What did you do to your MKIV today?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Converted from small glovebox with the hinge-killing shock to a big box with a gear damper( and intact hinges). Glove box interior is now 50% larger. The AL extrusion and part of its mount have to go away in order for the big one to fit, and I have not bothered with worrying about light working on the inside... :) Color and nominal function will do.

Now to find the grey-insert, high bolster seat pair. I have a feeling that the Recaro's get all the love and these things get crushed. They fit skinny me pretty well.
cheers,
Douglas

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Clutch is done! Not too bad of a job either. A long time ago I bought the Harbor Freight transmission scissor jack - it's not high quality but really helps.
- I left the drive flanges on, but pushed the engine towards the radiator as far as possible and blocked it there with a 2x4
- I left both axles on but I did pop the driver's side ball joint (the tapered part) to pull that shaft further from the transmission. I covered both inner CV joints with a ziploc bag and bungee'd them up out of the way.
- Old clutch disc had lots of life left. Pressure plate and flywheel surfaces did not have any hot spots.
- The old DMF seemed siezed up. I had to rap the dowel pins with a hammer to get the plate to move enough to access the flywheel bolts. I did have a weird 'groan' when on and off the throttle in stop and go traffic. Looking forward to not hearing it anymore.
- new fork, pivot ball, pivot ball spring.
- Luk 17-050 clutch set installed.

The only weird thing was the driver's side drive flange had some damage where the inner edge was bent outward where the inner CV joint would bolt up against. I'm guessing the damage was with the previous owner when the inner cv joint broke. I used my Dremel with a grinding bit to knock down 4 decently high spots.

Glad to have it done and looking forward to not having it slip.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I hung out with KrashDH this weekend, and replaced the timing belt on my Jetta before helping him with some go-fast bits for his Golf.

The noteworthy part for my wrenching was the amazing conclusion of the job, as when I hooked up VCDS to find out what adjustments were needed to bring the timing into spec, it was dead on, halfway between the middle line and the upper threshold.
No adjustment required, exactly where I prefer to have my IP static timing set.

Here's to another 85,000 miles!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Sounds like fun to me Allen. I like a wee bit more advance; still within the limits, but decidedly close to the upper one... :) Am really liking the ALH...and the BEW is fast approaching another timing belt job. Those only get 80k miles in between...hoping my cam is still intact...LOL

For the ALH, I think you can go 100k with the good components... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I hung out with KrashDH this weekend, and replaced the timing belt on my Jetta before helping him with some go-fast bits for his Golf.

The noteworthy part for my wrenching was the amazing conclusion of the job, as when I hooked up VCDS to find out what adjustments were needed to bring the timing into spec, it was dead on, halfway between the middle line and the upper threshold.
No adjustment required, exactly where I prefer to have my IP static timing set.

Here's to another 85,000 miles!
Sounds like fun to me Allen. I like a wee bit more advance; still within the limits, but decidedly close to the upper one... :) Am really liking the ALH...and the BEW is fast approaching another timing belt job. Those only get 80k miles in between...hoping my cam is still intact...LOL

cheers,
Douglas
Photos or it never happened right?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
cheers,
Douglas
I bought the good components, but I was seeing the timing belt tensioner stretch indicator was in the hash for replacement interval.

I had also developed a slow coolant leak that I suspected was at the water pump.
It turned out the seal had hardened and was wicking around it. No damage on the seal, just it was no longer sealing against the block.

Photos or it never happened right?
Thanks for posting the pic, and for hosting the wrenching this weekend.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I bought the good components, but I was seeing the timing belt tensioner stretch indicator was in the hash for replacement interval.

I had also developed a slow coolant leak that I suspected was at the water pump.
It turned out the seal had hardened and was wicking around it. No damage on the seal, just it was no longer sealing against the block.

Thanks for posting the pic, and for hosting the wrenching this weekend.
Absolutely, lots of wrench turning! Now only an IP and injectors to go!
Also, I've never had a 100k kit last 100k. First one went about 50 until the waterpump shaft literally sheared off, second 100k kit developed a coolant leak from the WP seal at about 65k. Didn't want to risk it. Hopefully the current one goes longer than the last 2

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Absolutely, lots of wrench turning! Now only an IP and injectors to go!
Also, I've never had a 100k kit last 100k. First one went about 50 until the waterpump shaft literally sheared off, second 100k kit developed a coolant leak from the WP seal at about 65k. Didn't want to risk it. Hopefully the current one goes longer than the last 2
What brand pumps are you using? (just wondering)

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
No Shell oil anywhere right now. No Mobil 1 either. Domestic refiners are struggling to get additives.
Local Wal-Mart by me was cleaned out of Shell and Mobil. However, I bought 3 1-gal jugs of M1 TDT 5W40 Sunday morning on Amazon, got notice this morning it shipped (supposed to have it by Thursday).

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nappa is having a sale on the rotella T6 5-40w. I believe it’s 24.99 a gallon…..I ordered 4 . A lot of stores around me are bare shelved for the Mobil diesel and rotella T6 oils…..

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
This is more of an "ordered today" instead of "installed today" but I just acquired this section of seat from Korwerks. The rear armrest is one of the few OEM mods left of me to do, I just need to get it re-done in leather to match the rest of my car:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I installed a braided steel turbo feed line on my golf. Recently replaced the head on it with an oem one. By by Chinese head that was on it when I got it!
Now to renew the plates and drive it again! I've been driving my Passat mostly now. Now I just picked up another Passat wagon (the fourth one) which is a 1.8t 4 motion with a presumed bad transmission. It's the same Stonehenge grey that two of my other passats are, and has good rust free dent free panels to put on my beater, as well as some other goodies, like wheels and etc.
Anyway, back to my Mk4... I'm debating, should I keep it, or one of the Passats... Hmm.

Cosmo's UNA

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Slipped a plastic cardboard panel in front of the radiator. I was able to slip it in from the bottom in one piece. My wagon is missing the front valence, been looking out for one in the usual places, it will come to me.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
From what I see for parts prices and hear about regarding failures, the BHW is far more expensive to maintain than an ALH. My $.02.
Yeah, I know that, though this one has already had the balance shaft delete and a lot of other things done to it. It gets a lot lower fuel economy, but has a lot more room for my equipment and all. Currently I am using it as my daily driver, and fire response vehicle, so it's all kitted out with lights and siren and all.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn…..that’s a shame…….can’t buy it back and part it out?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI

My 01 Tdi GLs I gave to my son 4 years ago, is definitely total. His wife was driving when she got rear ended. She’s ok.
Funny thing is the heater core went about roughly 10days ago, he ordered replacement from Idparts. The day the parts arrived is the same day it got totaled. That thing was in excellent shape, sorry to see it go. Yikes
Sorry about your loss there man... Hope your son is okay and makes a speedy recovery. Whiplash ain't no joke.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
had to replace the alternator for the second time this year, here is to hoping this one lasts longer than the other one did!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Made some modifications to my projector retrofit while I'm waiting on parts to put my car back together. I've been having some condensation issues. There is a thing for headlights being sealed "too well". This was my case. I needed to let them circulate air better. The temp delta was creating a lot of condensation (it wasn't because of the lens to housing seal, that's a VERY good seal, I made sure of it when I put on glass lenses.

Added vent drain breather tubes:

Gore-tex breather stickers:

You can just see where the tubes clear the sheetmetal too. I kind of lucked out with where I put them in the housing:

Passenger side nestled between the intercooler boot and the sheetmetal:

Waiting for my SMIC to arrive, then once that's here I can button up the bottom end, and focus on getting my IP and injectors installed

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Towed my wagon to a body shop of someone I used to work for like 12 years ago. Also went to the local pick n pull and grabbed a replacement bumper and impact bar, sounds like they're going to start on it Monday. Gave them a courtesy warning about the stiff clutch ;)

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
Towed my wagon to a body shop of someone I used to work for like 12 years ago. Also went to the local pick n pull and grabbed a replacement bumper and impact bar, sounds like they're going to start on it Monday. Gave them a courtesy warning about the stiff clutch ;)
Were you able to get insurance to pay for it outright, or did they total it and you had to buy it back first?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Nappa is having a sale on the rotella T6 5-40w. I believe it’s 24.99 a gallon…..I ordered 4 . A lot of stores around me are bare shelved for the Mobil diesel and rotella T6 oils…..
Hahahaha-good luck with rotella-I saw it was on sale couple weeks ago and placed online order for local store for 3 gallons(tried 4, but said not enough)-days went by then got the cancellation notice... only place local to me that had a bit of the 5W-40 was an Advance in Rochester. I ordered 3-2 packs for $59.99 each and had a camo Rotella hat and supposed to get a rebate, but when I looked at box, the rebate was supposed to be submitted in 2019 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ..... Mk4 related bit, swapped the snow tires over to Jetta. Doing that got rid of the majority of my brake pedal pulsing. Still does it, but not as bad. I also noticed the rear rotors had a good buildup of rust on the surface of rotors:rolleyes:, and pads are 1/2 worn-2 years old and about 36k miles on them. Guess I'll replace them and check out calipers again( 2years old)...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hahahaha-good luck with rotella-I saw it was on sale couple weeks ago and placed online order for local store for 3 gallons(tried 4, but said not enough)-days went by then got the cancellation notice... only place local to me that had a bit of the 5W-40 was an Advance in Rochester. I ordered 3-2 packs for $59.99 each and had a camo Rotella hat and supposed to get a rebate, but when I looked at box, the rebate was supposed to be submitted in 2019 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .....

Don’t know what the problem up in your area is…… I ordered mine Saturday afternoon and had 4 gallons Monday morning. They apologized that they couldn’t get it for me that Saturday , I told them no problem as I was looking to stock up.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Were you able to get insurance to pay for it outright, or did they total it and you had to buy it back first?
Surprisingly they estimated the repairs about $1300 and didn't total it. They said supplying my own parts make the overall repair quote cheaper so it helps with that.