What'd I do to my mk4 - got 3 new tires put on and an alignment done at Firestone (gotta love that lifetime alignment deal). Also learned that my rear torsion bar is pretty much f**ked up. I have a spare I bought when I had the BEW (it came from Quebec, so it had A LOT of corrosion originally). Never swapped it out, but I guess I have a use for it now. Just need to order some FAG wheel hubs and find time next week.

And what did I do on the junkyard's mk4? Pulled an 11mm IP, injectors, hold downs, and other goodies. I'm hoping to head back tomorrow to pull the block and head, as a possible rebuild candidate for my Ute (because it needs its engine rebuilt). I've got it down to a science being able to pull the IP and injectors out in about 45 minutes, usually without disturbing the TB.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
These wee beasties are most certainly missing the angry bellow of the Cummins when its 7-blade, HX35 comes up to pressure though.
The rattle, the roar, 40psi!!!! Man this makes me miss the Dodge, I need to put my 12 valve back together! Mind you, it’s not HX35 anymore, HE351CW for the ol truck and dang she spools fast..!
Uh oh, that there looks suspiciously like bragging.. oops! Haha

Anyway, I didn’t do this today but last Friday on my way home with the TDI I happened to notice voluminous grey/blue clouds in my rear view mirror, pulled over fearing the worst and found oil leaking all over the front of the engine. Turns out it was coming from where the plastic dipstick tube meets the the metal tube. Will be ordering a replacement along with my injection pump seals, park brake cables, ABS sensor and I recently learned about our alternator pulleys... so yeah, I got me some fixin to do. Lol

Jude

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
The shifter out of my 4Motion donor car made a hideous squeaking noise. So, I took advantage of having the whole thing in front of me and I rebuilt it by ordering a new shaft and two individual bushings. Most of the individual bushings that places like DieselGeek sell come on a new shaft. The bushings inside on the shift cables were perfect, so I didn't need to mess with those. All that's remaining is to replace the ample amount of the original lubrication that I had to remove.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
The rattle, the roar, 40psi!!!! Man this makes me miss the Dodge, I need to put my 12 valve back together! Mind you, it’s not HX35 anymore, HE351CW for the ol truck and dang she spools fast..!
Uh oh, that there looks suspiciously like bragging.. oops! Haha

Anyway, I didn’t do this today but last Friday on my way home with the TDI I happened to notice voluminous grey/blue clouds in my rear view mirror, pulled over fearing the worst and found oil leaking all over the front of the engine. Turns out it was coming from where the plastic dipstick tube meets the the metal tube. Will be ordering a replacement along with my injection pump seals, park brake cables, ABS sensor and I recently learned about our alternator pulleys... so yeah, I got me some fixin to do. Lol

Jude
40 psi - pffft :)

If your engine cover is missing, that's a likely root cause of the dipstick tube breaking. Put it back on and put these on while you're at it (or get them from a junk yard). Seriously, one of my favorite and most appreciated modifications

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"If your engine cover is missing, that's a likely root cause of the dipstick tube breaking "

Lol, about the only good reason I can think of for that cover. Point taken though, its absence does put some flex pressure
on that joint. I haven't come up with a good way to zip tie it :), not yet anyway.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Tonight I took my passenger seat out of my bug after I picked up a stray (ish) golden doodle that was on the side of the road. As i was on my way to meet my brother to pick up a snowmobile for him. She was a super sweet dog, but scared to death as her buddy (doodle, not her human) got creamed by a car before me. Took her on a trip, bought the sled, then brought her home and inside to warm up. Once home i found she had pee'd on the leather seat (poor thing was scared). Took the seat out of the car so it didn't freeze, brought it in, and detailed it before leaving it in front of the fire a ways away to completely dry out from the cleaner and such. Long story short within a couple hours i was able to get my number to the owner, and i was able to get the dog returned to her not to long after. What shall i be doing tomorrow?.... Installing my freshly cleaned pasenger Seat😄.
Over all a good ending to a night, but man what a night!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Tonight I took my passenger seat out of my bug after I picked up a stray (ish) golden doodle that was on the side of the road. As i was on my way to meet my brother to pick up a snowmobile for him. She was a super sweet dog, but scared to death as her buddy (doodle, not her human) got creamed by a car before me. Took her on a trip, bought the sled, then brought her home and inside to warm up. Once home i found she had pee'd on the leather seat (poor thing was scared). Took the seat out of the car so it didn't freeze, brought it in, and detailed it before leaving it in front of the fire a ways away to completely dry out from the cleaner and such. Long story short within a couple hours i was able to get my number to the owner, and i was able to get the dog returned to her not to long after. What shall i be doing tomorrow?.... Installing my freshly cleaned pasenger Seat😄.
Over all a good ending to a night, but man what a night!
I suppose when you fart you blame it on the dog also

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
40 psi - pffft :)

If your engine cover is missing, that's a likely root cause of the dipstick tube breaking. Put it back on and put these on while you're at it (or get them from a junk yard). Seriously, one of my favorite and most appreciated modifications

Hahaha hey now, I said 40psi because that’s about all you can safely squeeze from that lil HX35 lol. Actually the HE351 used to max out my 60psi gauge almost instantly before I got the wastegate set properly ;)

About the engine cover, that’s not great news as I don’t have one, was missing when I got the car. I also am not really a fan of how they look, maybe I’ll have to build a bracket to stabilize the dipstick tube..?
Golly, maybe one day I’ll get caught up on all the issues with this car haha

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yesterday I resealed my 10mm pump. I'll be putting it back on the golf and then selling the 11mm, which i just resealed. Then next week, I'll be trading the golf for a first gen Tacoma. I'll miss the old thing, but I think it's a good trade for both of us.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Although, if you'd let it freeze, you coulda knocked it out with an ice scraper.:LOL:
If i still didn't have my new trans in the back i would've put her back there but only the front was available. I put a towel down but it wasn't enough I guess.
I had 2 options: Leave it and wait for the next time my fiancé and I go somewhere and let her find out once the heated seat kicks in. Or I could pull it now before it froze, and keep my fiancé happy lol. Tho I'm not married yet i figure happy wife happy life still applys😄

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yesterday I resealed my 10mm pump. I'll be putting it back on the golf and then selling the 11mm, which i just resealed. Then next week, I'll be trading the golf for a first gen Tacoma. I'll miss the old thing, but I think it's a good trade for both of us.
That sounds so sad yet really exciting! An old Tacoma is on my bucket list of vehicles to own.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Seems like those 11mm pumps are getting harder to find. I'm thinking that I may convert my 10mm to an 11. I have the spare parts from an 11mm that's a paperweight, but the parts I need from it are all good. There's just a couple of questions I'm trying to verify with DFIS.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
TDI in the future of that Taco?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems like those 11mm pumps are getting harder to find. I'm thinking that I may convert my 10mm to an 11. I have the spare parts from an 11mm that's a paperweight, but the parts I need from it are all good. There's just a couple of questions I'm trying to verify with DFIS.
You gotta look for them in the midwest. Cars don't last as long around here, I see 11mm's quite often.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
TDI in the future of that Taco?
Probably not. It's got the 2.7 liter engine and only 120k miles. That and it's a 4x4, extended cab and isn't all rusted out...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yeah, I got this one with a parts car that was an auto. That's the nice thing, the autos don't last as long and so it's easier to find them in the junkyard or for a decent price..

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Hahaha hey now, I said 40psi because that’s about all you can safely squeeze from that lil HX35 lol. Actually the HE351 used to max out my 60psi gauge almost instantly before I got the wastegate set properly ;)

About the engine cover, that’s not great news as I don’t have one, was missing when I got the car. I also am not really a fan of how they look, maybe I’ll have to build a bracket to stabilize the dipstick tube..?
Golly, maybe one day I’ll get caught up on all the issues with this car haha
Just giving you a hard time :)

You can sometimes find an engine cover in a junkyard, or build a bracket of some sort, or just keep a few spare dipstick tubes around, they're only a few $ each (that's likely the most cost effective option...)

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Just giving you a hard time :)

You can sometimes find an engine cover in a junkyard, or build a bracket of some sort, or just keep a few spare dipstick tubes around, they're only a few $ each (that's likely the most cost effective option...)
Oh haha no worries.

I took a glance at it today and looks like it wouldn’t be hard to bend up a little bracket and bolt it onto the head of the injection pump with those two little screws that hold the bracket for the pump wiring, but now that you mention it yeah, the tube is like $3 from Roseland, so probably not worth building a bracket.
Although if I have time I might do it anyway just because that’s the way I am lol

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Learned a tough lesson yesterday.
Double check tuning files before they are loaded onto the car.

Have been working tuning the Golf after all of the upgrades. Getting extremely close. It has taken a lot of logging and back and forth conversations, as well as files to get this thing dialed in, but it's a fun process.

Files need to be checksumed before they can be loaded onto the ECU. The coding in the files was so that the checksumed file names started with an "X". Well, unfortunately I forgot to look for this when I loaded a file yesterday and loaded one that had not been checked. Well, it loaded ok, but put my car into a no-start condition. I could not re-load, the software was telling me there was a security error. What this means? I bricked my ECU.

So it was off to the races for how to solve this. Lots of Googling, and TONS of help from @burpod, as well as a lot of frustration and the problem is resolved and I have a car again. I was trying to resolve this on the car and it just wouldn't work.

So last resort was to build a bench harness and reboot the ECU on the bench. Not a fun process.

Gotta remove the guts of the ECU:

Then need to build yourself a bench harness to attach to your MPPS cable and ECU:

This process requires you to ground Pin 24, which is the 2nd pin from the left on the upper row of the chip (It's a bit more involved than that...):

Here's the full setup of what I was working with. Out in the garage because I needed my car battery for 12V power:

Needless to say, it's all together and working again. Not a fun process but at least I know what to do in case this accidentally happens again, but I will be more cognizant in the future to check the file names that's for sure!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Egads! Quite a saga, and a process, hats off to ya' for having the skills to get it together.
First, finding the problem; Second, fixing it!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Egads! Quite a saga, and a process, hats off to ya' for having the skills to get it together.
First, finding the problem; Second, fixing it!
Thank you.
It for sure was a saga.

Also when this happened, my car was outside. Usually when I switch tunes, I pull it into the garage for this exact reason. But I hadn't had this issue at all with any of the other ones so I figured I could just do it outside (which I had done plenty of times).

That being said, I couldn't move the car. It's been raining and cold, we're talking inches of rain out here. Luckily I have a 10x10 pop-up tent and I was able to cover enough to keep dry, so none of the electronics were subjected to the rain while I was doing all the work.

I had to connect two sets of jumper cables together, so I could get 12 volts into the garage, where I could work where it was dry with the computer!