What Size Battery?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Need to replace the original battery in our Golf S. Is the right size H6, H7, group 48, ?
Thanks.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, thanks! Still, H6, etc. doesn’t apply?

The CCA spec on this battery is incredibly low. I need no less than 720 or so.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
VW, not sure if Europe in general, go by Ah rather than CCA. The higher the Ah, the better the battery.

If you get the part number of the thread I pointed to you will be upgrading to the biggest battery that fits...72Ah. That is the same size battery in my Passat, plenty of cranking power.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, thanks very much. Sounds good. Can I replace it myself without needing to do any coding for the ECU? That’s not something I could do.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
No need to code anything, unless you change to AGM type.

If you stick to part # 000 915 105 DG, just change the battery and yes there will be a few lights flashing when you start the car back up, but they'll go away after a few blocks of driving.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I have one of those memory savers that plug into OBD part and I plug it into a jump pack. If I do that and change battery, would I still get the flashing lights? I'm debating on having dealer just change it out while doing my 80k service, just need to check prices and sizes. I need to see what biggest battery I can fit in the '15 is, the H7 is 12.44" long. I'm just doing this as a preemptive service, as the battery is original to car, date code 2015, so it never got replaced when I bought it new in 2017....

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have one of those memory savers that plug into OBD part and I plug it into a jump pack. If I do that and change battery, would I still get the flashing lights? I'm debating on having dealer just change it out while doing my 80k service, just need to check prices and sizes. I need to see what biggest battery I can fit in the '15 is, the H7 is 12.44" long. I'm just doing this as a preemptive service, as the battery is original to car, date code 2015, so it never got replaced when I bought it new in 2017....
Yes, you'll still get some lights after a battery change in the Mk7. As pedro said above, lights indicate for 30 seconds and go away. It does not require a dealer nor any action on your part. The dealer will likely put your battery in backwards and upside down, while breaking something in the engine bay. The battery tray in the Mk7 is modular (see golfdave's how-to in the Mk7 forums thread), but the H6 fits nicely and is an "upgrade" if your was originally fitted with an H5 (and is the correct size compared to the gasser).

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So the battery holder tray is pretty easy to lengthen for the larger battery? I’d like to change it myself but since it’s outside it depends on the weather. I’m still unsure what to buy. AC Delco has one that seems very good. But where do I get one?

My understanding is that even if an AGM triggers dashboard lights, they vanish in a short time on their own.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The modular battery tray, as described in the threads, extends by removing a bolt and adjusting the spacing of the bracket. Prep car, disconnect battery, remove bolt, remove old battery, adjust bracket, install new battery, etc. It took me 7 minutes while parked in the lot next to the parts department.

I cannot speak to the swap from lead/acid to AGM. As said above and elsewhere, the Mk7 has a smarter charging system than your MkIVs. VCDS can be used to adjust the charging for AGM, etc. If no changes are made, the system may not charge the AGM in the most preferred manner. If you install a new battery of the same type, no changes need to be made.

If your Mk7 has a fabric battery blanket/cover from the H5 sized battery, the blanket will not fit as completely on the H6 (but can be adjusted to fit). They also sell a H6 sized battery blanket ("fiberglass sleeve"), but it's pricey (5Q0915411H).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I was quoted the "good-guy" price of $72 for the battery blanket; you know it's ridiculous when your parts guy gives the "whoa - WTH" eyebrow-raise-and-whistle as he's looking up the price.
I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over the not having battery's tea-cozy. My GSW came with a new battery - but the small H5 size; as soon as it's done its time, I'm upsizing and will ditch its little blanket.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Flooded battery it is, then. Is the outer cloth cover very important?
I removed the fabric cover and replaced it with VW's hard plastic battery cover. If the battery sleeve was cheaper, I'd buy one. The H5 sized version is desirable to many owners who don't have one already installed, so you can sell the smaller and put the money towards the larger size.

Is it very important? We've collectively gone a lot of years without using them...

Dave at the Mk7 forums (and elsewhere) has the following in his battery upgrade thread:

Battery Heat Shield
According to the VAG ERWIN Self-study guide, guide No.504 “Vehicle Batteries- Design & Function”, the engine bay is considered a high temperature place for the battery. This can adversely affect the durability of the battery due to:- “Corrosion of the positive grid, water consumption, & self-discharge increase.”. They also state that AGM batteries must retain the heat shields they have been installed with as they are more susceptible to heat damage. Conversely if your car wasn’t fitted with an AGM battery there is a chance that it won’t have the required heat shields & you will have to retro-fit them.

The heat shields for the battery in the Mk7 Golf is Item No.12, the black fabric type cover around the battery (actually a fiberglass sleeve), & Item No.13, the dark grey polystyrene slab fitted to the underside of the battery tray. These two items are not the best low-emissivity materials, i.e. shiny metal foils, & will absorb heat compared to them. However, they will provide a physical barrier to heat from the engine affecting the battery in summer & will insulate the battery in winter to stop cold temperatures affecting it. I added extra heat shielding to my battery, see below in "Further considerations on fitting".

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Although batteries have different labels, and can be made to different quality levels, there are only a few companies that actually produce batteries. That means pricing is not always associated with a better battery. I can't speak to specific comparisons, and the internet will likely provide you with lots of good information. The best car batteries I've used have been the made-in-Germany Varta from the VW dealer, which not every dealer carries. We got one over the summer for (her) Mk7, and it was under $150. AGM batteries, IMO, are still too costly for cars that don't rely on them for start/stop systems or other similar demands.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don’t need an AGM. Will look into Varta.

Do I just call numerous dealers to see if they have one?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I don’t need an AGM. Will look into Varta.

Do I just call numerous dealers to see if they have one?

Thanks.
Your nearest VW dealership will have one, however I had checked 3 dealerships in the Phx area, closest one was $20. higher than the other two, I asked and they price matched.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The dealers seem to rotate stock from Enertec to Varta to others. I called four dealers to see if they had a 72ah H6 Varta marked as "made in Germany," IIRC the others either didn't have one, or had Enertec. The H5 Entertec below says "made in Mexico," but it's possible they are made in numerous places. I used a VWofA coupon for $ off a new battery- they send them out every few months or so.

New H6 72ah Varta:

Old H5 60ah Enertec:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, you'll still get some lights after a battery change in the Mk7. As pedro said above, lights indicate for 30 seconds and go away. It does not require a dealer nor any action on your part. The dealer will likely put your battery in backwards and upside down, while breaking something in the engine bay. The battery tray in the Mk7 is modular (see golfdave's how-to in the Mk7 forums thread), but the H6 fits nicely and is an "upgrade" if your was originally fitted with an H5 (and is the correct size compared to the gasser).

They'll be doing the DSG fluid change, so battery comes out anyway, doesn't it? I was looking at an H7, but looks about an inch too long. The Walmart H6's are around $130 or $140...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know there is someone who put an H7 in their Mk7, which I would be tempted to do, but I found the thread late. I think it was at the Mk7 UK forums.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know there is someone who put an H7 in their Mk7, which I would be tempted to do, but I found the thread late. I think it was at the Mk7 UK forums.
Unless the battery could move toward firewall some more, I don't think it'd fit. But hey, maybe I'll buy an H7 and give it a whirl. I did stick a H8 in the MK4.....

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The person took out the modular tray and installed the whole plastic "battery box" found on some other models (maybe more so in the UK than here). It was a tight fit, but they were successful. I'll see if I can re-find the thread.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
H6 is a nice upgrade from the puny battery that comes with the car, H7 would be very awesome. Following.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stopped by Autozone today- saw a used H6 battery on shelf. Date code 11/21. They took all tags off, they only said H6. They think it was the Gold, 730cca,910ca. They marked it as used because a battery above it leaked on it some. It was $49.99 + $5 core..., then I had a $15 gift card. Next warmer day I may install it...

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
I put an Exide H6 in my BHW 2 days ago- 119 at Home Depot.

This X2, was looking at the Auto Zone and Advanced Auto batteries with the 3 year warranty, saw this, went to Home Depot and scored an H6 battery for $119, with a $12 core charge, nice.

reactor

TDI
mk7 sportwagen
I've replaced original battery lasted exactly 5 years to the month when i went to get new bigger version at costco