What did you do to your MKIV today?

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Changed the battery in my car today. Wasn't starting when cold. Or at least it had enough power for one attempt. Starts good now.

Also discovered the plastic housing that connects to the engine by the coolant temp sensor is seeping coolant out. I guess I should try replacing the coolant temp sensor seal I bought like a year ago and never installed

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI

My 01 Tdi GLs I gave to my son 4 years ago, is definitely total. His wife was driving when she got rear ended. She’s ok.
Funny thing is the heater core went about roughly 10days ago, he ordered replacement from Idparts. The day the parts arrived is the same day it got totaled. That thing was in excellent shape, sorry to see it go. Yikes
Perfect for a Smythe Ute conversion (y)....

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Yeah, hoping between the 3 additional holes allows more circulation. Might be a bit before I get to test them out though
This is most perplexing...the Depo buckets I used have two liddle nipples, each with a rubber tube stuck on. Stuck inside this tube is a bit of open cell foam. Never yet had condensate.

The gore vents are going to let the vapor go where it wants. Most of the time that direction is the one you want it going...when it is not, rest assured liquid will appear.
cheers,
Douglas

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Got my best tank so far at 31mpg. Man, that's low. I think about 200 of that was highway, which helped - normally I'm driving just a couple of miles per day. I do think the tune helped a bit. Still need to get some time one of these weekends to swap in the new thermostat & coolant temp sensor.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well, I got new wheels on Savannah today, Maxxim Maze wheels from Discount Tire. They are about 16 lbs apiece compared to the Longbeaches (which I just put out on the classifieds) at 24 lbs. apiece. HUGE difference. Much lighter steering feel, brake pedal lighter, glides along better. Reminds me of way back when when I had the stock Avus wheels on. Downside is that she doesn't track straight as well - something I'll have to get used to - and requires more care to keep her pointed straight in a wind and in snow. Turns faster and easier as well. Should give me back 2.5mpg at the least. I will keep you posted on this but it'll be a few weeks as I don't drive all that much. I'm not sure about the look yet - I'll have to get used to them.

Interestingly I can no longer find these exact style of Maze wheels on their website. Mine are all silver. I'll post a pic later after I got out and wash the car and the Longbeaches.

Oh, I put my ecodes out in the classifieds as well in case anyone's interested.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Judson,
Congrats on the lighter wheels! As you say, the difference is immediate. For tracking I'd suggest getting an alignment
and adjust the fronts to have a 1/2 degree of toe in. Made all the difference for me at highway speeds, better tracking.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks I will consider that alignment change. It may be I need time to get used to them.

Acceleration is much better: like going from a DMF to a lightened flywheel. She wants to pull the tires off the wheels now. Didn’t expect that.

(Apologies in advance if the pic doesn't work or is too large - first time trying to post with the new method.)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I did track days with my Golf I had (still have, actually) Motegi Tracklites, 16x7, 12 lbs. Hoosier slicks, 20 lbs. Going from 16" OZs and summer tires to the Track tires made the car feel like it picked up a significant amount of power. Fun.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Fun and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car. I’ve said it before but it bears repeating: there’s nothing new out there of interest….

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Lubed the trunk latch on the Beetle tonight. This was after caulking around the 3rd brake light 2 days ago.

We're finally getting rain out here in So. California, and my leaking 3rd brake light was channeling water inside the trunk hatch and gumming up the latch. I had sealed around the top and sides of the 3rd brake light with clear OSI gutter guard, but didn't realize the latch mechanism was getting screwed up.

Popped off the trunk trim piece, lubed the mechanism, put DeOxit and dielectric grease on the electrical connectors (some were turning green). Of course I also broke off a few trim tabs, cause it's a VW.
Trunk closes nicely now.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Possibly blew a head gasket. 385K miles, toast synchros, all body/bushings are toast, starting to rust out. I swore I was going to drive this thing till the wheels fell off. Now I am contemplating if I want to fix it, or look into a newer TDI. Been a decent cor for the past 13 years, right up until about a year ago.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Possibly blew a head gasket. 385K miles, toast synchros, all body/bushings are toast, starting to rust out. I swore I was going to drive this thing till the wheels fell off. Now I am contemplating if I want to fix it, or look into a newer TDI. Been a decent cor for the past 13 years, right up until about a year ago.
Sounds like you kinda did drive it til death, even though the wheels technically stayed attached.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Washed my car. And then wanted to start working on my seat heater retrofit, but can't find where I put my damn seat heater swtiches pulled from my wrecked car.

And then did some work on my mk6, as noted in that "what did you do today" thread.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Towed my Golf from Texas to my GF's house in Kansas in preparation for my upcoming relocation to Wichita.

Tried to drive in reverse to get the car off the tow dolly, and it wouldn't come off of it. Little to no power whatsoever. I eventually got the car off and took it for a spin around the block.

Car felt "weird" while accelerating and had a very hard brake pedal.

Poked around a bit and found a section of the brake booster line cracked completely through and another section with cracks starting. I "band aided" one section with a piece of rubber glove and some electrical tape (If it's stupid, but it works then it's not stupid anymore). The section that was completely cracked through got some heater hose and zip ties. Took it for a spin and everything works again.

Ordered the right parts and I'll fix it correctly when I go up again in two weeks.
While you're in there, if you can afford it, I'd replace other stuff that might fail. I got lucky, since I had tools and my EGR heater bypass PEX nipple installed, because my heater core plastic flanges broke on my Golf. It's like a plastic-fiber composite. Well, 20 years of dealing with almost boiling temperatures didn't fare too well. I replaced some other problematic plastics as well, and figured it's better safe than sorry going forward.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Fun and a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car. I’ve said it before but it bears repeating: there’s nothing new out there of interest….
You got that right! And for those of us who like our third pedal - everything's an automatic. I tapped the brake pedal on my friend's Tesla several times, because I forgot there's no clutch.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Today's day was installing my rebuilt 11mm injection pump (swapped out my 10) and new nozzles. Yesterday was the upgraded SMIC. Mods are coming close to being done. Have been waiting for my vac pump gasket and some de pinning tools to replace my MAP connector. Weather out west has caused a 3 day delay. They arrived tonight so I will be able to hopefully finish the car on Sunday (except for gauges which are scheduled to be here end of January).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Put the Golf in Winter Mode:

Wasn't going to put snows on this year, but after getting caught in an ice storm in NH last weekend, I thought better of that choice.

Also replaced the injector return lines. They were getting a little porous and I was getting a bit of a diesel smell after a highway run.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol my son put 4 studded tires on his 2000 golf this year…….several years ago I put ASR mod on his car.
Very little will stop that car now……

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
Got new rear Billstein shocks and new rear Beef on a budget springs installed, before going to replace a voltage regulator on a friends 2006 E320 CDI. Brought ride height up from 27 inches from ground to middle of fender, to just a hair under 27 5/8. Going to replace the entire front end tomorrow. The new rear springs and shocks definitely made the car feel better planted to the ground. Old Billsteins had about 150k on them, and springs were probably original with 398k on them.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What springs are you putting on the front? "Beef on a budget" - does that have a brand; are those the Moog ones?
I put Mk4 wagon springs on the back (of my 2002 Golf, with new Bilstein B4) and debating re-using the OEM (which look OK, but with some rust) springs up front, or getting something a little more robust there, too.
Probably going to put the OEM 10mm spacer on when I put together the struts/springs as well.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nuje,
I'd recommend VR6 springs for the front WITH the 10mm spacer. I've got wagon towing springs on the rear,
car is slightly "raked", ~ 1"+ at the rear. Great if you do a bit of towing or carry much of a load.
I've got Koni Special Reds, NOT the FSD type, and firmed up the rear shocks by 25%.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Today's day was installing my rebuilt 11mm injection pump (swapped out my 10) and new nozzles. Yesterday was the upgraded SMIC. Mods are coming close to being done. Have been waiting for my vac pump gasket and some de pinning tools to replace my MAP connector. Weather out west has caused a 3 day delay. They arrived tonight so I will be able to hopefully finish the car on Sunday (except for gauges which are scheduled to be here end of January).
I bet you were happy. Despite the supposed fuel savings, I noticed a HUGE difference on my 2002 Golf when swapping the 10mm with the 11mm from my wrecked car. Now I'm curious what size nozzles you have.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I bet you were happy. Despite the supposed fuel savings, I noticed a HUGE difference on my 2002 Golf when swapping the 10mm with the 11mm from my wrecked car. Now I'm curious what size nozzles you have.
.230s. I'll probably do a writeup one I'm done, just for fun. I'll be happy if she starts like normal. There was a lot of work done that one time so you always wonder if it's going to be okay...

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
.230s. I'll probably do a writeup one I'm done, just for fun. I'll be happy if she starts like normal. There was a lot of work done that one time so you always wonder if it's going to be okay...
Just because there was a buncha stuff done at once does not mean you were any more careless with each step than if you did them one at a time... :)
cheers,
Douglas

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
What springs are you putting on the front? "Beef on a budget" - does that have a brand; are those the Moog ones?
I put Mk4 wagon springs on the back (of my 2002 Golf, with new Bilstein B4) and debating re-using the OEM (which look OK, but with some rust) springs up front, or getting something a little more robust there, too.
Probably going to put the OEM 10mm spacer on when I put together the struts/springs as well.
Yes, "Beef on a budget" is a set of all 4 springs that i.d. parts sells, and they are Moog brand. I know most everyone on here says these springs don't really wear out, but mine were SOFT. Car looks alot better now. Today I replaced the front springs, front struts/ strut bearings/ mounts, lca bushings, and inner and outer tie rods. And of course when I took it apart, I find BOTH of my Raxles have torn outer boots, and have slung grease everywhere. So I get to sort of redo this job in the very near future. On a positive note, the car feels 100 times better even without an alignment, no more crazy noises, etc. Don't really want to get an alignment before I re boot the Raxles, but don't want to ruin my tires either.

Last edited: