'96 B4 Sedan in Arizona Junkyard, anyone need parts?

volksguy

Veteran Member
Hello it just Unplugs from the fuse box Harnesses a 2 wire plug that goes threw the firewall. Under the master Cylinder up to the front bumper

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Doesn't that wire go all the way through the firewall with no junction until the CE2 block? I could be wrong, since it was years ago that I dug one of those out, but that seems like a lot of work for a part that's likely getting hacked into a non-OEM car. Especially if it's going on ebay (mine didn't).
Yes, it's not really that complicated, just two wires that run uninterrupted from the sensor to the fuse panel. They run through their own rubber grommet too.

I'm not sure where it connects at the fuse box...actually I just don't remember...lol

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Yes, it's not really that complicated, just two wires that run uninterrupted from the sensor to the fuse panel. They run through their own rubber grommet too.

I'm not sure where it connects at the fuse box...actually I just don't remember...lol
I understand now. I heard you guys talking about the wire being cut unnecessarily, and assumed that ebay part was just the sensor with a few inches of cut wire. Now that i looked at the ebay listing, I see it actually included the whole wire and grommet and everything... and yes, there was no reason to cut the wire.

You never know what you're getting from someone else's junked car. There's a guy in the Mk5 forum who bought a used tranny with the TDI code stamped on the case, but after driving it, the rpm's were too high. Every single gear ratio 1 thru 5 matched a gasser tranny.

snoopy smiles

TDI
B4 and Touareg
We moved to Prescott Arizona area last march and I finally went to the local U-Pick It a month ago. There was only one white '96 B4 GLX and it was pretty much stripped, but I did manage to get a few pieces off it like the rear ABS sensors and shield mounts.

Yesterday there was a red '96 B4 TDI sedan that arrived and it's complete and unmolested. I grabbed the cluster, front marker lights, and passengers door handle, and today I'm going back for the ECU (GQ). Does anyone need any other parts from it? It's still complete at this point and in decent shape with no rust (I love Arizona). It has a tan interior and sunroof, mileage unknown as I haven't powered up the cluster yet. Keep in mind I won't ship large parts like body panels, seats, or doors, but can pull them if you want to drive to pick them up. Shipping small parts is bad enough. There is also an A4 TDI 5 speed if anyone needs parts.

I am not looking to make this into a business, nor do I want to spend hours pulling parts. I am merely doing this because I know how hard some of the parts are getting to find. There is only 1 B4 sedan (TDI) local to me that I have seen, and it's a POS to the point I haven't wanted to speak to the owner for fear he'll ask me to "help" with it. I am all too familiar with how that works.

Let me know what might be needed and I'll see what I can do. Include your phone number so we can talk and call in real time when I'm there in case the part isn't in good shape. I don't want to pay for something and then get stuck with it because you decided you didn't want it at the last minute.
I am looking for seats for a B4 - am about 3 hours from you and would be glad to come and get them. Would like to talk with you. 541-591-1430 Thank you

Last edited:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Need the drivers side side marker "light" (the triangular shaped one), mine fell victim to a car wash. Also the sun visor clips if still available. Only need the drivers side, but will take both.

kmjunge

TDI
Eurovan 1z Conversion, 1998 Jetta AHU, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I don't suppose there is a T24 orb of death connector available on one of these cars. I'd be interested in one or two of those.

kmjunge

TDI
Eurovan 1z Conversion, 1998 Jetta AHU, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I'll take the one from the B4.

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Are the rubber spacers on the rear struts still there? I threw my originals out when I switched to coilovers but need them now as I'm going to Bilstein HDs

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Are they the same? Don’t need them, just curious.

-Todd
No they aren't they same.

This is what VW says uses the T24 (3A0973103) connector...but even that I think is not accurate. I would bet that the VR6 Eurovan does not use the same one, and notice that the B4 TDI cars are not listed at all, which we know is not correct since they should be there.

Further, VW didn't bother to denote the engine for the Golf or Jetta, which we know has to be TDI to use the same connector. This is why I take what VW says with a huge grain of salt....

Steve

EDIT:

Oddly enough the above is only half right. The part number on the female side of the connector (harness side) I have is 3A0973121. The part number on the male side (engine side) of this is 3A0973131 and the application list is more complete if still less than specific about the Mk3 and B4 engines it covers.

It still doesn't change the fact that the only sources now for these are used pieces, at least unless Heritage has some, which I haven't checked on.

Steve

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Are the rubber spacers on the rear struts still there? I threw my originals out when I switched to coilovers but need them now as I'm going to Bilstein HDs
The struts are still in it, but I’m not removing the interior to get the struts off, then disassembling them in the junkyard using spring compressors just to get the rubber spacers to ship them to Canada. Not unless significant $$$ comes my way first. Sorry.

kemalik84

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg TDI, B4 97, 96B4V, MK5 TDI Jetta, Vanagon(non-TDI) soon to be converted
We moved to Prescott Arizona area last march and I finally went to the local U-Pick It a month ago. There was only one white '96 B4 GLX and it was pretty much stripped, but I did manage to get a few pieces off it like the rear ABS sensors and shield mounts.

Yesterday there was a red '96 B4 TDI sedan that arrived and it's complete and unmolested. I grabbed the cluster, front marker lights, and passengers door handle, and today I'm going back for the ECU (GQ). Does anyone need any other parts from it? It's still complete at this point and in decent shape with no rust (I love Arizona). It has a tan interior and sunroof, mileage unknown as I haven't powered up the cluster yet. Keep in mind I won't ship large parts like body panels, seats, or doors, but can pull them if you want to drive to pick them up. Shipping small parts is bad enough. There is also an A4 TDI 5 speed if anyone needs parts.

I am not looking to make this into a business, nor do I want to spend hours pulling parts. I am merely doing this because I know how hard some of the parts are getting to find. There is only 1 B4 sedan (TDI) local to me that I have seen, and it's a POS to the point I haven't wanted to speak to the owner for fear he'll ask me to "help" with it. I am all too familiar with how that works.

Let me know what might be needed and I'll see what I can do. Include your phone number so we can talk and call in real time when I'm there in case the part isn't in good shape. I don't want to pay for something and then get stuck with it because you decided you didn't want it at the last minute.
How many miles were on it. Could you get the harness for the cluster off of it?

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Etka is giving me 3A0973131 for the engine side, and 3A0973103 for the chassis sid
The struts are still in it, but I’m not removing the interior to get the struts off, then disassembling them in the junkyard using spring compressors just to get the rubber spacers to ship them to Canada. Not unless significant $$$ comes my way first. Sorry.
No worries. Might just order a set from Latvia or something. For some reason I thought the sedans had an easier time of accessing the rear struts but I just looked it up and it seems just as annoying as the wagons....

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Etka is giving me 3A0973131 for the engine side, and 3A0973103 for the chassis sid

No worries. Might just order a set from Latvia or something. For some reason I thought the sedans had an easier time of accessing the rear struts but I just looked it up and it seems just as annoying as the wagons....
Sedan and wagon have the same suspension although spring rates are different. I dismantled a wagon rear suspension a year or so ago but I don't remember whether I kept the cushions or not. I was after the springs so probably not.

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
obviously you can't read. he pulled the cluster that's why there is no cluster.. Learn to read prior to commenting
Not gonna re-read 80 posts going back 2 months to make sense out of what looks like nonsense.

What doesn't look like nonsense, is that Abacus generously offered to pull parts for people who need them, and some of them are taking his generosity for granted and demanding way too much.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Mark
They don't appear to be readily available anywhere. I have looked in the aftermarket suppliers and they aren't carried anywhere here. Maybe Eastern Europe, but not in the US. They're not sold as part of the rear strut mounting kit either. It's unfortunate, because they do need to be replaced at some point.

Steve

333512149B

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Apologies, I thought he was mentioning #4.

I’ll see what I can do.
Cheers, thanks!

They do need to be dismantled to removed #6 though. The struts shouldn't be under much tension iirc. When I dismantled mine I just took the nut off with an impact and the spring basically fell off, didn't shoot anywhere or need a spring compressor.

Mark
They don't appear to be readily available anywhere. I have looked in the aftermarket suppliers and they aren't carried anywhere here. Maybe Eastern Europe, but not in the US. They're not sold as part of the rear strut mounting kit either. It's unfortunate, because they do need to be replaced at some point.

Steve

333512149B

Yeah 6 is NLA everywhere in the western hemisphere. There seems to be quite a few available from an Ebay seller in Latvia but would come out to almost $60 each side after shipping. #20 is also NLA everywhere if you wouldn't mind saving that as well

QuadRacer31

TDI
96 Passat TDI
I need the trim for the exterior of the C pillar. Its about 4-5 inches long and maybe 2 inches high. I also need the rear view mirror covers for the inside of both front doors. Thanks.

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat

If the triangular plastic screw cover trim pieces near the front/back windows are black, and still available, I would be interested.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Not gonna re-read 80 posts going back 2 months to make sense out of what looks like nonsense.

What doesn't look like nonsense, is that Abacus generously offered to pull parts for people who need them, and some of them are taking his generosity for granted and demanding way too much.
Mark did actually mention in the first post that he'd pulled the cluster, so the question about miles was not unreasonable.

Steve