Factory Xenon headlight. Any other options?

musky48

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. 2003 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know of replacement headlights for the factory Xenon lights that can bet set up to not throw error messages? I need a passenger assembly but for what a used one costs may just be better to buy both new aftermarket and sell the good one. I realize i would have to wire a new plug but wasn't sure about getting rid of error messages. Any insight much appreciated.
Thanks,

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
As far as I know if you have factory xenon’s your simple options are replace in kind or recode the BCM for halogens. The recode requires VCDS and instructions are on the Ross Tech site/ forums. Repinning a connector should be straightforward with the correct tool and a wiring diagram. I probably can find a diagram if you need it.

Sorry to hear, what happened?

musky48

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. 2003 Jetta TDI
I just bought a car that had the passenger light broke. The price of these are insane. I have VCDS. I may look on rosstech for the instructions and diagrams. I even have the connections for halogen lights from a parts car I bought. Thanks for the reply.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Ohhhhhhh man!! $1150 shipped - My finger is twitching!!
I have a set, I personally do not recommend it. It's not as bright as the stock Halogen headlight units. I had to upgrade the ballast and the bulbs from d8s to d3s, 25w to 35w which made a nice improvement. However the most common issue w/ these headlights is that the lens shakes horribly! I've tried many ways to fix it and I just accepted having ****ty shaking lens.

0/10, do not recommend.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I have a set, I personally do not recommend it. It's not as bright as the stock Halogen headlight units. I had to upgrade the ballast and the bulbs from d8s to d3s, 25w to 35w which made a nice improvement. However the most common issue w/ these headlights is that the lens shakes horribly! I've tried many ways to fix it and I just accepted having ****ty shaking lens.

0/10, do not recommend.
Dang!! Thanks for the heads up, the twitch is suddenly gone...

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Dang!! Thanks for the heads up, the twitch is suddenly gone...
Here's my post about upgrading the bulb and ballast for the OSRAM headlight.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen

0/10, do not recommend.
I installed mine over the Christmas holiday...absolutely love them. I may eventually do the 25w to 35w upgrade, but for now, they beat the hell out of stock headlights...

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I installed mine over the Christmas holiday...absolutely love them. I may eventually do the 25w to 35w upgrade, but for now, they beat the hell out of stock headlights...
If you have access to a pick n pull junkyard, go grab a set of ballasts and HID bulbs as they are dirt cheap from there. I cannot stress the 25w to 35w upgrade is literally night and day difference and I couldn't be happier. I would have sold my OSRAM headlights if the upgrade were not benefitical.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I had a custom builder assemble a set of OEM Style HID Retrofits for me. Couldn’t be happier.

They are built with:
  • New TYC OEM Replica Housings
  • Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 Projectors
  • Morimoto 4000k Bulbs
  • Hylux 2a88 35w Ballasts.
Above: The light has a very light blue tone at the edge of the cutoff but overall the light is not as blue as it appears.

Speedmaster_102

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I had a custom builder assemble a set of OEM Style HID Retrofits for me. Couldn’t be happier.

They are built with:
  • New TYC OEM Replica Housings
  • Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 Projectors
  • Morimoto 4000k Bulbs
  • Hylux 2a88 35w Ballasts.
Above: The light has a very light blue tone at the edge of the cutoff but overall the light is not as blue as it appears.

I saw your post over on vwvortex. Did you do the retrofit? How was it? Do the lens shake? Im looking to get rid my OSRAM and retrofit my own headlights.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I saw your post over on vwvortex. Did you do the retrofit? How was it? Do the lens shake? Im looking to get rid my OSRAM and retrofit my own headlights.
I was inspired by the post on VWVortex, however I can't take the credit for that conversion. I had a builder I found on instagram assemble them for me. No shaking. The light is wonderful. I know its not possible but I felt like we could "out run" the factory lights even with LED bulbs. These produce nice white light, FAR down the road and a nice clean cut-off.

The guy can be contacted through instagram via tc_customlighting.

Since he builds the lights custom and based on available retrofit options I will leave the pricing to him.