Golf fog light retrofit kit

dobeonguard

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDi
My Golf S doesn’t have fog lights and was looking for a kit to do a retrofit. Any recommendations? I did Morimoto retrofit LED fogs on my WRX and they are awesome.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
Any luck? I remember for the MkV that a parts list with a detailed how-to was published here (in 2005).

Maybe I should look at VWVortex?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
If you want an OEM retrofit you will have to switch your BCM. The low BCM in the Golf S doesn't have the pins for fog lights.

If you are going to add fogs with a separate switch then of course that doesn't matter. You'll need a switch and relay.

I can add the parts list for the lights and bumper brackets later when I get a chance to go through my old info. I did the fog light retrofit on my S.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
BCM… beam control module? As in replace the switch? I’ve been out of the TDI game for so long, I feel like a noob again.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Body control module. Believe it's the ccm. You can add them easily. And wire them with relay through a headlight switch. But for it to be "factory" a high line CCM must be installed. And the fog light wires must be wired to the CCM. It's time consuming.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Body control module. Believe it's the ccm. You can add them easily.
To be clear, I think @DivineChaos is saying that retrofitting fog lights can be done easily, but replacing the BCM and routing and fitting the appropriate wires...that's a bit (as in a LOT) more work. But out is factory.
BCM is located under the dash, kinda up / around the steering column, so access and working in that area with wiring is a challenge (which @Cuzoe enjoys. :D )

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for defining the acronym. I think the A5 job took 3-3.5 hours. I suspect this is a day's labor requiring a sixer at the end.

I feel like Han Solo coming out of carbonite hibernation. I've been out of it for a little while, and all of a sudden Kerma is an actual brick and mortar company.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I should add that, having factory fog lights standard on my car, if you're looking for much better lighting, fog lights don't really cut it. They throw a bit more light into the ditches, but the improvement was so minor that I just put some LEDs in there and coded them to be additional DRLs.)
If you want good light, looking into retrofitting the main headlight housings. Osram has a really sharp-looking (and functioning) LED iteration.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I should add that, having factory fog lights standard on my car, if you're looking for much better lighting, fog lights don't really cut it. They throw a bit more light into the ditches, but the improvement was so minor that I just put some LEDs in there and coded them to be additional DRLs.)
If you want good light, looking into retrofitting the main headlight housings. Osram has a really sharp-looking (and functioning) LED iteration.
Agreed. I even have euro style, OEM protector lense with an hid kit. Not much diff in fog. It's more of a looks thing now. I just have them wired to the switch. Although the wires are run to the CCM. I don't have the highline module. It took me about 4 hours to wire, only to realize I didn't have the appropriate CCM.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Nothing to add really except, pedantically, that our cars don't have a CCM (which would be a module at address 46). We have a BCM, address 09.

CCM would be Central Convenience Module, whose functions were integrated with the Central Electronics Control Module (CECM) at some point. The combined module is the BCM.

Edit: It is certainly not un-true that I like working/wiring in that area. The BCM isn't that bad, the plugs can be pulled right down when you remove the driver side kickpanel. The Gateway, which is above the steering column, is a pain unless you remove the lower dash (which is just screws and clips, but annoying).

You don't have to do anything with the gateway for an OEM fog retrofit. But iirc you do have to add a wire from the headlight light switch to the BCM. In addition to the wiring from the BCM to each fog light.

Last edited:

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! Guess I'm gonna have to do it. I've taken apart a few dashes. Just need to compile the parts list. Are we still using "VAG dash Com" (VCDS) on the Mk7s or some other interface? Sold (or gave away) my old VAG cable years ago.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Nothing to add really except, pedantically, that our cars don't have a CCM (which would be a module at address 46). We have a BCM, address 09.

CCM would be Central Convenience Module, whose functions were integrated with the Central Electronics Control Module (CECM) at some point. The combined module is the BCM.

Edit: It is certainly not un-true that I like working/wiring in that area. The BCM isn't that bad, the plugs can be pulled right down when you remove the driver side kickpanel. The Gateway, which is above the steering column, is a pain unless you remove the lower dash (which is just screws and clips, but annoying).

You don't have to do anything with the gateway for an OEM fog retrofit. But iirc you do have to add a wire from the headlight light switch to the BCM. In addition to the wiring from the BCM to each fog light.
Ah. I've seen CCM, cecm, and bcm. I thought it was one in the same. Confusing.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks! Guess I'm gonna have to do it. I've take apart dashes. Just need to compile the parts list. Are we still using "VAG dash Com" (VCDS) on the Mk7s or some other interface? Sold (or gave away) my old VAG cable years ago.
Yeah it's still vcds. Vag com. But it's a newer one than needed for mk5 and mk6.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
If anyone has some links for how-to's on swapping out (upgrading) BCMs, please post. I don't mean the physical aspect as much as issues associated with saving the original BCM coding/data, component protection, possible part numbers, use of one from a salvage vehicle, etc. I have a few threads saved from the UK Mk7 forum and the vortex, but none are comprehensive, and they have conflicting information. End state is to activate heated seats already installed in (her) '15 GSW S. TIA.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Yes you definitely want the latest interface. And as was mentioned before, you will want to check the BCM (Plug B) for pins 5 and 45. If you don't have these pins you need to upgrade your BCM.

Your best bet with determining the correct replacement part number is the dealer, unless you have ETKA access. ETKA will only list the high version, which will be listed as the replacement for every lower version (including your part number). New or used doesn't matter too much. Once you have your new or used BCM the fun begins...

1) Take an autoscan AND adaptation map of your existing BCM. Make at least one backup of this info. At the end of everything you can compare this to the scan and ad-map of your new BCM to make sure everything is correct.
- As an aside, you should keep a backup autoscan and ad-map of every module in your car if you plan to do any coding tweaks and/or retrofits.

2) My recommendation is have the dealer do the replacement. I removed the driver side kickpanel and lower dash panel myself. Left the new BCM in a box in the passenger seat for them. They quoted me 4 hours I think.
- BCM replacement is a guided function so there should be no problem. My experience was different as they did not follow the guided function so I had to make several trips to the dealer until they actually follow the guided function and then everything worked perfectly.
- Included in the guided functions will be removal of component protection, pairing your keys/immo long coding, and crucially, properly setting all the adaptation map channels. There are 2500+ channels. The dealer's tools will set all of these automatically.
- If they are not set properly expect to have all types of weird false popping up or things just not working right. Most noticeably expect a dash full of light bulb errors.

3) Pick up your car, simple checks that can be done in the parking lot of the dealer... make sure key fob(s) work, turn on your lights And make sure there are no faults.

4) When you get home do an auto scan and take an adaptation map of the BCM. First you should not see any BCM related errors in the auto scan (No errors that didn't exist in the scan you took before the BCM replacement that is). Make sure the long coding matches.

5) Strongly recommend using WinMerge (free program) compare the adaptation map of your new BCM to your original. WinMerge can export a differences file that will show all 2500+ channels side by side. Everything on the new one should match the old one.
- The only differences you should see are the additional channels present on the new (high) BCM that were not present on your original low BCM.

6) Profit, I guess.

Now I will take the time to regale you with an abbreviated but still long tale of my dealer experience. They did not follow the guided replacement function so adaptations were not done. They lacked an understanding of what adaptations even were (which which is of course the reason they are supposed to follow the guided function).

At one point they argued that some things in my car just wouldn't work properly anymore because of the different BCM part number. This despite that they are the ones who looked up the BCM part number for me and I purchased the BCM from them.

Eventually I emailed the Service Advisor the adaptation map difference report from WinMeege, as visual explanation of the problem that I had myself identified, which was allegedly forwarded to VW Engineering 🙄.

Shortly after that one of their "sharpest" offered to manually match the adaptations for me. Using VCDS which is of course not a dealer tool. This was offered to me for an additional 6 hours of labor. I not so politely declined and reiterated that they needed to follow the guided function from start to finish and that I was not paying any more money.

After consulting with a local Audi technician they had a eureka moment and followed the guided function and finished the car in a couple hours. Told me I could come pick it up. The front desk handed me my keys and no service advisor or technician was anywhere to be found.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Cuzoe- awesome BCM information! And a familiar sounding dealer story...

For the OP, here's the only saved thread I can find from when I was looking at adding front fogs:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
No problem. If you decide to go the OEM route and don't want to build your own harness/source connectors...

I ordered this. Wires were the right color, plenty (too) long, and the pins/connectors were correct all the way around... correction, the fog light wires were the right color, the wire from the BCM to light switch is supposed to be blue (I think).